“Wonderful and Restful Family Vacation”

South Seas Island Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Captiva Island
Omaha, Nebraska
“Wonderful and Restful Family Vacation”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We rented a house that was perfectly suited for our family of 7. The housekeeping staff was outstanding, bringing whatever items we needed during our week's stay. The house was clean and comfortable and close to the beach. The resort facilities were readily available and always clean. This is my second stay at South Seas and highly recommend this to families. Our family will plan another vacation stay there.

Room Tip: Talk to the people who rent the houses....they know the perfect type of accommodation for whatever s...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
SouthSeasCaptiva, Guest Relations Manager at South Seas Island Resort, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for returning to South Seas Island Resort and sharing your feedback. The private homes are a great option for families and friends to stay together while also enjoying a little more privacy. Cheryl, our reservation representative for the homes, is certainly a tremendous asset to the resort with her knowledge of each home and the amenities on property.

We look forward to your next visit.

Dir of Guest Relations, South Seas Island Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (912)
  • Finnish first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My wife and I have never been to the West Coast of Florida before and a friend suggested that we would like The South Seas Island Resort on Captiva Island. He was wrong....we fell in love with it. South Seas is a complete resort. It has beaches, pools, golf, boating, activities for young and old. We stayed in a room at the Marina with a view of the harbor. It was across the road from the beautiful par three golf course and Sunset Beach. The balcony room allowed us to view the comings and goings of boats large and small. The room was spacious with two extremely comfortable queen size beds, a flat screen t.v., microwave and fridge and a safe for valuables. The bathroom had a double sink, large bath tub and shower and a separate water closet.

The property is spectacular and the sunsets are truly romantic. There are several restaurants on the property that serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. For those who wish a quick bite, there's Scoops and Slices, a throw back to a fifties ice cream and pizza parlor. They even have a ships store where you can buy anything from a breakfast or lunch sandwich to wine or spirits or suntan lotion and snacks. No need to drive your car around the two mile long property. The resort provides a trolley that goes from the marina to the front gate. It runs every fifteen minutes until about 11:00 p.m. For those who prefer to go it alone, bikes and golf carts are available for rent.. Captiva is a magical island and South Seas Island Resort makes even more special.

Room Tip: Try to stay on the north side of the resort. It's close to everything.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank papaphila
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience. Captiva is a very special place and I'm happy to read that you have found your paradise. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

My husband and I had a fantastic time at South Seas! I was a little wary based on the reviews I'd read, but everything was absolutely wonderful. The pools and grounds were gorgeous, the beaches pristine, and our room was comfortable and clean. The restaurants are pricey, but what I would expect to pay at a resort. The staff was helpful and respectful. We loved the relaxed, low key feel of the resort. We had a wonderful week, can’t wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank W7589LG
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your review. I'm glad you and your husband were able to relax while with us and we look forward to providing many more wonderful experiences while at South Seas Island Resort.

Miami, FL
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We had seen this resort on a prior trip to Captiva - and I read reviews that were hit-or-miss, so I was hopeful it would be a "hit" since it looked nice on the outside. We rented a beach villa for Mother's Day weekend.

We arrived at our condo to find popcorn everywhere, trash on the floor, an unmade bed, and worst of all, a full toilet that had been like that long enough to permeate the condo with a stench. I have never had that kind of experience anywhere, including plenty of far cheaper hotel and motel rooms. We called the front desk and housekeeping, and finally left for dinner after nobody appeared. When we came back, we found housekeeping finishing the clean several hours after our discoveries.

This was obviously a horrific start. But all in all, it was a nice condo on the top floor, pretty comfortable, and quiet. The beach is right there and chairs and umbrellas were available for guests. We had a nice time. We wanted to extend our checkout from noon but when we asked, we were told "checkout at noon is complimentary" which sounded a little weird.

I would have liked to give a better review but first impressions mean a lot, and this one could not have been worse if they tried. I honestly looked for the hidden camera hoping we were on some sort of joke show. Not sure I would take a chance and come back. There are plenty of places on Captiva that wouldn't make this kind of mistake.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Tony053
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience. I'm embarrassed to read of your arrival experience and understand how that would impact your experience. Please email me at asmith2@southseas.com so we can discuss your stay further.

Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 May 2014

My husband, 22 month old son, in-laws and I spent a lovely 6 day stay at this resort the end of April. My mother in-law chose this place based on its reviews in Parents magazines. They were right! South Seas is a perfect place for families of all ages. We stayed in a beach villa which included two beds, two baths, a living room, fully equipped kitchen and beach front screened in balcony. We had everything we needed to be self sufficient but the grand thing was we had all the amenities of a hotel... Cleaning service, pack-n-play provided, we even could have had our fridge stocked. We were yards from the beach and a trolley ride away from fun in the sun. There is a pool complex with 3 different pools for any age. My toddler loved the zero entry kid pool. I loved the frozen drinks! There's even an indoor play center with arcade and toddler toy zone. Quite clean too!
A lot of folks on Trip Advisor have been commenting on run down facilities. I think since then they've made many updates and improvements; updated decor, new bathroom fixtures. Our kitchen had all stainless steal appliances! Better then my own house.
We didn't pay for half of this trip, thanks to our parents. However, I can tell you, it isn't cheap. Skip the buffet breakfast and eat at RC Otters. Food and beverages on the resort must be purchased with the room key, no cash. Try to eat and drink off campus. There are so many great places on the island, try them all! If you have the funds, I'd definitely recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Beach villas are great! Quiet and closer to town and shopping. Loved the end unit.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank KathrynD2
Thank you for bringing the family to South Seas Island Resort. I'm glad you all had a great time and we look forward to your return.

St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Banging doors, some that do not close automatically, paper thin walls, stained disgusting carpet, ants and little bugs in room, screaming children and loud vacationers everywhere, staff who are their own 'island' time, sad choices for breakfast/lunch/dinner-everything very expensive, cocktail/dinner events directly below your room, the list goes on. If a 'resort' is what you want, think again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank overdoityks
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience. I apologize that it did not exceed your expectations. I welcome the opportunity to discuss your visit in further detail if you would please reach me at asmith2@southseas.com.

Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Just returned from another stay at South Seas Resort. My wife and I have been visiting since the remodel about 8 years ago. Multiple visits over the past 8 years some by boat docking at the marina and many at the hotel and rental homes. This time we were in a one bedroom beach villa.

Check in was not up to par. We drove to the hotel and had confirmed our arrival time and that the room would be ready the day before. Despite this the check in attendant assured us the room was not ready at 1pm when we arrived. I assured her I thought it was - and after a bit of attitude and tussle she found out that yes, indeed it was ready complete with a welcome package already delivered and in the room from my staff.

The rooms now need another round of updating. they are starting to show age and simply are average at best. Service also needs a step up from previous visits. This time it was nearly impossible to get a drink at the main pool. Despite renting a cabana for 225 per day we finally walked over to the bar, struck up a conversation with the bartender and he took care of us. Wish I would have gotten his name to add to this review. 6 hours later when we were leaving an attendant showed up and wondered where we got all the empties - that pretty much sums it up. we tipped the bartender very well and appreciated his solving the problem.

Dinner at the Harbour restaurant was good. Menu is well thought out and the new chef has some great dishes - try the Moroccan group! had some good service in that venue.

Breakfast options are very limited.

All in all, still a good location and offering for families but be prepared for some service issues.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris L
Thank you for returning to Captiva and sharing your review. I apologize for the error at checkin. Please contact me prior to your next visit at asmith2@southseas.com so we can ensure a better experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Captiva Island
#6 of 47 in Fort Myers Beach
West Wind Inn
West Wind Inn
#5 of 19 in Sanibel Island

Been to South Seas Island Resort? Share your experiences!