“'Tween Waters was amazing”

Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Captiva Island
Columbia, Maryland
“'Tween Waters was amazing”
Reviewed 17 September 2011

We went to Captiva last May with ten couples to celebrate a 50th birthday. We thought about renting one large house or 2 smaller houses until we looked into ‘Tween Waters Inn. This was the best decision we made. Several of the rooms were connected together which made it easy to get from one to the next. All the rooms are close to the pool, beach, and restaurants. All 20 of us gathered at the restaurant on the resort property for breakfast. Some tables are inside and some are on a beautiful terrace. The food was perfect...everything you could possibly want. The breakfast is included in your room rate and absolutely worth it. We walked to the small town for dinner for a few nights and stayed at the resort for a few nights. We didn't have a bad meal. The President of the resort personally came to meet us as we were leaving and invited us to breakfast before the restaurant was open. Our flight was leaving early and he didn't want us to leave without a meal. Everyone was wonderful. We have already booked our next trip. You will love this resort!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
GeneralManager22, General Manager at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 14 October 2011
Supermom,
Thank you for choosing Tween Waters Inn Island Resort and Spa for your 50th birthday celebration. We are glad that we could be a part of such a special event and we hope you will continue to look back at your event with fond memories. We often hear from large groups that are glad they chose to stay with us over renting a house for their vacation plans. We are perfectly situated to offer something for every type of vacationer from beach to bay, pool to tennis and water sports. Our breakfast is included with every night stay and we do not charge a resort fee. We are locally owned and operated and pride ourselves, both management and staff, in being friendly and flexible with our guests which is not always the case with larger corporate run establishments. Thank you again for choosing us and we hope you will celebrate your 51st with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
Julington Creek Plantation
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This place offers everything from sunrises(Harbor-side) to sunsets(Gulf/Oceanside). We stayed in a beachfront room that was very clean, beautifully decorated and convenient with a small stovetop, microwave and fridge. The kitchen area gave us the opportunity to have our own coffee and snacks in the room without the space being overwhelmed by all the appliances and work of home. The bathroom was up-to-date in its marble walls, glass enclosed shower, deep tub and wide vanity. A super-bonus was a screened-in, furnished "front porch" facing the ocean. The only downside I encountered in our room was the noise caused by the opening/closing of the sliding glass door to the porch. From one room to the other it sounded like furniture was being moved.

The property was super...great pool area, tasty restaurants, live music, shopping. My husband and I explored many beaches in the Sanibel/Captiva area and loved the Tween Waters beach the best. Rustic dunes, wide beach and lots of shells. We rode bikes up Captiva (careful!) and absolutely fell in love with the island.

The staff was efficient and friendly. Recycling is encouraged in each room. Hygiene items provided are environmentally friendly. The roadway going from Tween Waters up Captiva island is "adoped for clean up" by the Tween Waters Staff. Impressive and appreciated.

The manatees were great fun to watch. The bird watching was never ending. We loved Tween Waters. It would be marvelous to rent a cottage or stay in a room for a whole week. We hope to go back and bring some more family with us.

Room Tip: Consider the options-poolside, Harborside, Gulfside, Cottages-and chose what's best for you.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mary R
GeneralManager22, General Manager at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 22 September 2011
Mary R,
Thank you for staying with us. We are so glad that you had such a fabulous time and were able to experience so many of the things we have to offer. Being on a barrier island that runs north and south our beach is perfectly situated for shelling and beautiful sunsets (our beach faces west which means the sun sets directly in front of us instead of off to the side like much of Sanibel). On your next visit we would be happy to show you some of the other types of accommodations we offer in our inventory of 137 guest rooms and cottages. Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to you and your friends return.
Fort Myers, FL
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I thought the place was a little run down but the location is perfect.
I rented a cottage and the first day the outside lanai was infested w ants, and someone came over and sprayed the area. Myself and my dog couldnt sit out there due to the oily, residue/stench from the spray. After a day it was fine.
The cottage was cute, lumpy bed and the shower trickled water and the a/c unit is loud, loud, loud..
Love the fact that the beach is across the street and the pool area is nice.
I was having a great time up until the last night when I woke up and went into the bathroom and saw roaches everywhere!
I know it's Florida and that we are on an island and to expect bugs but this just kinda freaked me out.
Overall, I would just go back and spend the day there and I probably wouldnt spend the night there again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank FLORIDASUN42
GeneralManager23, General Manager at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 20 September 2011
Thank you for taking the time to describe your vacation experience at Tween Waters Inn.
I’m sorry you experienced difficulties with ants on the porch of the cottage you occupied. Being in the sub-tropics and with regards to the exterior of the building preventing ants from appearing is a bit of a challenge. However, I was distressed to hear you had insects on the interior of your cottage. We have a contract with a large national pest control company, which does monthly treatments throughout the property, and almost universally we do not experience any issues in any of our units – cottages, rooms or suites. We have already discussed your report with our exterminator and are looking at possible modifications to our program to prevent future occurrences.
This Fall, the resort is investing in many upgrades to our units including furniture, both inside and out, TVs and in some cases total renovations of full units – bathrooms, kitchens, flooring, furniture, etc. Also, many air conditioners in our studio apartments are being replaced with “split” units and other, central units, are replaced as needed.
Thank you very much for staying with us. We hope you will consider another trip to this little bit of paradise, Captiva Island, and to the Tween Waters Inn.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Pros: Great location and staff, beautiful vegetation and beach, overall nice property. Wifi, safe, and fridge in room. Something for everyone: large pool, jacuzzis, private beach, boating (power, kayaks, canoes), bikes, tennis, gym, spa, restaurants & bars, gift shops. Try the veggie wrap (w/ turkey, if you like meat) and vanilla mudslide (drink) at the pool bar, Queenie's coconut ice cream at the Crow's Nest, and the strudel at the morning buffet.

Cons: Rooms need to be updated (heavy fabrics, dark and dank), bathroom super small (doors need to open outward) with terrible lighting, stinky closet (mold or mildew), loud air-conditioner (hard to sleep), no sound proofing between rooms (almost like your neighbors are in your room), definitely could be cleaner (rooms are too dark for the maids to see).

It would be great if they would add an air-conditioned spot indoors to read and relax, since the rooms are not the ideal place to lounge.

Room Tip: I had a room with a gulf view, but, due to the noise issue, I'd go for a cottage with a gulf vie...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank mlwalker
Mlwalker,
It is very nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and you were able to experience many of the adventures our property offers. We do appreciate your comments about our water view guest rooms and we agree. We are hard at work to correct the issues. Currently, we are in the process of finishing the remodel of the bathrooms with new energy efficient LED lighting, new tubs and tiles which will address a lot of the issues you highlighted in your review. I went to look at the bathrooms again and your idea to change the door swing to swing out is a great idea. I think it will provide more space in the bathroom. We will definitely try it and we appreciate you making the suggestion. In addition, we are installing all new energy efficient split air conditioning units in all of our guestrooms. These units are not only much more efficient but they are also much quieter as well. Thank you for staying with us and offering your comments and suggestions. Our guest’s comments are always welcomed and appreciated. We do hope you will enjoy our newly remolded rooms on your next visit.
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed 3 September 2011

We r in room 335 in the palmetto building and it is 11:30pm and can't sleep because the music in 336 is so loud. Sounds as if their tv is at the connecting door and the sound comes right thru. It's awful. Just drove 5 hours to get here and need to sleep so we can get up early and go fishing.
Rug is gross, needs to be replaced. Bathroom vanity has been upgraded but not the tub and tile and shower fixtures. Why only reno half the bath especially when their r rust stains on the tub and the grout in the tile is nasty and the caulk is coming out. Safe does not work. When we stayed in May we had a pool room and
It was better.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank kelchick
We very much appreciate your taking time from your day to share your thoughts with Trip Advisor members and fans regarding your stay at Tween Waters Inn.
I’m sorry that during your stay you found your neighboring guests to be loud. The hotel was built with concrete block walls separating the various units. Additionally, units that connect to another, such as the one you occupied, are equipped with two, heavy, solid core doors that normally control noises. Maybe your neighbors really had their music “cranked up”. With a quick call to the Front Desk to advise of the situation we would have been pleased to contact the offending guest and request a lowering of the volume.
The resort reinvests in its rental accommodations and facilities yearly. With the advent of the recent economic downturn and the devastating financial effects of the 2010 Gulf oil spill some reinvestment monies were necessarily temporally reduced. When redoing unit bathrooms during these last few difficult years we did elect to postpone a full renovation, that is, the tub and shower surround were not replaced. Now that economic trends are improving we are addressing the competition of those bathroom renovations. By the way, in the Poolside units that were mentioned, this fall they will receive all new interior and porch furniture, new paint and also refurbishments in the bathroom area.
I also apologize the safe stopped working during your stay. Batteries do occasionally go dead and need replacing – a three minute fix.
Again, thank you for your constructive review. We hope you will consider visiting Tween Waters Inn another time.
Reviewed 2 September 2011

My husband and I stayed here the third week in August. We stayed in a charming historic cottage with a nice view. Housekeeping did a wonderful job. The staff was friendly.

I complained to the front desk about there being no hot water in the shower. At best, we ended up making do with warm water for the remainder of our stay. The bed was so uncomfortable that I couldn't have stayed any longer even if I had wanted to. My husband and I both had trouble climbing in and out of the old fashion tub and we are only in our forties. Although the cabin was charming, the furnishings have been well used and really need to be replaced.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Cattail101
We very much appreciate you staying with us and sharing your experiences. We are so glad that you found our staff to be “wonderful” and “friendly”. I know they work very hard and take great pride in not only meeting but trying to exceed all of our guest’s expectations. The fact that so many of our staff have been with us for 5, 10 and even 20 plus years really speaks volumes of their love and dedication for this very unique and special property. Many of our return guests comment on how nice it is to return year after year and see the same smiling faces. I do apologize that you had an issue with your hot water. The elements of our island, due to the sun, sand, and salt air, are difficult on mechanicals but if you alerted us to an issue we should fix it right the first time. I will follow up with our maintenance department and recheck the unit you stayed in to make sure everything is working properly. I am also sorry that you experienced issues with your mattress and tub. We do regularly replace our mattresses but being a personal preference item it is impossible to meet everyone’s exact specifications. I will check the mattress in the cottage you stayed in and replace the mattress if necessary. Some of our historic cottages are outfitted with period equivalent furniture and fixtures which include antique free standing claw foot tubs. Because of the design of the tub they do stand a little taller than your average tub and therefore maybe more difficult to enter and exit. My advice to you, and everyone else that reads this and visits our property, is to come to the front desk and express your concerns. We are a unique property and we offer many different types, styles and sizes of rooms. We will gladly show you other rooms available that may better suit your needs and adjust the price accordingly. Our goal is to make our guests stay with us as rewarding as possible in hopes that not only you but your friends and family will come back and stay with us again and again. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us. We do hope you will come and stay with us again.
Grayling, Michigan
Reviewed 2 September 2011

The only good thing about this hotel was the breakfast, I will admit that was really good. The hotel room was old an unkempt. We could barely see out the windows. I was really turned off when the hotel did not provide any lawn chairs on the Gulf but you could rent them for a small fee! We did see some Manatee in the murky waters out back but like I said, murky. The pool was nice and warm but the hot tub smelled of dirty feet.

Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank sbidwell
GeneralManager22, General Manager at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 September 2011
To the reviewer known as sbidwell,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a review. We are very glad that you enjoyed your free contential breakfast. We often hear very positive comments from our guest about our breakfast and first timers are often surprised at its size and scope. As for your room I am not sure I understand your comments. All of the furniture in our water view guest rooms was replace about 2 years ago and most units now have flat panel TV’s (all will by the end of October). I will admit that the bathrooms have only been partially renovated and we are in the process of finishing that renovation now. I read a lot of reviews and what I find most interesting is that almost all the complaints we receive about the quality of our accommodations come from guest that have stayed in our least expensive rooms. These rooms have been priced to reflect the fact that the renovations have not yet been fully completed. Therefore, for guest looking for a more deluxe accommodation I recommend our water view studios or our 1 bedrooms which have all been fully renovated. I am not sure what you mean when you say “we could barely see out our windows.” All of our rooms have sliding glass doors that are cleaned everyday by housekeeping. I am currently not aware of any issues with our sliding doors. Only our corner units have windows and I again am not aware of any issues with them as well. I will say that I am personally in almost every room on a monthly basis for inspections and I will contiuneto keep my eye out for your issues. The charge for beach chair and cabana rentals was implemented for a couple of very important reasons. We have 137 guest rooms and if we were to provide beach chairs and/or cabanas for each of our guests I am sure you could only imagine what our beach would be like. The fee in addition to helping keep supply and demand in balance also helps offset the cost of the equipment and staff who monitor the beach and have to set up and remove the equipment each day. We have never charged a resort fee, which can be as much as $15 per person per day at other local resorts, and we feel the cost of running the beach service should be allocated to those who what to use it and not the resort community as a whole. Finally I did speak to our maintenance department about our hot tubs. We checked the log book and found the water has been checked and balanced every morning. In addition they are both drained and refilled with new water on a weekly basis. I will continue to check to see if I observe your issue to determine if there is another problem and its cause. Thank you again for staying with us. We do hope you stay with us again once we have completed our renovations or in one of our other type of guest accommodations.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Captiva Island
#8 of 19 in Sanibel Island
Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina
Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina
#6 of 47 in Fort Myers Beach

Been to Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!