Had been coming here regularly during the 80's and 90's. This time thought we'd go all out and rent one of their (top of the line) private homes. Needless to say the resort is not up to its glory days of the past. The entrance is in need of updating, and while clean, "long in the tooth" would not be far off. Landscaping at the entrance looks bad and while enroute to the house we rented passed an awful sewer break and you can imagine the odor. While it is safe to say these things happen, in the past that break would have been worked on 24/7 which was not the case here. This is reflective of the house we rented (not cheap). Upon entering a $5M home we encountered a terrible smell which turned out to be a dead (6 inch) rat in the garage. There were other traps even upstairs indicating this has been an issue before. A furnace that took two days to fix and an invasion of ants that took 3 days to fix indicate that while staff is friendly and say all the right things maintenance and upkeep are clearly lacking (the list is longer but you get the idea). The views, beach and Gulf are as wonderful as ever, BUT at the price charged this house (their prime properties) was more than lacking in maintenance. We walked the entire resort and found some areas in better maintenance than others, so my advice is IF you use this place be careful what you pick and where on the resort it is located. Read the fine print as daily services are not like in the past. You will find very friendly staff, but do not expect rapid responses to maintenance issues. Also note they now require an arm band to get into the resort pool and ride the bus, which is a bad solution to the problem of non guests using facilities.
Having rented private homes in the past it would be wise to shop around as the views and beach which exist at South Seas Island Resort exist elsewhere.......I'm afraid this place has lost its luster ..
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- South Seas Island Resort is located on 330-acres on tropical Captiva Island, on the west coast of Florida, just off the beaches of Fort Myers, Fl. South Seas is an iconic resort village combining a natural wonderland with modern resort amenities and accommodations. The resort offers many styles and sizes of accommodations including guestrooms, one to three bedroom villas (condominiums), cottages and spacious private homes. Activities at the resort include tennis, golf, water sports programs including kayak tours, boating and parasailing. Kids will have a great time at the Sanibel Sea School while learning about the surrounding environment. Enjoy three lagoon style pools, complete with private cabanas located at the Pointe and H2Whoa! With two fun water slides. The resort also features some of the best shelling in the world on the miles of sugar sand beach. For relaxation, the Kay Casperson Boutique and Spa is located in the South Village, providing special pampering with a complete spa treatment menu.Dining at South Seas Island Resort is as varied as the activities, with The Harbourside Bar and Grill and The Pointe located at North Pointe. Visit Scoops & Slices, located next to The Pointe, for ice cream or coal fired pizza. In the South Village, other options include Doc Ford's Rum Bar & Grille, Starbucks and the Captiva Provision Company, a gourmet deli. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your South Seas Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- South Seas Island Hotel Captiva Island
- South Seas Island Captiva
- South Seas Island Resort Captiva Island, Florida