“Nice Getaway”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Captiva Island
Austin, Texas
“Nice Getaway”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

Pros: Great location and staff, beautiful vegetation and beach, overall nice property. Wifi, safe, and fridge in room. Something for everyone: large pool, jacuzzis, private beach, boating (power, kayaks, canoes), bikes, tennis, gym, spa, restaurants & bars, gift shops. Try the veggie wrap (w/ turkey, if you like meat) and vanilla mudslide (drink) at the pool bar, Queenie's coconut ice cream at the Crow's Nest, and the strudel at the morning buffet.

Cons: Rooms need to be updated (heavy fabrics, dark and dank), bathroom super small (doors need to open outward) with terrible lighting, stinky closet (mold or mildew), loud air-conditioner (hard to sleep), no sound proofing between rooms (almost like your neighbors are in your room), definitely could be cleaner (rooms are too dark for the maids to see).

It would be great if they would add an air-conditioned spot indoors to read and relax, since the rooms are not the ideal place to lounge.

Room Tip: I had a room with a gulf view, but, due to the noise issue, I'd go for a cottage with a gulf vie...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank mlwalker
GeneralManager22, General Manager at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 22 September 2011
Mlwalker,
It is very nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and you were able to experience many of the adventures our property offers. We do appreciate your comments about our water view guest rooms and we agree. We are hard at work to correct the issues. Currently, we are in the process of finishing the remodel of the bathrooms with new energy efficient LED lighting, new tubs and tiles which will address a lot of the issues you highlighted in your review. I went to look at the bathrooms again and your idea to change the door swing to swing out is a great idea. I think it will provide more space in the bathroom. We will definitely try it and we appreciate you making the suggestion. In addition, we are installing all new energy efficient split air conditioning units in all of our guestrooms. These units are not only much more efficient but they are also much quieter as well. Thank you for staying with us and offering your comments and suggestions. Our guest’s comments are always welcomed and appreciated. We do hope you will enjoy our newly remolded rooms on your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
South Florida, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

We r in room 335 in the palmetto building and it is 11:30pm and can't sleep because the music in 336 is so loud. Sounds as if their tv is at the connecting door and the sound comes right thru. It's awful. Just drove 5 hours to get here and need to sleep so we can get up early and go fishing.
Rug is gross, needs to be replaced. Bathroom vanity has been upgraded but not the tub and tile and shower fixtures. Why only reno half the bath especially when their r rust stains on the tub and the grout in the tile is nasty and the caulk is coming out. Safe does not work. When we stayed in May we had a pool room and
It was better.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank kelchick
GeneralManager23, General Manager at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 20 September 2011
We very much appreciate your taking time from your day to share your thoughts with Trip Advisor members and fans regarding your stay at Tween Waters Inn.
I’m sorry that during your stay you found your neighboring guests to be loud. The hotel was built with concrete block walls separating the various units. Additionally, units that connect to another, such as the one you occupied, are equipped with two, heavy, solid core doors that normally control noises. Maybe your neighbors really had their music “cranked up”. With a quick call to the Front Desk to advise of the situation we would have been pleased to contact the offending guest and request a lowering of the volume.
The resort reinvests in its rental accommodations and facilities yearly. With the advent of the recent economic downturn and the devastating financial effects of the 2010 Gulf oil spill some reinvestment monies were necessarily temporally reduced. When redoing unit bathrooms during these last few difficult years we did elect to postpone a full renovation, that is, the tub and shower surround were not replaced. Now that economic trends are improving we are addressing the competition of those bathroom renovations. By the way, in the Poolside units that were mentioned, this fall they will receive all new interior and porch furniture, new paint and also refurbishments in the bathroom area.
I also apologize the safe stopped working during your stay. Batteries do occasionally go dead and need replacing – a three minute fix.
Again, thank you for your constructive review. We hope you will consider visiting Tween Waters Inn another time.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2011

My husband and I stayed here the third week in August. We stayed in a charming historic cottage with a nice view. Housekeeping did a wonderful job. The staff was friendly.

I complained to the front desk about there being no hot water in the shower. At best, we ended up making do with warm water for the remainder of our stay. The bed was so uncomfortable that I couldn't have stayed any longer even if I had wanted to. My husband and I both had trouble climbing in and out of the old fashion tub and we are only in our forties. Although the cabin was charming, the furnishings have been well used and really need to be replaced.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Cattail101
We very much appreciate you staying with us and sharing your experiences. We are so glad that you found our staff to be “wonderful” and “friendly”. I know they work very hard and take great pride in not only meeting but trying to exceed all of our guest’s expectations. The fact that so many of our staff have been with us for 5, 10 and even 20 plus years really speaks volumes of their love and dedication for this very unique and special property. Many of our return guests comment on how nice it is to return year after year and see the same smiling faces. I do apologize that you had an issue with your hot water. The elements of our island, due to the sun, sand, and salt air, are difficult on mechanicals but if you alerted us to an issue we should fix it right the first time. I will follow up with our maintenance department and recheck the unit you stayed in to make sure everything is working properly. I am also sorry that you experienced issues with your mattress and tub. We do regularly replace our mattresses but being a personal preference item it is impossible to meet everyone’s exact specifications. I will check the mattress in the cottage you stayed in and replace the mattress if necessary. Some of our historic cottages are outfitted with period equivalent furniture and fixtures which include antique free standing claw foot tubs. Because of the design of the tub they do stand a little taller than your average tub and therefore maybe more difficult to enter and exit. My advice to you, and everyone else that reads this and visits our property, is to come to the front desk and express your concerns. We are a unique property and we offer many different types, styles and sizes of rooms. We will gladly show you other rooms available that may better suit your needs and adjust the price accordingly. Our goal is to make our guests stay with us as rewarding as possible in hopes that not only you but your friends and family will come back and stay with us again and again. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us. We do hope you will come and stay with us again.
Grayling, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2011

The only good thing about this hotel was the breakfast, I will admit that was really good. The hotel room was old an unkempt. We could barely see out the windows. I was really turned off when the hotel did not provide any lawn chairs on the Gulf but you could rent them for a small fee! We did see some Manatee in the murky waters out back but like I said, murky. The pool was nice and warm but the hot tub smelled of dirty feet.

Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank sbidwell
GeneralManager22, General Manager at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 September 2011
To the reviewer known as sbidwell,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a review. We are very glad that you enjoyed your free contential breakfast. We often hear very positive comments from our guest about our breakfast and first timers are often surprised at its size and scope. As for your room I am not sure I understand your comments. All of the furniture in our water view guest rooms was replace about 2 years ago and most units now have flat panel TV’s (all will by the end of October). I will admit that the bathrooms have only been partially renovated and we are in the process of finishing that renovation now. I read a lot of reviews and what I find most interesting is that almost all the complaints we receive about the quality of our accommodations come from guest that have stayed in our least expensive rooms. These rooms have been priced to reflect the fact that the renovations have not yet been fully completed. Therefore, for guest looking for a more deluxe accommodation I recommend our water view studios or our 1 bedrooms which have all been fully renovated. I am not sure what you mean when you say “we could barely see out our windows.” All of our rooms have sliding glass doors that are cleaned everyday by housekeeping. I am currently not aware of any issues with our sliding doors. Only our corner units have windows and I again am not aware of any issues with them as well. I will say that I am personally in almost every room on a monthly basis for inspections and I will contiuneto keep my eye out for your issues. The charge for beach chair and cabana rentals was implemented for a couple of very important reasons. We have 137 guest rooms and if we were to provide beach chairs and/or cabanas for each of our guests I am sure you could only imagine what our beach would be like. The fee in addition to helping keep supply and demand in balance also helps offset the cost of the equipment and staff who monitor the beach and have to set up and remove the equipment each day. We have never charged a resort fee, which can be as much as $15 per person per day at other local resorts, and we feel the cost of running the beach service should be allocated to those who what to use it and not the resort community as a whole. Finally I did speak to our maintenance department about our hot tubs. We checked the log book and found the water has been checked and balanced every morning. In addition they are both drained and refilled with new water on a weekly basis. I will continue to check to see if I observe your issue to determine if there is another problem and its cause. Thank you again for staying with us. We do hope you stay with us again once we have completed our renovations or in one of our other type of guest accommodations.
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

Stay in cottage 100 and love it. Resort is for couples, family with amenities for all. Dining and entertainment is excellent. Great place to relax and do nothing but enjoy!

Room Tip: Cottage for the most relaxed atmospere
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for returning to Tween Waters on the anniversary of your wedding! Tween waters Inn is the site of many weddings throughout the year. Nearly all ceremonies are on the pristine sand of our beautiful beach. Receptions can be as intimate as just the Bride and Groom enjoying a memorable meal in a quiet area of our Old Captiva House restaurant or as exciting as a beautiful gathering for all of the wedding guests in one of the resort’s five dining/banquet venues. We have even catered receptions on cruise boats that have picked up the wedding guests at our Marina docks.
And, to commemorate those anniversaries that are celebrated at Tween Waters Inn we will in November be introducing a very special Wedding Anniversary Package with unit upgrades and lots of special extras included.
Thank you for your review; we will look forward to YOUR next anniversary with us at Tween Waters Inn!
Tampa, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

My husband and I stayed for a long weekend to celebrate our anniversary. We'd never stayed on Captiva before (we usually stay on Sanibel) but thought we'd try something different. We had a lovely time and we will probably come back just because the property is situated on such a great piece of land with awesome views on either side.

Positives: Location, location, location. We thoroughly enjoyed the beach, which was postcard perfect and ended up reserving a cabana each day we were there, which you do have to pay for but was totally worth it. We decided on a gulf view room, and I was really glad we did becuase after seeing how bananas the pool area usually was, I wouldn't have wanted to over look that! Also we enjoyed kayaking at the back of the resort on pine island sound, and saw lots of dolphins which was very cool! We took a guided tour which was fine as we were beginners, but next time we'll just go out ourselves since I'm not sure its really worth the extra money for the guide. We snapped tons of beautiful pictures all over, and the surroundings were so gorgeous it was easier to forgive some for the other tiny issues we had...Also fantastic was our dinner at the Old Captiva House: the food was delicious and beautifully presented. We had drinks and appetizers one night at the Crow's Nest and that was good too. Pool food was fine, a little on the pricey side, but what else do you expect with a captive audience? I guess you pay for the convience factor as well as the food : )

Negatives: The room was nothing special, but it wasn't as terrible as some of the reviews make out either. The bathroom, though tiny, seemed like it had been redone recently, but the rest of the room was really run of the mill. But I didn't come to captiva to sit in my room so no biggie. I would probably have felt a little shortchanged if I had paid full price for the same room in-season, as opposed to the summer special we got. Tiny note to mangement: I would seriously recommend putting towel hooks on the back of the bathroom door--we were always juggling for space to hang our wet towels after a shower, and space is at a premium in the bathroom as it is. Also one day our room wasn't serviced until almost three in the afternoon, which was just a minor inconvience but still kinda weird (we'd been at the beach all morning and left a 'please service' card on the door).

However, the most annoying thing was PARKING. I had no idea that this would be such an issue. When we checked in (on a Friday) we were waved into the last free space by our building, and told that the shaded parking under the building was first come first serve. This should have been a warning, but I didn't think anything of it at the time. My husband and I went out to a late dinner that night and came back around 10pm to find every SINGLE space taken--not just around our building but everywhere nearby. I had visions of having to park far away and then dodge god-only-knows-what crawling creatures as we tried to make our way back to the room in the near complete dark. We drove up to the office and told them our predicament, and the parking dude came out to check that indeed all the spaces were taken by our building (perhaps he didn't believe me when I clearly stated this the first time?). When he got to the end of the row, and indeed there was no where to put us, he seemed a little unsure of what to do, but then just flagged us in to park in the middle of one of their little access roads by the cottages. I had visions of the car getting dinged or getting blocked in, but in the morning everything was fine, luckily. The next day as soon as we saw a good spot we jumped on it and didn't move the car after that (all part of their plan to keep you spending money at the resprt perhaps? lol). We stayed in Seagrape, and perhaps its not as bad in the other buildings, but I don't think it's too much to ask that there is a parking space for each room. First come first serve parking is fine if there is enough for everyone, but when there's not it's like musical chairs. I can only imagine what its like during holidays or peak season...

Despite my rant, these negatives were only tiny hiccups in an otherwise lovely, very relaxing trip. I suppose everything is a trade off, and I'm perfectly willing to deal with so-so rooms and parking headaches to be able to sit on the beach and enjoy the gorgeous views : )

Room Tip: Go for a Gulf view, rather than a pool view--it's well worth it.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Genyi1681
To the reviewer known as Genyi1681,
Thank you for taking the time to review Tween Waters Inn Island Resort and Spa. We are very glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I agree with you that our location is perfect and offers something for almost every type of vacationer. Whether you enjoy relaxing on the beach or the activities of fishing or kayaking there is something for everyone. I am sorry that you experienced an issue parking on the evening you went out for dinner. Normally parking is not an issue. Due to space constraints parking under the building for our water view guest rooms and studios is on a first come first serve basis. However, parking for our cottages and 1, 2 and 3 bedroom suits is reserved for your unit. May I suggest on your next visit that you look into one of these other types of accommodations as they offer much more space and guaranteed parking. I do appreciate your comments about our water view guest rooms. Each unit should have a towel hook on the back of the door. I will make sure I mention it to our inspectors and maintenance department to have the issue resolved. We are working as quickly as possible to finish updating our water view guest rooms. The updates will feature new energy efficient LED lighting in the bathrooms followed by new tubs and tile. I am sure on your next trip you will be pleasantly surprised by the updates we are currently working on. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experiences with us and we look forward to your return visit.
St. Augustine, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

We went at the last minute and had a nice time. It was good for the amount of money. We went fising, shelling and also kayak fishing. We stayed busy. While I like our beach in St. Augustine better it was good for a different coast of Florida.

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Ron002
We are so happy you found Tween Waters Inn on Captiva Island and we are glad we had that ”last room in the house” for you!
We love having the opportunity to share our wonderful area and the facilities of our resort with our terrific visitors! And, as this reviewer mentioned, there’s lots to do: kayaking, canoeing, swimming, dining, dancing, sunning, fishing, shelling…..and the lists goes on and on. Or, if you like, you can simply kick back and enjoy the beautiful beach and the waves gently washing the shore.
Captiva, and Tween Waters Inn, really are quite a find!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Captiva Island
#5 of 19 in Sanibel Island
Sanibel Moorings
Sanibel Moorings
#1 of 19 in Sanibel Island

Been to Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!