“Tween Waters the REAL Florida”

'Tween Waters Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Captiva Island
Reviewed 7 September 2012

We love this place, we live nearby and wanted to just get away from any temptations to work. We had a great time at the crab races, then just wandered around on our bikes, beached a little and did the kayak rental. Everything was low key and just what we needed. The food at the breakfast buffet was excellent and so was the service. The rooms were nice an clean and updated. This is not a fancy 'luxury hotel' It is quaint, comfortable, clean, and charming and that is exactly what we wanted. We took a short ride to south to Sanibel and also just north of the inn is' downtown' Captiva and did a little bar hopping and site seeing. Perfect ! Oh and almost forgot, they know how to do pillows!!!!

Room Tip: NOTE there are NO elevators, but the gulf view rooms view makes up for the trek.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Debra F
Write a ReviewReviews (3,013)

Reviewed 5 September 2012

My husband and I stayed at Tween Waters the Friday and Saturday night of this past Labor Day weekend and had a wonderful, relaxing time. The best thing about Tween Waters is its location on Captiva, in that you have more beach privacy than in most parts of Florida, because parking is so limited on the island hat there aren't very many people there. There was a continental breakfast buffet that offered plenty of fresh fruit and coffee. Accommodation-wise, it's fine, not fabulous. I found the room to be a teeny bit dated but certainly not shabby and each unit has a screened in porch with two chairs and a table. We stayed on the gulf view side--the benefit ihere s you have an gulf view and if you have the door open (which we could not because it was too hot and the AC was on) you can hear the waves, but there is a road between you and the water. If you stay on the bay side, you don't have a road blocking your water view. I think I would have preferred the bayside for this reason, but my husband disagreed and liked the gulf side bettter--that said, I don't think you can lose with the view either way. There is a little area of a town near the hotel and it has a nice array of restaurants and a great little general store.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kareno425
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Stayed three nights over Labor Day weekend. Room was clean and comfortable overlooking the pool. Maid service was quick and thorough when I was gone. Loved the black-out curtains over my balcony slider doors--absolute darkness even with the morning sun. My bed was divine.
Pool area was busy but service was great-the pool bar staff obviously strives for good service.
Had breakfast every morning in the Old Captiva House and dinner every night in the Crowe's Nest and the food each time was good and as advertized. Pool bar lunches were also very good.
I brought my boat and was glad that the marina staff was protecting the beach for the actual paying customers of the hotel- evidently, they get a lot of outside boaters coming in for lunch by the pool, which would be fine until the hotel's customers can't find a place to dock/beach- so I'm glad they are thinking of who's paying the majority of the bills around there.
Tween-Waters is not the Ritz, but I don't like the Ritz. If you want the Ritz, go to the Ritz. If you appreciate the natural beauty of Captiva, then accept the charm and good service that Tween Waters offers and just realize that you might see a bug somewhere along the line in south Florida and don't panic.
It's a one of a kind wonderful place and I will return.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank thomasnhal212
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We stayed 3 nights over Labor Day Weekend and had a great time. There is a lot to do. We did the Spa, Boat rentals, ate at all 3 restaurants, and hung out by the pool. No complaints about any of it. The property is clean, the rooms are newly redone and nice and clean, the staff was always friendly and helpful. Its not super fancy, but the place delivers a lot of value for your money and I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a nice relaxing retreat.

Room Tip: Ocean View was as promised, nice view from balcony
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DiverRob561
Reviewed 1 September 2012

I checked in with my family in August 2012. There were bugs running all over the kitchen. We asked to switch rooms. All the rooms we looked at were filthy. One room didn't even have working AC. We ended up choosing the room with no bugs and my husband had to was out the tub from the previous guests hair. The staff was not helpful and very rude.

• Stayed: August 2012
5  Thank Dizzle122
GeneralManager22, General Manager at 'Tween Waters Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2012

Dizzle 122,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your review. I am very concerned by the issues you expressed during your stay with us. As you can see from our many positive reviews, your stay was not typical of our guest’s experience. I apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay. I will be the first to admit that we are not perfect nor free of mistakes much like any other person and/or business. However, what is equally important is how we handle these mistakes when they occur which I feel distinguishes us form other resort properties in the area. With that said I have sent you a personal email inviting you to contact me directly. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you further so I may have a better understanding and insight into the issues you experienced as your review is somewhat vague. I would like to personally inspect the rooms and meet with our staff to discuss our shortcomings in hopes of improving our future guest’s experiences. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 27 August 2012

I have been staying at Tween Waters for decades. This delightful inn with charming cottages and good food always delights. Even during lasts weeks threat of an August storm, Tween waters was busy, so book early. The shell seeking is an extra bonus, with a short walk to the long white sandy beach. After sun and surf, I enjoy a pina coladaat the pool, or a short walk to one of Captiva's sunset cafes. This is a vacation spot wth much to do at the park, beach, in the village or a boat ride to Cabbage Key. It islao a spot for doing very little, such as sitting on your
private porch and reading or writing a book. I travel the world, and only live 2 hours away. yet I still return to this captivating spot in the sun.

Room Tip: Motel rooms are fine, yet ordinary. treat yourself to a small cottage.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank amberbach
GeneralManager22, General Manager at 'Tween Waters Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2012

Amberbach,

Thank you for staying with us again and sharing your experience. We are very proud to say that we have many guests that have been staying with us for decades and some families are on their second, third and even fourth generation of resort visitors. We appreciate your advice to future travelers to book early, especially for our cottage units, as we have seen an increase in vacationers booking further in advance making availability a little more competitive. We also recommend that you call us directly to book using our onsite reservation staff. They are intimately familiar with our property and can best answer questions and/or recommend the right accommodation for your vacation needs. Another good suggestion is to friend us on our Tween Waters Inn Island Resort Facebook page where we share, with our 14,000 fans, island and resort information and Facebook only specials and contests. Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to your many future returns.

Reviewed 23 August 2012

Great getaway from Fort Myers. We stayed in the Cottage this year with friends. Had a great time. Nice remodeled kitchen and bath. The Beach, Pool, Food is fantastic. They give you resort coupons when you check in. There is no need to go anywhere else. We even enjoyed the crab races. This was our 3rd year and we will always come back. Jeff Shuff makes it a really nice place to want to come to every year!! We even brought our dog and he loved it. One of these years we will make it a week stay.

Thanks again to all the staff

Room Tip: The cottages are great especially with the view of the gulf. You can't beat the sunsets sitting...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
#5 of 20 in Sanibel Island
Castaways Cottages of Sanibel
Castaways Cottages of Sanibel
#11 of 20 in Sanibel Island

Been to 'Tween Waters Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!