“We had a great time, but there are some things you need to be aware of...”

South Seas Island Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Captiva Island
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We spent 3 days/2 nighs here, because we got a great deal through Travelzoo.
Our room had lots of space, and it was in a quiet area. Close to the Marina.
Customer service was very very good. They are very attentive and help you with anything you need.

We all had a great time, enjoyed the slides, pool and the beach.

Things to be aware: the place is HUGE, and they have a tram that you can take. The Marina is in the opposite end of the pool with the slide. Tram runs every 20 min, but it was hot and with possible rain, we decided to drive there. We were lucky to find spots to park.
We drove everyday, to pool or beach, and in my ideal vacation I forget about driving...

Room we got was very nice, but we had several ants.. :(

They are very kid friendly which worked out great for our group with 3 kids, but I wouldn't pick this place if I was only traveling with my husband.

As far as food, we didn't try the restaurants inside, so I can make an opinion.

Would we go back? Maybe, if I get a good deal (normal prices are over my price range).

Room Tip: Depends on what you want, I picked a room with full kitchen close to the marina. There are rooms clo...
2  Thank marcela a
Write a ReviewReviews (3,459)

Reviewed 15 August 2014

What can I say.... South Seas Resort is a gorgeous ,well maintained , beautiful, and relaxing place for anyone, couples, families older folks. Many pools abound, and the beach is glorious. Since its located on the gulf of Mexico, the ocean is calm beautiful clean and warm , Just the way I like it. South Seas has several restaurants on premises. Good old Doc Fords, magnificent food. (I will discuss this in another of my reviews) You can take a trolley inside the resort that takes you to the main pool area, comprised of 3 swimming pools, mainly, for kids with lots of fun included, slides and water fun. The staff at the pool complex is helpful and caring, giving you the best of a relaxed calm stay. You can get ice cream at SCOOPS, near the main pavilion. One of the beaches, Sunset Beach, has a beach bar and all the beaches provide, plenty of chairs , towels and umbrellas.Here, you are pampered, without worry and with plenty of ease.The apt we stayed at had a full kitchen and was lovely decorated wtih plenty of space. Housekeeping staff was impeccable, always getting the extras to you as quickly as possible. The pool outside the tennis villas, had barbeque grills, so you can enjoy a meal and then take a dip in the pool. Such a great set up for families. On this trip it was just my husband and I, and I felt I was on a second honeymoon!, SO MUCH PAMPERING AT SOUTH SEAS. When stepping outside the complex, you can take a free tram ride to the small town, just a few minutes away, with lots of restaurants to choose from. I recommend getting your supplies of food and drink either on your way out of Ft. Myers, at Publiks, or on Sanibel Island, you can visit Baileys supermarket, good prices, and a liquor store in the same outdoor shopping plaza. Dont shop on Captiva, its a FORTUNE. In a pinch getting milk eggs and bread is ok but I would not recommend much more than that. We spend over 75 dollars on two bags of groceries, before finding out about Baileys supermarket. South Seas offers gorgeous golfing, tennis, boating and you can get around the resort with a golf cart rental , by bike , by car, on foot or by trolley. Dont forget to see the sunsets, they were spectacular. With all the families present I never felf closed in or cramped, even being there with my husband , plenty of places to go when you wanted to have a quiet private stay. I will be returning to SOUTH SEAS and Captiva Island again , five stars of excellence across the board. ENJOY!!!!!

3  Thank ABrooklynTraveler
SouthSeasCaptiva, Guest Relations Manager at South Seas Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Thank you for staying at South Seas Island Resort and sharing your experience. We're delighted you and your husband enjoyed your time with us, and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

We just got back from South Seas. My kids, who are 6 and 4, loved it. They said this was our best vacation and they didn't want to leave. We spent hours at the water slide pool, then we went to the beach. It was a nice relaxing vacation!

2  Thank bader80129

Thank you for bringing your family to stay at South Seas Island Resort. We look forward to welcoming you back to Captiva for years to come.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights with my wife and daughters(4/5). This is a nice resort, nothing spectacular, but a decent getaway for the family. The water slides are without a doubt the best part of this place. My kids would of spent all day there if we let them. The beach is good and my daughters always enjoy the shelling. The rest of the pools are small and overcrowded. We brought our bikes hoping for some nice morning bike rides, but that was a total disappointment. There are no biking trails in the resort, you basically have to share the road with cars and the abundant number of golf carts that go flying by all day. Definitely didn't feel safe having my daughters riding their bikes on the road. I would say other than the slides, Marco Island is a much better option. Stayed at the Marriott Resort there and loved it. In general, I would say that Captiva was not my favorite beach destination. Subpar restaurants, okay beaches and decent but not great resort. The resort needs an update and some remodeling of its pedestrian walkways, since there are not many.

2  Thank Tony G

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your review. Your feedback will help us better understand our guests' needs and deliver an even better experience in the future.

Dir of Guest Relations

Reviewed 13 August 2014

My daughters and I stayed for 3 nights at the resort. When I checked in I was informed that there was a mandatory $200.00 a day hold that the resort places on your credit/debit card. I had already paid for our stay, if not I would have cancelled our reservation. I believe I would have been stuck paying for at least one day if I cancelled at that time. Needless to say, this policy curtailed some of our activities at and around the resort. I was told that the hold would be released once we checked out of the resort. (It wasn't, I called my bank and they advised me that the resort had a hold on my account in place until midnight the next day.) On a positive note, the resort is very well maintained. Our room was clean and spacious the attendants were pleasant Would I stay again???? Probably not.

4  Thank Linda M

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience. I apologize the authorization hold came as a surprise. Many of our guests use a credit card for authorization at check in, and then switch to a debit card or cash upon departure.

Should your travels bring you to the area again, I hope that you will consider us again.

Dir of Guest Relations

Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

This was our fourth year in a row to South Seas and each year we extend our stay longer. This year was a 5 nighter and we loved every minute of it. Didn't feel rushed and felt like we had enough time.

From our Bay villa "bay" View room (which happened to be the same one we had last year which was cool) with gorgeous sailboats and dolphins in sight to the kids water slides, our 7 and 4 yr Olds favorite...we enjoy south seas so much. And watching the manatees in the marina never gets old..we r always in awe at these creatures.

The service is always outstanding and the grounds are truly spectacular. This year we brought our own bikes and biked to the main beach and pool area which was a new adventure and made us feel like we were somewhat active. We also rented jet skis this time which was fun for the kids...As we were waiting for our jet skis in the water, a huge Manatee swam right by us 1 foot away...it was a thrill for all of us and a memory our kids won't soon forget!

Also we lucked out with the weather. ..A gorgeous day every day with no rain. The no-seums (sp) bugs were a little more annoying this summer but that's to be expected near the water and mangroves I guess.

South seas will continue to be an annual visit for our family. Can't wait to book our stay for next year!!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Dana W

Thank you for returning to South Seas Island Resort. We appreciate your visits and look forward to providing another unforgettable experience next year.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Awesome resort. We were at northern tip. Full service at pool with a lot of family activities. We stayed for a week around Fourth of July. Staff is super friendly everywhere. It was really relaxing. Dead at night though. Plan to end day by 9 pm. This is the place you go to wind down. Sweet shop great for kids. Tons of ice cream and candy choices. Stop at Publix on way in and pick up some beer or wine for nights on balcony since there is no real night life. But get bug spray..

Check out the bubble room they have great deserts and interesting decor. It's worth the trip.

Room Tip: If you are solo family get room near main pool at northern tip. If you are with group of families ge...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank PghBanker

Thank you for staying at South Seas Island Resort and sharing your experience. We had a lot of fun this Independence Weekend with the fireworks and other special events. We hope to see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Captiva Island
#5 of 47 in Fort Myers Beach
Castaways Cottages of Sanibel
Castaways Cottages of Sanibel
#10 of 19 in Sanibel Island

Been to South Seas Island Resort? Share your experiences!