“Something for everyone here” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of South Seas Island Resort

South Seas Island Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Captiva Island
New York
“Something for everyone here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Every year my extended family converges on this resort.We have been coming here for over 13 years. It is quiet and relaxing and offers lots of activities for every age group. We stay in the Cottages each year and they are always well equipped and generally clean. The North end of the Resort is where most of the day time activities are located. Staying down this end allows us the ability for everyone to do what they want to yet still be somewhat together. Our children can have some autonomy to go around the pools, game room, fish dock and even to Scoops and Slices(pizza and ice cream) without supervision. It is extremely safe and they can roam freely. (Kids are now 12 and 14and have been coming here their whole lives) The resort has two main pools along with another waterslide/zero entry pool. Each of the individual accommodation complexes has a pool as well with the exception of the Cottages. Their pool was "given up" to add the waterslide pool. Finding chairs can sometimes be challenging if you get to the main pools after 10am. The beach is also very nice and has non-motorized water sports available there as well. For motorized water sports head to the desk at the fish dock. Para sailing and jet skies, etc can be rented there. The prices aren't cheap but little is on Captiva. The golf course is a Par 3 executive course and pretty nice too. We take our kids out on it, great for beginner golfers even with all the water hazards. In the evening take a stroll around the Marina area and look for Manatees. (a great time passer for the little ones before dinner.) The only draw back to this resort is that the restaurants are not spectacular. I highly recommend leaving the resort at night and going to The Green Flash, Key Lime Bistro (they have music) or Old Captiva House. You can take the trolley to the south end of the resort and walk into town. Lots of people rave about the Bubble Room and Mucky Duck and I have no idea why. Neither are worth visiting. They are mediocre at best. On the resort each complex has gas grills so plan on a nice BBQ and catching the sunset at the beach as an alternative. On your way into Captiva you can stop at the grocery store in Sanibel and get a few things. The Provisions Store and Ships Stores on property are very expensive and very limited. This vacation is best enjoyed while the sun is up. The "night life" is minimal. Years ago there was a piano bar and formal dinning restaurant but no longer. Other than the music at Key Lime there isn't much happening. So get up early and soak up all this resort has to offer.

Room Tip: Room Tip...stay on the North end. You can take the Trolley to tennis or the restaurants if you want...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank MomWen
SouthSeasCaptiva, Guest Relations Manager at South Seas Island Resort, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Thank you for continued patronage at South Seas Island Resort. We are honored that you have chosen us for your annual family retreat. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Dir of Guest Relations, South Seas Island Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (882)
  • Finnish first
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

My family stayed here last week and had a fantastic time. Every employee we encountered truly wanted to help and assist. The pools and the beach is to die for! We will be back! No more flights to the caribbean.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank BenzGurl
Thank you for staying at South Seas Island Resort and sharing your experience. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your time in Captiva. Being just up the road in Tampa, we look forward to your return.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

We never new this island existed until a friend mentioned it to us....Wowww.
South seas Resort is an excellent vacation spot for all families. Being off the main land at Fort Myers Florida but still accessible by causeways you feel like you are in a different world. The beaches are amazing. The food is very good. Very nice 9 hole golf course. The pools are great and the water slides are nice for younger children.
Last but not least, it's a great place to get Married at sunset at the cove facing the beautiful Gulf of Mexico....And now our two families are one!!!!!

Blaine & Christine

Room Tip: We stayed in the 3 bedroom beach villas. There are actually four bedrooms. Nice pool at each villa...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Blaine2014
Thank you for choosing South Seas Island Resort for your destination wedding and congratulations. We are thrilled to be apart of your journey together and I hope that it was everything you had dreamed of.

Thanks again and I wish you all the best.

Ashland, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

We stayed here for the first time with our two boys during part of the April vacation week. I was a little skeptical based on some of the reviews I read, but the room was very nice, recently updated and overlooked the ocean and pool on the south side of the resort. The room had a full kitchen so we ate most breakfasts, lunch, and a couple dinners in the villa. We would eat our dinner on the screened in deck so we could watch the sunset! As a bonus, this villa had two trundel beds in the sitting area outside the master bedroom. I am not sure if all the rooms have these, but these beds came in handy so our young kids could sleep near our room in case we were called upon in the middle of the night. They were too young to sleep in the twin beds on the first floor as it was too far from our room. Being on the south side, we were walking distance to town and ate out one night at the Bubble Room (my three year old loved the toy electric train that circled around the inside of the restaurant) and another night at Doc Ford's. The main pool complex on the north side was an easy 2.5 mile bike ride or trolley ride away. The main pool complex has three large pools; one of which had a water slide that my eight year old loved. These three pools were heated so no shivers when you got out and they overlooked the ocean and had a poolside bar and restaurant within it. The pool complex itself is less than 10 years old and is on par with what you would find at an all-inclusive Carribean resort! While swimming at this pool, we also saw three bottle-nosed dolphins swimming in the ocean. We also went on a kayak tour out of nearby McCarthy Marina and got to see manatees within ten feet of our kayak (incredible!) and kayaked through a mangrove tunnel on nearby Buck Key. We also went on a sunset cruise and saw more dolphins and another beautiful Captiva sunset! The resort has some fun things for kids also. There is an arts and crafts activity daily at 2pm most days, there are "Scoutabout" booths that have some interesting facts about wildlife in the area (sponsored by the Sanibel Sea School) with colored rubber bands to collect, there is a game room in the Skully's interactive center, and "Scoops" ice cream and pizza place right outside the main pool complex. The beach is beautiful and long (2.5 miles long) with some good shelling. Although the best shelling was at Bowman's Beach in Sanibel, just six miles away. Sunset Beach on the north side of the resort had a snack bar. We also spent time at the pool near the Beach Villas where we stayed. The water there was much cooler than the main pool complex, but during the heat of the day it was refreshing and we had it mostly to ourselves. My only comment on the room was half the lights were burnt out when we came in, but maintenance fixed them within the hour. Also, if you are staying in a newer beach villa unit, the bathroom counters are built for a taller person (like me) but not a three year old. Therefore, if you want to stay in a newer unit, BYOSTST (bring your own step stool). I would love to come every year because this place is so relaxing, but the price was over $430 a night for the villa we were in and I noticed that the same week next year will cost over $732 a night for a beach villa based on what I recently saw in the hotel's website, so maybe we will be back in a few years when we save some $$!! Not sure why the per night difference would be $300/night higher for the same week in just over a year. Overall though, great family vacation and lots of great memories!

Room Tip: The south side of the resort seems quieter than the north side of the resort. Also, not all rooms ar...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank cape171
SouthSeasCaptiva, Guest Relations Manager at South Seas Island Resort, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Thank you for staying at South Seas Island Resort and sharing your detailed review. It looks like you hit all the great spots of South Seas and "downtown" Captiva. I definitely recommend getting out on the water to everybody coming to the islands - it's worth it to see the dolphins and birds along the way, as well as the remote islands north of us.

Our rates in the spring will vary based on room availability, which can be affected by holidays, spring breaks, etc. I'd welcome the opportunity to assist you finding the right accommodation, so please email me at asmith2@southseas.com.

Thanks again for staying with us.

Dir of Guest Relations
Northville, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Beach villa rooms are old and outdated. Very dirty room overall. Terrible view. It was supposed to be a beach view on the beach and it was not. It was a long walk to the beach and I couldn't see the ocean. I would never stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Mjjac543
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience. I am disappointed to read that the room was not up to your standards. Would you please email me at asmith2@southseas.com so I can learn more about your accommodations and make the necessary changes?

Dir of Guest Relations
Key West, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

This was the first time visiting this resort and I must say that I feel the customer service is on par with Disney. The rooms were clean inside at the beach villa and only had one small tear in the screening on the porch. the maid service was discreet in cleaning and making sure it happened while we were not around. I will definitely be returning to this property and enjoying every minute of it.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SMRose3
SouthSeasCaptiva, Guest Relations Manager at South Seas Island Resort, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you for staying at South Seas Island Resort and sharing your experience. Our associates strive to deliver excellent service, and I'm glad that was your experience. We look forward to your next visit to Captiva.

Stratham, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

I had some minor panic after booking here due to some poor reviews regarding accommodations. It seems like there are hotel rooms, villas and cottages to rent. We went for a villa because we like having the option to have breakfast or snacks in our room. Some villas are apparently privately owned (as condos and/or timeshares) and they may differ in terms of decor and vintage. We booked through the resort. We are well-traveled and have come to learn that you just can't make some people happy. We booked last minute like we always do and I was worried sick about the potential condition of our villa. I should not have! The resort is about 1.3 miles in length with lodging options clustered at both ends. We were in the South Pointe area in the Bayside villas. Our unit- as well as others I could catch glimpses of with doors open etc in this cluster seemed nicely updated, fresh paint, white kitchen, granite. We had 2 bathrooms- one had a shower area with tile that really needed regrouting while the other was really nice- my only complaint about the room. We had a one bedroom with a Murphy bed in the living area which worked out fine for our 2 girls. The room had a nice screened porch overlooking a small scenic marina and a pool right next door as well as tennis courts. We did not use either but, the marina at this end is also where the boat, bike and golf cart rentals are. We enjoyed riding our bikes to the North Pointe where there are 3 pools, a few restaurants and the beach which is also staffed for food and beverages. There's a nice fitness center which I used and a small store as well as a spot that serves ice cream and pizza. The pool area is stunning and overlooks the water where we watched dolphins, saw sharks and countless sea birds. We also saw manatees loafing around the marina! The whole place is really stunning, with just enough activity to keep the kids happy without making every day a loud annoying forced fun exercise. The beach is gorgeous and there are chairs, umbrellas and towels there too. The water is calm and suitable for all levels of swimmers although one day we had little 2 foot waves which were a blast! You don't need money - just your room card- to buy food and drinks which is nice. If you don't rent bikes or carts you can take the free trolley service although I will say one day I waited so long I could have walked to the other end... But the other times I took it, I didn't wait more than 5 minutes. Right outside the resort are half a dozen or more restaurants to walk to, a small shopping plaza with a few nice stores carrying Lilly and Vineyard Vines and resort wear and bathing suits. Also a Starbucks. If you don't need or want to travel around I would say skip the car rental and get a shuttle from the airport and rent a cart or bikes instead. We went to Sanibel maybe once for a nicer dinner but if you want to chill out... South Seas has everything right there or walking distance. There's also a Doc Fords there too- the food was fine. I hope to return with my family some day- it was paradise.

Stayed April 2014
5 Thank DeedeeLaw
Thank you for trusting South Seas Island Resort as your vacation destination. We appreciate your feedback regarding your stay, and I'm delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us. If I can be of assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me at asmith2@southeas.com. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Captiva Island
Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina
#5 of 47 in Fort Myers Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,367 reviews
Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa

Been to South Seas Island Resort? Share your experiences!