“Yearly Week In Paradise”

Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Captiva Island
Dunedin, Florida
“Yearly Week In Paradise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

First I went alone, then, later, my daughter joined me. She & I returned every year until she married and then her husband came along. When the girls were born they came with us, making 4th generation visiting Captiva.

'Tween Waters has everything. This year we spent the first day, in pouring rain, on the beach, in the Gulf, in the pool hooting & hollering and having a ball! It was warm and lovely. The weather usually is at this time of year. My granddaughters even found kids to play with.

We take the same room each year. It overlooks the bay and we can see ospreys fishing, manatees, fish jumping, right from our screened in (huge) balcony. It's perfect for a family and has a full kitchen with all amenities. The last few years we fit a crib into the living room even with the queen sofa bed pulled out.

The breakfast buffet is nice; there isn't much for "Weight Watchers" but I hardboiled my own eggs and there's Greek yogurt and always the option of ordering from the menu. We LOVE the waitstaff and being greeted with hugs each year.

There are tennis courts, a spa, and 2 excellent restaurants on the property. The Crow's Nest (the more casual of the two) has (hermit) crab races and music a couple of times a week. Since this is the "low" season there aren't as many activities as there are later on, but still plenty to do. There are kayaks and canoes to rent, fishing trips to go on, and, of course, shelling (which is what made Sanibel & Captiva famous to begin with).

"Tween Waters is always a great spot for a destination wedding or gathering; its situation on the Island makes it ideal for watching the sunsets. We're thinking of having a big party there for my next "huge" birthday. We love it!

Room Tip: There are cottages. The rooms overlooking the pool are newer but we prefer the bay view. Corner ro...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
GeneralManager22, General Manager at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 November 2011
Dear Riverlove,
Thank you very much for your continued support of Tween Waters Inn and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay. I always enjoy hearing from guests who love to share this very unique island and resort with family and friends. I am also part of a 4th generation family that has been visiting the islands since the early 70’s. I now call these special islands my home along with my wife and two children. I hope you were able to experience some of the many updates to our rooms and the property. We have been hard at work on over the past year. A great way to keep up to date with what is happening on Sanibel, Captiva and Tween Waters is by becoming a friend of ours on facebook. We have close to 11,000 friends that check in with us regularly and share their experiences with other fans. I am glad you enjoyed your experiences at both of our restaurants, The Old Captiva House and The Crow’s Nest (based on your Trip Advisor reviews of both). Our servers (and staff) take great pride in providing a warm and friendly island experience to all of our guests. I will be sure to pass your comments along to them. Thank you again for your continued support and please contact us if we can be of any assistance in planning your next visit or your next “huge” birthday party.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
findlay, ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

The Inn is nice but needs updating. The food and service is good. The docks are fixed and unless you get the long dock getting on and off most boats is difficult. They do not supply steps and you have to exit by way of your swim platform. You need a ladder and none are available. It is dangerous at best. Great sunsets and beach.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank treadnwater
GeneralManager23, General Manager at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 20 November 2011
We appreciate the comments of this reviewer. The hotel has been involved this fall in refurbishing a number of our accommodations with new furniture, fabrics, drapes, carpets and fixtures. A number of air conditioning units have been updated to more quiet and efficient units. And, two of our largest suites have been totally redone with new kitchens, bathrooms, floor tile and all furnishing and fabrics. We thank this guest for their constructive comments regarding access to our docks from their boat. To accommodate our boaters and to make their stay at the marina more enjoyable and safe we have begun the permitting process to install “finger” docks at most of our slips that will allow a side access, rather than across the stern or bow, to the pier. We anticipate the permit processing and construction will be completed in 2012. We are pleased the reviewer enjoyed our restaurants. Tween Waters Inn has an award winning fine dining facility, a casual dining pub atmosphere restaurant and a pool side bar and grill. We are very proud of our food offerings and service. Thanks again for this reviewers helpful observations.
Tarpon Springs, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

We loved everthing about Tween Waters !!! We stayed in cabin 117 and it was great we got to see some of the other rooms, great also.. The free cont. breakfast was a great extra. All the staff was great.. It was chiily out our 1st day there but the pool was heated and it was nice to sit by the pool. Can't wait to go back!!

1 Thank Angiestravel
Cottage 117 is one of my favorites also at Tween Waters Inn. It’s a cozy one room house with a great screened porch literally a half dozen steps to the bay shoreline and overlooks the marina. In fact, it’s not only my favorite but is one of the most requested units on the property. We are pleased this reviewer enjoyed the daily complementary continental breakfast buffet with its fresh baked breads, sweet rolls, fruit and fruit juices, yogurts, cereals and number of other tasty treats. It’s a great way to get your day started on this beautiful island! And for those who might like a hot breakfast, our kitchen has a wonderful selection to order from for a small cost. Thanks you for the terrific comment regarding the resort’s staff. We are fortunate to have assembled so many caring, professional, team members, many who have been employed at the property for 10 to 20 years. We are so pleased you want to visit us again. We can’t wait until you get here!
Hilton Head, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2011

We arrived for a week on 10/15 just hours ahead of a tropical depression. The staff went out of their way to ensure we had a wonderful time, despite the weather. We were able to salvage a few days of sunshine near the end of our stay and enjoy the pool and other outdoor activities. Used the spa on two days and were pleasently surprised with all services. Was overly impressed to observe the CEO of the resort grooming the grounds on a tractor the day after the storms passed. Believe me, every employee we encountered took customer service to that level. First visit of many to come!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you to this reviewer for their kind words. And we agree; the staff at Tween Waters Inn is exceptional. They are focused on providing for the best experience our guests can have, where guests are cared for as if they were family. The employees do have a terrific mentor to look to, our President and CEO, Tony Lapi. He has no problem doing any job required to ensure the smooth operation of the property – we often see him on a high-lift with a saw, trimming palm trees or grading the parking lot on his tractor after a rain. He also enjoys speaking to our guests informally or in an occasional focus group to determine what we can do better to enhance their stay at the resort and provide for wonderful memories. Tony does set the example for all of his staff to follow and to achieve. This, of course, translates into happy guests who fall in love with Tween Waters Inn – as Tony did some 35 years ago!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2011

I chose to plan my wedding at Tween Waters Inn which is one of my favorite spots to relax but I wasn't sure how they would do with my wedding but to my suprise and joy they did a flawless job making sure every part of my wedding went perfectly. From the beach ceremony to the reception everything was wonderful. I had a small wedding of 33 and everyone loved the atmosphere that Tween Waters provided. The food was amazing and the cake to die for...we stayed for a three day weekend to enjoy the pool and beach with friends and family. It was the best experience of my life. We will be back for our anniversary. Sherry and Dan are the best and took care of every detail. Thank you Tween Waters for making my wedding day the best it could be.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager22, General Manager at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 1 November 2011
LM1973,
We are very honored that you choose Tween Waters Inn Resort and Spa for your Wedding and it is wonderful to hear that your event went “flawless”. Our staff, including Sherry and Dan, work very hard to ensure that your special event is just that, truly special. Executive Chef Jason Miller and Baker Paul Sauer do a wonderful job coming up with new and creative event menus and preparing deserts and cakes right on site. We do hope you will return for your anniversary and please make sure to look into our special anniversary packages designed especially for people like yourselves. Thanks again for choosing us for your special event and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Lincoln Park, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2011

I've been visiting FL all my life but this was my first trip to the Gulf Coast. I booked Tween Waters via internet and I was not sure what to expect after reading some of the other reviews. I am a finicky traveler, but this place is really wonderful! The staff was pleasant and helpful. Captiva House dinner was awesome. Crab races, certainly worth-while...not to mention that some of the proceeds go to charity. The pool looked refreshing (note, a lot of kids - not that I mind that...), but with a private beach, who needs the pool! I stayed at a bayview guest room and enjoyed coffee while watching manatees beyond the dock. Bathroom looked new, flat screen tv in room (like that matters in a place like this),and painting etc on-going. The only thing I can say about the other reviews is that the air conditioner was noisy. Other than that, this place is the best and i cant wait to come back!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Leanne R
GeneralManager23, General Manager at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 16 October 2011
I’m happy to see you have discovered the West Coast of Florida. It’s a wonderful experience where the hustle and bustle of normal life can be put aside for awhile. We are especially happy you discovered Tween Waters Inn! As you found, this is a terrific, fun property to visit with a wonderful, dedicated staff. In fact, about thirty percent of the resort’s employees have been part of this team for more than ten years and many have been employed here for more than twenty years! Our Crab races are very unique if not a bit crazy and weird! But they are totally fun and have produced close to $150,000 for the United Way over the past several years! We are also very blessed with the wildlife that surrounds us. We frequently see the manatees you mentioned, in addition to dolphins, sea otters and an incredible array of birdlife. By the way, you mentioned the air conditioner in your unit was a bit noisy – we agree. To quiet things down some we have started a program of replacing the existing “through the wall” A/C units, even though they are fairly new, with whisper quite “split units” that operate similarly to central air. We are really pleased to hear you can’t wait to come back to Tween Waters Inn – we can’t wait to see you again!
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

I have traveled the world and my favorite place still remains to be Tween Waters Inn on Captiva Island. It is a paradise. The cottages are beautiful and you can't lose even if you stay in the hotel because the views are amazing! You can watch the Surnrise over the bay and watch the gorgeous Sunset over the ocean. The restaurants are wonderful and the service is always great! The poolside bar has great food and great atmosphere!

Room Tip: The bay side rooms are great for Sunrise and the Beach Front rooms are great for Sunset.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank moosiebear
Tween Waters Inn enjoys welcoming travelers who return to our resort year after year from all over the world – probably from many of the places you have visited. Our guests enjoy the “laid back” atmosphere of the property, the great facilities and the resort’s beautiful, unique location with the Gulf of Mexico on the west shore and the “back-bay” (Pine Island Sound, actually) on the east shore. Views are incredible. You simply cannot beat a Captiva sunset, or sunrise for that matter! The resort’s three food service areas provide everything from a casual sandwich or salad at the Oasis Pool Bar, to a great meal in the Crow’s Nest Pub – with entertainment most nights – to an elegant fine dining experience in the Old Captiva House Restaurant. There’s certainly a dining venue for everyone. Thank you so much for your very kind comments. We will look forward to a return visit – soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Captiva Island
#5 of 19 in Sanibel Island
Sanibel Moorings
Sanibel Moorings
#1 of 19 in Sanibel Island

Been to Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!