“July 4th weekend”

A Beach Retreat on Casey Key
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Nokomis
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My family and I booked well in advance. At the time of the initial booking, the room we really wanted was available for our first night, so we booked 2 different rooms for the stay. In May, we received a call from Natalie stating that there had been a cancellation and she could get us into a different room for the entire stay. We jumped at the chance. The cost was a little more, but we would be right on the beach vs the pool. When we arrived the room was just as it looks online. Clean, and ready for a great family weekend. Everything was great. The outdoor shower was nice, however, a foot shower would have been better. Overall, I will be staying there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank smont
There are newer reviews for A Beach Retreat on Casey Key

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We are locals, so we love having a place that we can get to very fast but it still feels like a real vacation. The staff is excellent and the rooms are great. Cleaning staff is great too. I was given peeks into the vacant rooms to help me decide which rooms were the best for my family for my NEXT visit. Nokomis beach is never full of tourists and is always a great time. We've made this place an annual vacation spot for the time right before school starts. LOOOOOVE it. I have a few tips ... bring ice and lots of towels. There is no ice maker and no daily housekeeping (not that the bath towels are good for the beach anyway). Walmart is a mile or so north on Tamiami and the race trac gas station just north on Tamiami has great coffee!

Room Tip: the website is great for showing you where the rooms are as well as their view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank 765kristenr
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Good: The staff was friendly and nice. The beach is gorgeous and at A Beach Retreat you're literally just steps from it. We stayed in the "bridal suite" as they say call it as it is a favorite of newlyweds and it is the "best" room for the view. It is on the second floor and has big picture windows with beautiful ocean views. The price is economical compared to Sarasota beach stays. Close to Tamiami Trail and restaurants/shops.

The Bad: Most uncomfortable bed I have slept on in my life! And I slept on a concrete floor with a futon for a few years. This thing was like a slab of the hardest stone you can think of. I love an extra firm bed, but this was ridiculous. My poor husband couldn't take it for more than a few minutes and ended up sleeping on sofa pillows he pushed together on the floor and wrapped a sheet around. The pull out sofa bed was not any better. So much for "romance".

The kitchen smells like "roach infestation". If you live in Florida, you know that smell. It is distinct and nauseating. You do not get this smell from a few roaches. There has to be a real infestation going on. It was most prevalent by the stove. I did not cook in this kitchen. I put everything in the fridge and did not eat off of anything without washing it first in hot water and soap! Several of the glasses had lipstick and/or food particles on them too.

Towels are like sandpaper. Thin and rough.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Sharon1967Tampa
BeachRetreatManager, Manager at A Beach Retreat on Casey Key, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2014

We always appreciate people taking the time to send comments. We really listen to online travel reviews to let our staff know when they have done something exceptional as well as be able to immediately correct and improve something that a guest may not have had time to tell us about during their stay. We appreciate your nice words regarding our friendly staff and our gorgeous beach/location. We sincerely apologize for any discomfort you felt during your stay. After reading this review & inspecting your room, we did find a hole in the drywall behind the stove that did produce a musty smell which we have since repaired and fixed. None of our rooms have ever had any kind of bug infestation. We have monthly pest control service and in the event any bugs are ever seen, they come right out to address it. The owner has also purchased a memory foam pad for the mattress for any guests that prefer a softer mattress. All of our units are individually owned and furnished, so hopefully you will come back and give us another opportunity to show you the high level of cleanliness and service our guests are accustomed to.

Natalie Foster
Property Manager
A Beach Retreat on Casey Key

Reviewed 11 May 2014

If you would like to visit Florida like it was in the past, then you will enjoy this location. Quiet, restful, and a great staff to help you with your needs. You can fish, even have docks to leave your boat, walk the beach, and just relax. I also enjoy to meet new people and talk to the guest there, everyone is friendly and polite. This is my location when I visit the area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rb C
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We really enjoyed our stay for our 30th anniversary . Friendly & helpful staff. Nicely remodeled. We are already planning a future trip with our adult children and friends . We feel it's a great place to have family & friends join you.

Room Tip: unit #41 Light comes in between blinds so hard to sleep til husband covered windows & no ceiling...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zellar
Reviewed 28 April 2014

If you are a beach walker, this is a perfect location. The walk to the North Jetty, where the little fish camp opens at 5AM for coffee, bait etc. was my morning routine. The patio areas are inviting and the comfortable beach lounge chairs are a plus. I rented a small unit with 2 twin beds. Nice decor and a much better than average walk in shower.It had a high table with 2 chairs. The beds had wheels, so I rolled away from the wall if I tried to lean back and read. Didn't think to check if wheels locked. If I were
to stay again (and I certainly hope to), I'd buy
a lawn chair to have a more comfortable place to sit. Loved that I could walk across the bridge and be at 2 waterfront restaurants.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We have a group of family and friends that rent every room on the property. It's like our own beachfront property and is just so much fun! We do cookouts in the courtyard along with having music and dancing, we laze on the beach all day long and on Saturday afternoon/evenings they have the drum circle where the girls put on their gypsy skirts and dance in the circle to the drums while watching the beautiful sunset. The rooms are clean and beautifully decorated and are spacious. The staff is just so nice but they are also very respectful of our privacy. The pool is nice to jump in to after being on the beach all day long and the boat docks on the canal are great to have for those that bring their boats. A Beach Retreat is just a great place to go to relax and enjoy life. I look forward to this vacation every year!

Room Tip: Rooms across the street on the canal side and rooms around the small courtyard are quieter. Rooms su...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jo Ann W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nokomis
Inn at the Beach
Gulf Shore Beach Resort
Gulf Shore Beach Resort
#8 of 12 in Nokomis
On the Beach- Casey Key

Been to A Beach Retreat on Casey Key? Share your experiences!