“Trouble Free Vacation”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Captiva Island
Park City, Utah
“Trouble Free Vacation”
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

This was a nice place. It's not fancy, so don't expect top resort accommodations, but it was perfect for this vacation. Our Gulf Cottage was fine and we were comfortable. The Gulf cottages are a little closer to the north side, but not within walking distance to the main pool. There is a trolley that runs through out the day, but you will have to wait a bit for them. I would recommend a golf cart or car. You can only drive the golf carts to a certain point so if you want to explore other parts of the island, you need a car. I had a nice time with my family here and would go back.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
SouthSeasCaptiva, Guest Relations Manager at South Seas Island Resort, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Thank you for staying at South Seas Island Resort and sharing your experience. We look forward to your return.

Dir of Guest Relations, South Seas Island Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (925)
  • Finnish first
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

We benefited so much from many of the reviews on here, we wanted to share our experience from our recent trip and hopefully help others as they plan their trip.
We arrived late on Tuesday night into Fort Myers so stayed at a hotel near the airport. Loaded up on food and such the next morning at a super target after picking up our rental car back at the airport. Tip: our lands end condo had all the necessary cooking and eating utensils but no oils, spices, salt/pepper...
Payed the $6 toll to cross over onto the island and called the resort to let them know we were on our way(around 12:30pm). They said they'd do what they could to get us a room right away. Check-in went smooth and they did have our condo ready. We had Lands End #1625 and it was amazing. Our view was of Red Fish Pass and the Gulf just over one of the fairways of the golf course. As many of the reviews have stated, the grounds are very well taken care of.
Our kids(4.5 and 1.5 yrs old) were up early each morning and so we took part of the 9 am daily activity at Scully's. The staff there are great! Our son really took to Debbie. We were impressed that after just one meeting with Debbie and Jason, they both called our son by his name when we saw them later. When asked what he was going to miss the most, our son said Debbie and Scully(the parrot mascot)--thank you for making such a great impression on him!
We did the family photo session Wed. night--she did an awesome job and the photos turned out great!
We did the pools, bubble-ology, fishing off the T-dock, crab races, tie-dye, crayola canvas, some of the scout-about scavenger hunt and, of course, the beach. They were doing the beach revitalization project while we were there, but it Wasn't really an issue, it's a pretty awesome process actually! Beach attendants were very helpful. Found lots of shells--may want to get aqua socks to protect your feet in the water from the shells. Also, get the Noooooo No-See-Um spray at any if the island stores or on the property.
Ate at Doc Fords and the Pointe for dinner(the Point was serving for the Harborside while it was undergoing renovations). Both were good, a little pricey at the Point/Harborside. Also had some ice cream at Scoops and it was good as well.
Loved that we could participate in the activities with our son and create those memories with him.
We're already planning our return trip next year and plan on bringing the grandparents as well.

Stayed November 2013
3 Thank Birdnbec
SouthSeasCaptiva, Guest Relations Manager at South Seas Island Resort, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Thank you for coming to South Seas Island Resort and sharing your experience. We appreciate your kind words and have shared your review with Jason, Debbie, and the entire South Seas team. We look forward to your return to Sanibel/Captiva.

Virginia beach, va
Reviewed 9 November 2013

To the staff at South Seas,

I am writing this from my room at your resort...

My husband and I eagerly left our children for the first time to celebrate a dear friends wedding and enjoy a vacation at your resort. However, we have been here two days now and have been met with less than stellar "resort" amenities.

Today at the pool - we grabbed some lounge chairs and were hoping to order lunch. No one ever came by. Benefit of the doubt - you must be busy...we'll keep waiting. At this point, some friends joined us and we now had a party of six hoping to get drinks and lounge by the pool. No one came by. So the guys went and grabbed drinks for the group and I tried to find someone with a menu. I was given a menu - we decided what we wanted but no one came by. So I walked up to the restaurant and was told they would get someone who did poolside service to take my order. I waited about 10 minutes. I ordered and our food came but after awhile we wanted to order more drinks. So I went and talked with Steve, who was managing the desk at the entrance and he was extremely apologetic and said he would find someone to help us. Please keep in mind we are paying $18 per person for these "resort" amenities... and what's the point of relaxing poolside if every time you need a drink or something to eat you have to get up, put your shoes on, your cover up on and go hunt someone down. Not relaxing...

So another hour passes...NO one has come by... so I go find Steve again and he is even more apologetic and promises someone will be right over. He comes to our group and apologizes, says Andrew will take care of us and the manager will be over...I tell him that is not necessary but he felt awful and wanted to make it right. We order more food and that was the last time we saw someone. Another hour goes by and now we're ready to leave and on our way out Steve asks if things were better and I told him honestly no and the manager never came by. So once again, Steve becomes determined to make it right and says he will call our room with a solution... Well Suzanne (the poolside manager who never came by) leaves a message and says (verbatim) "This is Suzanne, manager down at the pool, I heard you had some problems today and if you would like to discuss them you can call me at extension..."

Seriously? Where's the customer service? Just a polite apology would had sufficed. But now I have to call her back to "discuss" MY problems? Speechless...

In addition, here are some things that weren't biggies but a little off putting for paying $340.00 a night.

The iron was so old (what I'm assuming)...when my husband went to iron his white pants blobs of brownish water (think it was rust) came out all over his pants...Unfortunately, he had to wear those to the wedding like that.

The community toilets are like public restrooms you would find at a ball game or a park...slight smell, a few are clogged, toilet paper floating on the ground...again NOT a big deal but definitely not a resort bathroom.

The pool chairs look like they could use a good power wash...they are weathered and not kept clean.

It seems like ten years ago - this resort was probably at the top of their game. But now it has a feeling of outdated, and a lack of PRIDE in what has the potential to be just a stunning destination for families or for couples. It really is beautiful!

Room Tip: It seems all of the rooms are kept up differently - almost like private residences. Make sure you as...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kate R
Thank you for letting us know that you had some less than stellar experiences during your first day. I'm glad we were able to connect while you were here and address your concerns. If I can be of assistance on your next trip to Captiva, please let me know.

Dir of Guest Relations
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

This is our third time at South Seas. We traveled with our 2 boys, ages 10 and 7. We stayed in a harbourview room with a beautiful water view and watched the sunrise every morning from our balcony. At times, we felt as though we had the resort to ourselves. My older son loved fishing off the T dock and at the beach. There was a wedding the first night we arrived and I asked the front desk for a move due to the noise. They quickly accommodated us with no problem. All of the people working at the resort were extremely friendly and helpful - especially the staff at the pool and water slides. There was a nIce big bathroom with two sinks in our junior suite and so much to do outside that we did not spend much time in the room. We will definitely be back - thinking of trying the marina villas next time.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for coming back to South Seas Island Resort. We appreciate your continued visits to Captiva and we're so glad you enjoyed yourself once again. For your next visit, the Marina Villas are two bedroom accommodations that feature a master bedroom with a king bed, a second bedroom with two twin beds, living room, lanai, and full kitchen. They also have their own association pool for when you just want a quick dip in a pool. If I can help you plan your next visit, please let me know.

All the best,
tampa, fl
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at South Seas, and we really enjoyed it. It's a lovely, well maintained resort. We were in a recently upgraded beach villa overlooking one of the pools and the osprey perch/nest. It's not right on the beach, but it's close. You can see the water, though, and I like seeing the greenery and watching the birds it attracts. The furnishings were very nice and comfortable, especially the bed, and all of the linens were of very good quality. I enjoyed hanging out on the beach and since we paid the resort fee I didn't have to lug an umbrella, chair, and towels down to the beach every day. That was a real luxury for me! Had a couple of great dinners at Doc Ford's and a good breakfast at the resort restaurant. Service was iffy in the restaurant, but not too bad. Got breakfast sandwiches and lunch sandwiches from the Provisions Store. Pricey but great quality and quantity. One sandwich made two meals for me. Everyone working at the resort was very pleasant. They were doing the beach restoration project (which was fascinating to see), but it really didn't cause any problems. it wasn't too loud; even where they were working up at Sunset Beach we were surprised that it wasn't noisier. They were removing the pipes the last couple days and the beach looked so beautiful. We will definitely be coming back. We might come with friends and try one of the beach cottages next time, but we really liked the villa too. We wandered around North Village and decided we preferred the quietness and location of South Village. About the only thing they could improve in the villa is there are no places to hang towels or washclothes in the bathroom and there isn't a lot of counter space in the bedroom. The nightstands were small and round (awkward to use). Other than that, which was easy to work around, the villa was perfect.

Room Tip: We asked for an upgraded villa on the second floor. It was very quiet and we loved the view from the...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Georgiecat
Thank you for staying at South Seas Island Resort. I'm so glad you enjoyed your time with us and we look forward to your return. I'm also happy to say that the beach restoration project is over and that the beach is the best I have ever seen it. It now consistently about 200ft of dry beach area up the entire 2.5 miles of beach along the Gulf of Mexico.

Again I thank you for coming to South Seas and we look forward to your return.

Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Just got back from a weekend vacation at this resort and have returned with great memories! I was worried that there wouldn't be enough for my toddler to enjoy and boy was I wrong. From Skully's to fishing on the pier to the great pool set up, he was happily entertained the whole time. And Scoops & Slices was a perfect place for all of us to "kid" around and enjoy some pizza and ice cream.
We stayed in a Harbourside Marina View room and the sunrise view with the sun hitting the boats was b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l. (rm 1707) For the most part everything was clean in the room. The room was never hot, but that's because it seemed like the AC ran every 5 min. It wasn't "too" loud, but was kind of annoying at first.
Gotta say, the entire staff at this resort are A+++. Never did I encounter a foul mood or an unwillingness to help and/or go above and beyond. Seriously superior friendliness at every turn from the restaurants to random workers that we asked for directions! Special shout out to Chrestena (?) at the Harbourside Bar & Grill and the woman (can't remember her name) at Scoops. So nice, both of them!
We will definitely return!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Thanks for bringing your family to South Seas Island Resort. We take great pride in reading reviews in which we accomplish our goal - creating a truly memorable vacation experience for guests of all ages.

We look forward to your next visit to Captiva.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We just got back from our wedding at South Seas Island Resort. It was simply and utterly perfect. Our guests had the most wonderful time and everyone keeps asking if we can renew our vows already next year! The resort is picture perfect, with the most beautiful sunsets! Staff are friendly and welcoming, and we received the best service for our rehearsal dinner, wedding reception and brunch. It really is the perfect resort for any age- there is a lot to do! Regardless of the fact that we had our wedding there- we will be back as guests soon! Highly recommend the resort.

Room Tip: Go for a room at the North Pointe over looking the ocean. You can see the sun rise from your bed! Si...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
On behalf of the entire team at South Seas Island Resort, congratulations! Thank you for choosing South Seas for your destination wedding and we are so glad that you and your guests enjoyed yourselves.

Please let me know if I can assist you in planning your next getaway to Captiva.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Captiva Island
#6 of 47 in Fort Myers Beach
West Wind Inn
West Wind Inn
#5 of 19 in Sanibel Island

Been to South Seas Island Resort? Share your experiences!