“Understated relaxation and charm”

Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Captiva Island
Key Largo
“Understated relaxation and charm”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Awonderful place for r+r. Great food and water sport activities. Large pool and spa.
You dont have to leave the property. The beach is great. This place has it all. Weekends can be busy weekdays quieter. Very casual with friendly staff.

Room Tip: We had a room. A little noisy to sleep in late. Cottages may be better choice. Food was excellent. C...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We have been going to Tween-Waters for 24 years. We were married there in 1988. It is pricey, no doubt about that. It is predictable. Nice accommodations - the rooms and cabins have been redone in the past few years. The beach is fabulous. Shelling is exceptional.

The breakfast buffet (which is included in the price), gets boring after a couple of days.

Cottages on the front are the best place to be in our opinion.

Room Tip: Gulf side is the best
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank LinseyBaby
GeneralManager22, General Manager at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear LinseyBaby,

24 years WOW!! I always enjoy hearing from guests who have been visiting our resort for multiple decades. I love to hear your perspective on our transformation from a small island inn featuring 51 cottage units to a 137 room resort featuring 3 restaurants, full service marina, spa, 2 pools, 3 tennis courts and much more. What I find most interesting is that the common theme is that you all feel that the property has kept its relaxed casual island feel throughout the years and that is why so many or you return. Thank you for staying with us again and sharing your comments. I just returned from a review of our complimentary breakfast buffet. We do try and change our offerings depending on season and availability. Today we offered 8 different choices of fresh cut fruits, 3 flavors of yogurts, 3 varieties of strudel, 2 different turnovers, 4 different types of fresh baked breads, 6 varieties of bagels, 7 cereal selections, 3 different flavors of juice (including local favorite Sun Harvest fresh squeezed orange juice), and more. Plus our resort guests can always upgrade to a selection from our hot breakfast menu offering eggs, omelets, pancakes, and French toast for just $5.95. In addition we try and offer a different breakfast special every day. We are constantly looking for ways to improve upon our offerings and services by listening to feedback from our guests. I would be happy to consider any comments or suggestions you have as to how we can improve our breakfast service. Please feel free to email me at Dougbabcock22@gmail.com or call the resort. Thank you again for staying with us and referring to us as “THE place to stay on Captiva”. Thanks to our guests and reviewers like you we have been named the Number One Resort on Captiva by Trip Advisor. Finally, please remember to think of us on your next anniversary as we offer a special anniversary package for guests that have been married on our property. We look forward to your return.
Hillsborough, New Jersey
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Our family just returned from a very memorable stay at Tween Waters. My husband and I had been to Captiva last August and had stayed at South Seas. We had eaten at the Crow's Nest one night and decided we'd return to Captiva in April to stay at Tween Waters with our two children. We are SO glad we did!

The location, charm and amenities of the resort make it a great place to stay. Our room was located in the Coconut building, which was central to all activities at the resort. We enjoyed the gorgeous beach everyday of our stay, which is just a short walk across a narrow roadway. We rented chairs with umbrellas which you can leave at any point in the day and come back later to relax in and watch the dolphins play. The pool was a lot of fun for our children and the food there is great! I was impressed with the food - the grouper tacos and burgers were delicious and the drinks were perfect. The pool bar service is outstanding - our bartenders Lisa, ML and Samuel were amazing- friendly, helpful and attentive. We didn't want for a thing while lounging at the pool. Our suite was very nice - clean and modest which suited us just fine as we didn't spend much time indoors. The beds were clean and comfortable and we loved watching the sunrise over the sound and the manatees swimming right from our balcony. The boats coming in and out of the marina were fun to watch and we did take out a guide- Jim Burnsed- for two days on the water which was magical. He is wonderful with kids and really knows the area well. I highly recommended contacting Jim if you want to explore the island by boat and/or do some fishing/snorkeling. We saw dolphins, bald eagles, osprey, comaran and other wildlife while on the water.

We skipped the crab races (bit too touristy for us) but we did enjoy dinner twice at the Crow's Nest. If you like tuna, you must try the seared tuna appetizer there. One night, I ordered a double appetizer as my dinner - sooooo different and delicious. The prime rib is also very tasty. We had great service at the Nest - Tania is the best!

We took advantage of the complimentary breakfast and really thought it was fresh and delightful. My husband and boys ordered omelettes a few of the mornings for a nominal charge ($5.95 for a ham and cheese omelette with potatoes and toast) and I just relished in all of the fresh fruit offered at the buffet - papaya, pineapple, watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew and strawberries as well as yogurts, cereals, bagels, crossiants, danish and cheese.

We did not use the services of the spa but the workout facilities are good - modern and clean.

Just a short drive away from the resort (about 2 miles) is Blind Pass, which is an excellent shelling beach (my carry-on weighed a ton from all of our treasures) and fishing spot. Be sure to spend some time there with a fishing rod or shelling net.

We can't wait to book another vacation at Tween Waters - this time we will stay for two weeks - at least!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Capemay M
GeneralManager23, General Manager at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 5 May 2012
We are so pleased you took the time to write such an interesting review on Tween Waters Inn! And, we are pleased you found us while staying with the “guys” down the street. Actually, we have heard similar statements previously as well as see many of “their” guests enjoying themselves, and the music, at our restaurants in the evening. It was terrific to read your comments regarding our staff – we are really proud of them. They love being part of this operation and it shows in the great customer service they provide. But you know, they approach their job not so much as a server taking care of their customer but more like a friend taking care of another good friend. You are correct, the food served at our Pool bar and in the causal and the fine dining restaurants is terrific.
I also loved your comments regarding the wildlife around the property and area – we truly are blessed to be located in this wonderful part of Florida.
The next time here you really should experience the Crab Races – touristy, yes, unusual, yes again, really a bit weird, yup, but all in all a lot of fun! Did you know half of the proceeds from the “races” is donated to the United Way?!
Your comments about your charters with Capt.Jim Burnsed were great. Jim has been operating his boat out of Tween Waters Marina for many years now. He is very professional and capable in his career as a Fishing/Shelling Guide. We frequently hear other guests say similar things about him – they really enjoy being on his boat and come back to him year after year. Again, his operation it’s not so much only providing a fishing/shelling service to a customer as it is like taking some friends out on your boat for a day. Our guests simply love Jim (or Jimbo as he is known around the property) as they do the other four fishing/shelling guides that operate from our marina. And, for people not into fishing or shelling, we have a wonderful sailboat charter as well as sea kayak and stand up paddle board tours available from our docks.
Thank you again for your candid comments; we too can’t wait for your next vacation at Tween Waters Inn!
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Limited reservations so call Tween Waters the morning of to reserve a parking spot and a day of pool fun, then walk across the road to enjoy your packed picnic lunch on the beach (and save &&!!) It costs $35 dollars and in return they give you a $25 voucher to use that day. Prices are a tad steep and they will apply an 18% gratuity to your total bill as you are only a guest so watch for that, but the pool is great!! Our daughter loved it (6yrs old) as she didn't always love swimming in the ocean. We did not stay in the cottages or the hotel area so we cannot comment on that part of the resort. We will most likely stop by when we're in the area again next year....love the weather!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank madwoman17
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 21 April 2012

We stayed here while attending a destination wedding. If you were to ask if I would stay here again, I would have to say "No." With the price you have to pay for a room, that has got to be places where you get more "bang for the buck."

The buildings look old on the outside (some other reviewers have called it "Old Florida"), but most have been renovated inside. If you get a room that looks like it was from the 1970's, demand a renovated room. One of my fellow guest did exactly that after seeing the rest of us with nicely done rooms.

So, yes, we had a renovated room complete with granite counter-tops in the kitchenette, etc. But as I said, it was the attention to detail that was lacking. The ceiling fan over the bed squeaked when on. The thermostat in the air conditioning unit in the wall seem to have little correlation to the temperature of the room, plus every time it started up, you received a minutes worth of musty smelling air. The air conditioner made sitting on the balcony almost impossible, due to it was so loud every time it turned on. The sink in the kitchenette didn't have any hot water. There was a wall clock in our room whose hands never budged. I saw this same clock in other rooms, also not running. What's the point? Also, our outside door would not close all the way without really slamming it. I returned to the room a couple of times after housekeeping had made up the room to find the door not closed.

As I said, the room was nice, but someone needs to pay attention to stuff like this. This is what makes a $250 a night room disappointing.

The WiFi at the resort is a joke if you want to use it in your room. The directions given when you checked in were obscure. After trying unsuccessfully to get online, I ended up going down to the front desk for help. I work in the IT industry, this is NOT rocket science for me. The woman, behind the desk (E.) was rude, telling me that she got off duty in 5 minutes and obviously displeased that I had to reboot my computer. It turns out their WiFi networks have multiple names in multiple formats (no consistency) and they have different security schemes. Some you have to put in a network key, some you don't. Some you have to enter a username and password on the browser screen, some you don't. In addition, I was told that the "hurricane walls" of the rooms will block the WiFi signal. She suggested I use the WiFi in the common areas....not acceptable to me. It finally ended up that for me to get on the WiFi, I had to carry my laptop outside my door, connect, then use the laptop at the kitchen counter. If I moved the laptop another 5 feet to the desk, the signal would drop out. Since I run my own business, connectivity was essential to me.

We enjoyed the pool area, service was great there. We too stayed away from the hot tubs. The brown walls were really off-putting, even if the was is totally clean. The continental breakfast was good. The one dinner we had in the restaurant was excellent.

As I have said, it is a nice place with the potential to be a great place. But for now, I'll spend my vacation dollars elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't take a room overlooking the pool. It gets noisy. Overlooking the Pine Island Sound (sunr...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank CeeGee48
GeneralManager22, General Manager at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
CeeGee,

We are certainly honored that we were chosen for the destination wedding that you attended and that you took the time to share your experiences. We appreciate guest like yourself that share their comments so that we can, as you state, pay attention to the details. I am sure that you will be glad to know we are in the process of addressing several of the issues that you highlighted in your review. We are replacing all of our “older” style PTAC air conditioning units in our studios and water view guestrooms which we agree are inefficient and noisy. The new mini split systems are much more efficient and will eliminate the noise on our balconies as the condensing units will be mounted on the ground floor. Currently we have about 16 units completed and we hope to have the balance completed this summer. I do apologize for the squeaky ceiling fan, hot water issue in your kitchenette, and front door not closing properly. Our pre-arrival room inspectors should have alerted out maintenance department prior to your arrival as they all sound like quickly resolved issues. For future information our maintenance department is on location from 7 am to 10 pm daily and our front desk in open 24 hours a day. They would be happy to help resolve any issues you have during your stay. If you will kindly provide me with the room number you stayed in I will make sure we address all of your room issues. Our Wi-Fi is a little more complicated. While it works decent I will agree that it is not ideal. The construction of our buildings, all the experts agree, makes it very difficult to penetrate some of the rooms. While it may not be “rocket science” it is not a textbook application or installation. We are currently in the process of working with several expert designers and testing different types of equipment. This is the main reason for the temporary inconsistency in our security schemes. We hope to have a solution installed by the early summer. Thank you again for staying with us and sharing your comments. Our goal is to provide value for all of our guests resulting in a desire to return. We pride ourselves in being Trip Advisor’s number one rated resort on Captiva and the many positive experiences and comments we have received. We look forward to seeing you again in the future and please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 20 April 2012

We loved this "Inn" which is more of a resort. Hotels rooms, cabins, food, pool, hot tubs, gym, spa, bar, marina, private beach, great staff. The continental breakfast is chalked full of homemade pastries and fresh fruit, not to mention the freshest orange juice I've ever tasted. They have made this 'Inn' an upscale resort without loosing the feel of being on an island. I hope to visit there again soon.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Port Charlotte, Florida
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We love Tween Waters Inn. It is very comfortable and everyone is friendly.
It is so nice to be able to get to the beach easily and they have a wonderful swimming pool and bar.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Captiva Island
#5 of 19 in Sanibel Island
Sanibel Moorings
Sanibel Moorings
#1 of 19 in Sanibel Island

Been to Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!