“Love 'Tween Waters but it's time for some upgrades”

Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Captiva Island
Newtown, CT
“Love 'Tween Waters but it's time for some upgrades”
Reviewed 30 March 2013

We came back to 'Tween Waters in early March for a 7 day package this time. We have been previously, with 3 and 5 day packages, and were anxious to be there longer. The setting, as usual, is very special with the bay on one side and the gulf on the other. Unfortunately our weather was cool but we were able to get a few afternoons where the sun got pretty warm by the pool. We were happy to see the new outdoor furniture everywhere, around the pool and on our balcony. The poolside lunches are our favorite (but they no longer offered my favorite tuna fish sandwich!) and the water in the pool is a perfect temperature. I noticed more chipped tiles at the pool this time, so would like to see that taken care of before our next visit.
There are two hot tubs which I never went in this year - - they need to be relocated to a more private area with more atmosphere (even a few flower pots would help) around them. One hot tub is directly next to the coffee bar/towel pickup area. And, maybe one tub could be designated for adults only??

There were a few issues with our room which could have been prevented I feel, if a quality check had been done at some point prior to check in. For example, lamp switches that didn't work, loose electric outlet covers, and a wall phone which was not attached firmly to the wall. On the second day, the heat did not work in our room, and after a miscommunication in the morning, by the evening there was someone on site who did fix the heating unit. The staff was very responsive once the issue had been sorted out, and gave us a generous credit at the restaurant. Overall, it is difficult to have anything but a good day at 'Tween Waters, but we would like to see more attention to detail as described above. The bathroom could also use a cosmetic upgrade, and an addition of grab bars (there are no grab bars anywhere to assist in getting in and out of a deep tub/shower.)
We do love 'Tween Waters but will probably take a break before visiting again, hoping some upgrades will occur.

Room Tip: Bayside rooms offer great views of the water birds and the yachts in the marina.
Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager22, General Manager at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Dear CTtraveler717,

We thank you for your many return trips to Tween Waters Inn Island Resort as well as taking the time to share your experience. I am glad that you were able to stay with us for 7 nights and take advantage of our 7 night package which we feel is our BEST VALUE. It includes up to a 25% discount on your nightly room rate plus $150 restaurant credit, $50 spa credit and free cabana, canoe (or kayak) and bicycle rentals. Thank you for sharing your comments about our pool and pool area. Our pool is geothermally temperature controlled at a constant 87 degrees. This unique process allow us to efficiently heat the pool in the cooler months and actually “cool” the pool in the warmer months. In addition, I am happy to report, we will be closing our pool early December 2013 for about 1 week to replace the pool tiles and repair the steps. I apologize for the minor issues/inconveniences you experienced with your room. We have inspectors check each room prior to check in who alerts our maintenance staff to these types of issues. I will be sure to share your comments with our inspectors. Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We constantly strive to improve our property through renovations based on suggestions from guests like you. We truly appreciate your feedback. We do hope you will come to stay with us again and experience our continued efforts to improve our guest’s experiences. Please feel free to contact me personally if I may be of any further assistance.

Kind regards

(239)472-5161 x453

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
Merrimac, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 March 2013

My husband and I have been been to Tween Waters many times over the years since we have a lot of family in SW Florida. Sometimes just for a day visit via boat, for a long weekend or a nice weeks vacation. I was really looking forward to our vacation last May. My body really needed some r&r. We booked a suite as we have done before and ended up in the Mangrove bldg as we did the last visit. We were both disappointed to see that our suite had not been renovated. We knew that other rooms had been. The tub in our suite was so dinged up, the paint on the walls had many areas were it needed to be touched up or cleaned. The biggest disappointment was the bed. It was AWFUL! I kept waking up about every 90 minutes because I was so uncomfortable. At first I thought it was me, but my husband assured me it was not. He wasn't sleeping well either I let it go a couple of nights. I was exhausted all day long from not getting a good rest. One night it got me so mad I went into the living room and pulled down the Murphy bed! I slept on that. I received a better night's sleep that portion of the night then any of the other nights. The next morning I pulled up the sheets on the king bed to see the mattress.We were horrified to see how bad the mattress was. The pillow top was completely flat. Along the sides of the mattress you could see the springs pushing out againist the fabric that had bowed in! I took pictures for my own piece of mind. We complained to the manager but he said that we couldn't switch rooms since they were completely booked. We understood that since there were three weddings taking place over the weekend. What he said they could do was swap out the mattress. Fine, as long as it was better. Later that day we returned to our room. I pulled up the sheets again and it didn't look one bit different. I just wanted to cry. Too many sleepless nights and it looked like another was on tap! needless to say I slept on the Murphy bed the rest of the stay. We both felt that this could have been handled better. When we returned home we told that a mattress in that state had to have been between 15-20 years old. We expect better from a resort like Tween Waters.
As far as the rest of the resort, it did look like it could use some updating. However, the overall resort is a fun place to chill, enjoy the sun, Gulf, pool and tennis. In the past we have given serious thought to having a big gathering of friends there for a fun vacation. However, with our last experience I wouldn't dare suggest it. I don't think we'll return. How can we be assured of a good mattress? Too much money to waste.

Room Tip: I gave this a bad rating based on the value we place on r&r. Seeing that we didn't get much...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sbhlvr
GeneralManager22, General Manager at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
Dear sbhlvr,

We are glad that you and you husband are frequent guests of Tween Waters Inn Island Resort and Spa. We do, however, apologize that your most recent stay last May was less than perfect. I am happy to report that all the units in the Mangrove building have now been completely renovated, as of November 2012, which includes all new bathroom with glass enclosed shower, granite top vanities and kitchen counters, new travertine tile, carpet, furniture, appliances, kitchen cabinets, 42” and 32” flat screen TV’s and paint. In addition we are in the process of replacing all of the mattresses at all three of our Sanibel and Captiva locations 2 years ahead of their scheduled life expectancy replacement. We should have the new mattresses installed by early this summer. I am not sure of the issues you experienced with your mattress. I have sent you a personal message through Trip Advisor’s message program encouraging you to contact me to discuss your experience in further details. I did check with our front desk to see if there were other mattress related issues in the Mangrove building since your stay last May. I did not find any reported. We again apologize for the issues you highlighted in your review regarding your stay with us. Rest assured that we have and will continue to take actions and make adjustments based on feedback and reviews that we receive. We do hope you will stay with us again and give us a chance to again earn your future business. Please feel free to contact me personally if I may be if any further assistance.

Kind regards

Skipton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2013

3 days spent in this idyllic place. Our own bit of heaven but not cut off from people. Excellent in every way. Loved the beach and being able to see it at all times. Both restaurants were very good. The sunset boat trip, with 'President Rousevelt' was great fun and gave us some lovely pictures. Even were joined by the dolphins. Loved the amble to the end of the island, finding some lovely shops to make a purchase as a memory of a superb break. We had travelled from Orlando, Miami Beach, Key West, The everglades, Captiva and Siesta Key. Perfect. thank you.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Lees summit
Reviewed 21 March 2013

We have come to Sanibel Island several times and usually stay at the same place. We thought we'd try Captiva this time, but needed somewhere where we had a kitchen and family size room as we are a big group and like to hang out and play games after a day at the beach or shopping. Tween Waters looked really good online, but has not lived up to it's marketing. The kitchen was miniscule, there is no place to sit and eat and the front room consists of some chairs, a couch and a coffee table. Won't seat more than 5 people even though the rooms sleep 6. Part of our party was across the complex even though we were assured we'd all be together. We've had to have the phone fixed in our room, and all remotes need new batteries. A bit frustrating.
On the positive, the hotel is close to the beach and has a great pool and wasn't as crowded as other places we've stayed for spring break. The cabanas and chairs for rent on the beach are in good condition and the beach personnel are very helpful. Captiva is a quaint interesting area as well.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Kathy H
GeneralManager22, General Manager at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 22 March 2013
Kathy H,

We are glad that you stayed with us and enjoyed our staff, location, beach and Captiva. We do apologize that your accommodations were not what you were expecting. From your review it sounds like you booked online and chose a 1 bedroom suite. We always encourage our prospective guests, especially first timers, to call our onsite reservation agents to help ensure that we match your accommodations to the size and needs of your party. Our 1 bedroom suites will sleep 6 but we do not recommend 6 adults stay in a unit of this size which includes 2 queen beds, a sleeper sofa and only 1 bathroom. In addition our 1 bedroom suites are advertised with kitchenettes and not full kitchens. Given the size of your party and your desire to spend evenings in your room we would recommend a larger 2 or 3 bedroom suite or cottage. These units would have offered better sleeping arrangements for all 6 adults, 2 bathrooms, a larger sitting area and a full kitchen. We also apologize for the issues you experienced with your remote and phone. I do hope our maintenance department was able to quickly resolve your issues. We hope you will come back and enjoy Captiva and our location again in one of our larger units. Thank you again for staying with us and sharing your experience. Please feel free to contact me directly if I may be of any further assistance.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 21 March 2013

We had a wonderful vacation at Tween Waters Inn. All amenities are in close walking distance. The resort is small but has everything you could want or need. The restaurants are very good, the spa is lovely, the pool area is nice. We also enjoyed the use of kayaks and bikes. The bay and marina are directly behind the hotel with a beautiful sunrise view. The only drawback is that the beach is across a busy street but this was a minor issue. We plan to stay at Tween Waters Inn again!

• Stayed April 2012
Attleboro, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Again a wonderful 2 weeks! I'd like to mention certain staff members for their excellent service...the host/hostess in Old Captiva House Joyce and Dan are wonderful. So friendly and personable..they made breakfast a very pleasing experience...along with the super Continental breakfast, of course! AlsoLudmila our housekeeper kept our room in excellent condition and again was very friendly and lovely.We were happy to be given the same room as last year (366) which is a gulf view room in Seagrape...as far as I am concerned the very best.We have reserved for next year but only able to book a week until Carol lets us know if a second week is available. I will be calling for sure!!! Cannot magine not having 2 weeks...even thinking of adding on a few more days!
The grounds are very well kept and ALL staff members greet you with a smile. The location is right between the Guld and the bay...what more could you ask for???

Room Tip: ask or a studio so you will have a small kitchenette...well worth it.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Newark, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 19 March 2013

We have been going to Tween Waters for the last 8 years. Always a great experience. Great beaches. You don't have to leave the resort to have a good time but if you do there is so much to do here. Its quiet, people/ staff are friendly, food is good. You can see dolphin and manatee without leaving the resort.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
#9 of 19 in Sanibel Island
Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina
Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina
#6 of 47 in Fort Myers Beach

Been to Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!