“Love this resort”

South Seas Island Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Captiva Island
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Very quiet, clean and comfortable. Have the choice to use golf carts to get around or your car. Can also pay for trolley transportation to pools along with umbrella and chair rentals. Just a very nice place to spend a week under the sun resting.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms have the best view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MimiStans
Write a ReviewReviews (3,460)

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed at South Seas Nov 6 to 8, seeking rest and relaxation. Resort and room were in great shape, beach renovations complete and all restaurants were open. We were very satisfied with this part of the trip.
Unfortunately, we must have booked a time when many schools were on break or else parents are very comfortable taking their kids out of school. We did our best to relax poolside, overlooking the harbor, but, there were many families in all three pools. Caveat, if you are seeking peace and quiet, be sure to check out when children have school break. Has anyone ever considered an adults only pool with enforcement by staff?
Staff at hotel were disengaged, as well. All team members, excluding a few pool attendants need to attend some type of customer service training, especially front desk team members.
Nice trip overall, just a couple of caveats to be aware of, did not ruin the trip, but both issues were a surprise considering this is such a nice resort.

Room Tip: Harborside guest rooms overlooking the marina are great location, enjoy watching the marina activiti...
2  Thank mcs49
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I don't even know where to start when it comes to describing our experience at South Seas! Memorable definitely comes to mind. We really enjoyed everything about the resort! Our room was great, and had a perfect view of the Harbour Marina. We loved being surrounded by water! The grounds were extremely well kept. We loved the fact that everything was in walking distance. I truly don't have anything negative to say about our trip. My only recommendation would be to get more waiter/waitresses at poolside. The service was very slow...this is not a negative comment, as we were extremely relaxed, but just a recommendation. I really liked the fact that the front desk called our room on our 3rd day just to check in and make sure everything was at our liking. It's the little things like that that stick in my mind. Also, I called ahead of time to arrange rose petals and wine be set up in the room. I the only direction I gave was that I would like to have some petals on the floor like a walk way and some sprinkled on the bed. Well, they went above and beyond and made a heart out of the petals on the bed! Definitely a beautiful touch. And I think we came at a great time because the resort was not crowded at all. Sometimes it felt like we had the resort all to ourselves! Thank you South Seas Island Resort! :)

Reviewed 12 November 2013

This was a nice place. It's not fancy, so don't expect top resort accommodations, but it was perfect for this vacation. Our Gulf Cottage was fine and we were comfortable. The Gulf cottages are a little closer to the north side, but not within walking distance to the main pool. There is a trolley that runs through out the day, but you will have to wait a bit for them. I would recommend a golf cart or car. You can only drive the golf carts to a certain point so if you want to explore other parts of the island, you need a car. I had a nice time with my family here and would go back.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
SouthSeasCaptiva, Guest Relations Manager at South Seas Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Thank you for staying at South Seas Island Resort and sharing your experience. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

We benefited so much from many of the reviews on here, we wanted to share our experience from our recent trip and hopefully help others as they plan their trip.
We arrived late on Tuesday night into Fort Myers so stayed at a hotel near the airport. Loaded up on food and such the next morning at a super target after picking up our rental car back at the airport. Tip: our lands end condo had all the necessary cooking and eating utensils but no oils, spices, salt/pepper...
Payed the $6 toll to cross over onto the island and called the resort to let them know we were on our way(around 12:30pm). They said they'd do what they could to get us a room right away. Check-in went smooth and they did have our condo ready. We had Lands End #1625 and it was amazing. Our view was of Red Fish Pass and the Gulf just over one of the fairways of the golf course. As many of the reviews have stated, the grounds are very well taken care of.
Our kids(4.5 and 1.5 yrs old) were up early each morning and so we took part of the 9 am daily activity at Scully's. The staff there are great! Our son really took to Debbie. We were impressed that after just one meeting with Debbie and Jason, they both called our son by his name when we saw them later. When asked what he was going to miss the most, our son said Debbie and Scully(the parrot mascot)--thank you for making such a great impression on him!
We did the family photo session Wed. night--she did an awesome job and the photos turned out great!
We did the pools, bubble-ology, fishing off the T-dock, crab races, tie-dye, crayola canvas, some of the scout-about scavenger hunt and, of course, the beach. They were doing the beach revitalization project while we were there, but it Wasn't really an issue, it's a pretty awesome process actually! Beach attendants were very helpful. Found lots of shells--may want to get aqua socks to protect your feet in the water from the shells. Also, get the Noooooo No-See-Um spray at any if the island stores or on the property.
Ate at Doc Fords and the Pointe for dinner(the Point was serving for the Harborside while it was undergoing renovations). Both were good, a little pricey at the Point/Harborside. Also had some ice cream at Scoops and it was good as well.
Loved that we could participate in the activities with our son and create those memories with him.
We're already planning our return trip next year and plan on bringing the grandparents as well.

Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank Birdnbec
SouthSeasCaptiva, Guest Relations Manager at South Seas Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Thank you for coming to South Seas Island Resort and sharing your experience. We appreciate your kind words and have shared your review with Jason, Debbie, and the entire South Seas team. We look forward to your return to Sanibel/Captiva.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

To the staff at South Seas,

I am writing this from my room at your resort...

My husband and I eagerly left our children for the first time to celebrate a dear friends wedding and enjoy a vacation at your resort. However, we have been here two days now and have been met with less than stellar "resort" amenities.

Today at the pool - we grabbed some lounge chairs and were hoping to order lunch. No one ever came by. Benefit of the doubt - you must be busy...we'll keep waiting. At this point, some friends joined us and we now had a party of six hoping to get drinks and lounge by the pool. No one came by. So the guys went and grabbed drinks for the group and I tried to find someone with a menu. I was given a menu - we decided what we wanted but no one came by. So I walked up to the restaurant and was told they would get someone who did poolside service to take my order. I waited about 10 minutes. I ordered and our food came but after awhile we wanted to order more drinks. So I went and talked with Steve, who was managing the desk at the entrance and he was extremely apologetic and said he would find someone to help us. Please keep in mind we are paying $18 per person for these "resort" amenities... and what's the point of relaxing poolside if every time you need a drink or something to eat you have to get up, put your shoes on, your cover up on and go hunt someone down. Not relaxing...

So another hour passes...NO one has come by... so I go find Steve again and he is even more apologetic and promises someone will be right over. He comes to our group and apologizes, says Andrew will take care of us and the manager will be over...I tell him that is not necessary but he felt awful and wanted to make it right. We order more food and that was the last time we saw someone. Another hour goes by and now we're ready to leave and on our way out Steve asks if things were better and I told him honestly no and the manager never came by. So once again, Steve becomes determined to make it right and says he will call our room with a solution... Well Suzanne (the poolside manager who never came by) leaves a message and says (verbatim) "This is Suzanne, manager down at the pool, I heard you had some problems today and if you would like to discuss them you can call me at extension..."

Seriously? Where's the customer service? Just a polite apology would had sufficed. But now I have to call her back to "discuss" MY problems? Speechless...

In addition, here are some things that weren't biggies but a little off putting for paying $340.00 a night.

The iron was so old (what I'm assuming)...when my husband went to iron his white pants blobs of brownish water (think it was rust) came out all over his pants...Unfortunately, he had to wear those to the wedding like that.

The community toilets are like public restrooms you would find at a ball game or a park...slight smell, a few are clogged, toilet paper floating on the ground...again NOT a big deal but definitely not a resort bathroom.

The pool chairs look like they could use a good power wash...they are weathered and not kept clean.

It seems like ten years ago - this resort was probably at the top of their game. But now it has a feeling of outdated, and a lack of PRIDE in what has the potential to be just a stunning destination for families or for couples. It really is beautiful!

Room Tip: It seems all of the rooms are kept up differently - almost like private residences. Make sure you as...
3  Thank Kate R

Thank you for letting us know that you had some less than stellar experiences during your first day. I'm glad we were able to connect while you were here and address your concerns. If I can be of assistance on your next trip to Captiva, please let me know.

Dir of Guest Relations

Reviewed 8 November 2013

This is our third time at South Seas. We traveled with our 2 boys, ages 10 and 7. We stayed in a harbourview room with a beautiful water view and watched the sunrise every morning from our balcony. At times, we felt as though we had the resort to ourselves. My older son loved fishing off the T dock and at the beach. There was a wedding the first night we arrived and I asked the front desk for a move due to the noise. They quickly accommodated us with no problem. All of the people working at the resort were extremely friendly and helpful - especially the staff at the pool and water slides. There was a nIce big bathroom with two sinks in our junior suite and so much to do outside that we did not spend much time in the room. We will definitely be back - thinking of trying the marina villas next time.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for coming back to South Seas Island Resort. We appreciate your continued visits to Captiva and we're so glad you enjoyed yourself once again. For your next visit, the Marina Villas are two bedroom accommodations that feature a master bedroom with a king bed, a second bedroom with two twin beds, living room, lanai, and full kitchen. They also have their own association pool for when you just want a quick dip in a pool. If I can help you plan your next visit, please let me know.

All the best,

#5 of 47 in Fort Myers Beach
Castaways Cottages of Sanibel
Castaways Cottages of Sanibel
#10 of 19 in Sanibel Island

Been to South Seas Island Resort? Share your experiences!