“Absolutely love this place.”

Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Captiva Island
Nashville, Tennessee
“Absolutely love this place.”
Reviewed 31 January 2011

We have been going to Tween Waters with our two daughters for the past 5 summers and planning another trip for summer of 2011. The staff is friendly and helpful. Rooms are clean and comfortable and we love the resort. The beach is beautiful and great for shelling. Waves are quite calm most of the time and it is great for children. The cabanas and umbrella rentals are great and complimentary towels. The pool is a relaxing oasis with a great little grill restaurant and the bartenders are so nice and great service. We get our room on the bay side so it is really quiet and nice to see the boats from our balcony. The restaurants and shops on the resort are nice and we enjoy the complimentary breakfasts. We absolutely love Tween Waters Inn.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
Clermont, Florida
Reviewed 31 January 2011

We stayed at Tweens in July 2010. It was myself, my husband, our teenage daughter, 11 year old son and 2 year old daughter. We were there to celebrate our oldest daughter turning 18 and her send off to the Marines. The rooms were beautiful and kept very clean. The beach was beautiful. We ate at the Crow's Nest our first night. Dinner was great but service was mediocre. Breakfast every morning in the Old Captiva House was WONDERFUL!!! Beach grille was amazing as well. Huge servings. We rented a boat on our daughter's 18th birthday to go to Cabbage Key for lunch (a must). The marina and staff were sooooo nice, helpful and accommodating. Sunsets on Captiva are indescribable.

Now, negatives. The water in the pool was too warm for July. It was far from refreshing after a day on the beach. My daughter went to rent a canoe and was told she could not pay cash but had to charge it to our room. My husband had to go down there and the male attendant was very rude to him. He told my husband "he had never had anyone want to pay cash to rent before." I do not believe that as long as this place had been open. He finally let him pay cash but was short and sarcastic with my teen daughter. They do NOT allow coolers by their pool. They police it like it is illegal contraband. I know they do this so they can sell more alcohol by the pool, but not everyone can spent 100.00 a day on beer. So, if you want to drink beer and lay out by the pool and you do not want to or cannot spend 5 bucks or more a piece for beers during the day.....you are out of luck. We have stayed at a lot of resorts in a lot of places in the world. Most high end resorts give complimentary chaise lounge usage for guests, tweens do not.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay. I do agree with one of the other critiques, the staff is far from friendly (other than the marina staff).

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
london
Reviewed 15 January 2011

This is the sixth time my family and I have stayed at Tween Waters. Invariably for some winter sun over Xmas and New Year. It's a lovely, relaxing place with a low key feel, nestled between the beautiful waters of the Gulf and Florida bay.

Reading the posts shows the quirkyness of the resort and I guess it's not for everyone. In fact we have recommended Tween's to others and some have had a less than great experience. No its not the smartest, and its probably fair to say that the service and decor could be improved. But if this is what's important to you then you shouldn't be looking at Capitva Island anyway. This is a place that is still stuck (thankfully) in a 1960's timewarp.

Most of the staff have worked here forever and feel like part of the furniture. Those down by the pool deserve a special mention, though all have been helpful and pleasant to us. Food is fine though nothing spectacular - but then again where is it in Florida?

If you are a family with hard core teenagers then they may get somewhat bored - thankfully our children seem to remember their innocence at Tween's ... and that rubs off on us.

The base units are fine but I'd recommend staying at one of the cottages or the 2/3-bed suites. All are good but do check / do your homework on the one you are being put in. They do vary in terms of layout and views.

So with all these (minor) caveates why do we keep going back?

Tween's is all about kicking off your shoes, forgetting about work and taking it as it comes. This includes relaxing by the great pool and hot-tubs, making new friends, drinking margaritas / beer, strolling on the beach, gathering shells, playing tennis, going for boat rides (ask for Captain Rob), fishing off the pontoon, spotting dolphins and manatee, watching the sunset (which still never fail to impress), crab-racing (yup - it really is true), listening to local musicians and lesurely walks to the village store and Mucky Duck pub.

If this is what you're after then I'd happily recommend. Enjoy.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Greenwood Village, Colorado
Reviewed 10 January 2011

We went to Tween Waters for a Christmas getaway on Captiva. Unfortuately the weather was not the greatest but we had a good time. The resort is an old established tradition on Capitiva, and is a bit quaintly dated. The cabins are very well maintained and very clean, but the furnishings could be updated. I didn't see the roooms or suites. We found the staff to be friendly and very willing to work with us on check in/out times, and correcting any other problems we faced. Especally pleasant were the management folks at the desk and restaurants. The breakfast buffet was very nicely presented in a beautiful bright old Florida room, which worked very well for our group. The pool area was spotless and well staffed; the weather wasn't great but the staff still made every effort to help us have a good time. The town of Captiva is about a mile down the road, which I found to be a very nice walk on the beach. The Capitva restaurants were nothing special, but we enjoyed lunch at the Mucky Duck, and a fun very informal seafood feast at the Lazy Flamingo. Shopping is fun down there; and a visit to the Shell Museum was a fascinating way to spend a rainy afternoon. Had the weather been better we would have kayaked the Ding Darling preserve for sure.
Our time there was restful and pleasant, it was not a Ritz experience, nor do I think that is the aim of the Resort. Rather we heard of families coming back for decades, and making next year's reservations at check out. It would be a nice option for a family with kids seeking a relaxed and low key get away for a week.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 4 January 2011

We've been going to Sanibel/Captiva with family, friends, or both almost every Memorial Day weekend for the past 25 years. We have also made it there on other occassions, including my for my step-daughter's wedding on the beach in front of the hotel a few years ago. We almost always stay at Tween Waters, although in recent years we've stayed in our RV at Periwinkle Campground, too.

We love the 2-bedroom cottages at Tween Waters. They've been updated and re-decorated in recent years, so they're even nicer than when we first started going there. The 2-bedroom cottages are spacious and include a living room, 2 bathrooms, and full kitchens. We don't cook a lot when we're there because there's so many good places to eat on the island, and it IS vacation afterall!

We love the location, too. The cottages are right across the street from the Gulf, so you can watch those amazing sunsets right from the screened front porch if you want to. On the backside of the property, you are right on the intercoastal waterway and there's a full marina...that comes in handy because we have traveled with as many as 15 people and 3 boats!

Tween Waters has a nice big pool with lots of chairs for guests. They also provide beach towels. There's a great bar, the Oasis Pool Bar (formerly the NoSeeUm Bar) poolside...they serve up great pina coladas with chambord floaters on top. Our only issue with the pool is that the hotel doesn't do a very good job of policing paying guest vs. day visitors. It stinks to go out there and find it crowded with people not paying to be there taking up chairs and taxing the wait staff.

There's also a marina store on the property just in case you forgot something, or if you just want to shop. The resort also has a day spa, a tennis court, The Crows Nest Bar and the popular Old Captiva House restaurant. You really never have to leave the property other than to go to the beach.

The beach is a beautiful white sand beach, and of course, Sanibel-Captiva is reknowned for the shelling there.

The staff is polite, but not very friendly; they've never caught on that we've been there so many times, and you'd think they would know us by now...maybe some kind of notes in the computer?

Tween Water's is not cheap, but they have all the amenities, as well as that "old Florida" style that we really like.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DianeP49
Switzerland
Reviewed 29 November 2010

Arriving on Sanibel Island it is recommended to stop at the Visitor’s Centre and to ask for a map of the Island. They will also provide you with some hotels that offer a special price if you come from them. Along the way I checked a few accommodations located right on the beach. But they were either too expensive or not my first choice.

After driving around, I landed on the Captiva side, which is in my opinion the nicest and most romantic part of the island. At the Tween Waters Inn Island Resort a friendly concierge gave me the choice of three rooms. I decided for a corner large double room with kitchenette overlooking the bay at a reasonable price. The rooms are all good sized, very clean, comfortable and the one on the Bay have a spectacular view.

To access the beach you have to cross the street but then you will have miles and miles of white sandy beach almost to yourself. Before sunset usually dolphins swim so near the beach that you can almost touch them.

Breakfast is included and will be served in a sunny separate building.

If you don’t want to eat at the resort, in just a few minutes drive you can reach an area with cute restaurants, some of them even have live bands.

In general, the place has a very good feeling about it and is the ideal place to relax and just enjoy life.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lori05
Upurs
Reviewed 8 November 2010

If you want your wedding day to be everything you’ve ever dreamed of, than I wouldn’t rely on them! As long as they are getting paid, they really have no concern for anybody else. They should be providing the most special day in a couple’s entire life, instead their main priority is that they don’t lose a dime, even if it’s from their own mistakes!!!!! I can’t even explain in words how furious I am at their services. The location and view was absolutely beautiful!!! But it was definitely not worth the heart ache. I've never met such selfish people before in my life. When the transportation failed to pick me up, I had to walk from my room, across the street to my beach ceremony. That’s not how things should operate. I could go on all day, about all of their other screw-ups that they caused on my wedding day!!!!!!!!! Like I wasn’t already stressed out enough!!!!!!!!! Thanks a lot, what a memory!!! I will never have another wedding day....but why even bother reviewing it, because THEY DON'T EVEN CARE!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2010
#9 of 19 in Sanibel Island
Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina
Pink Shell Beach Resort & Marina
#6 of 47 in Fort Myers Beach

Been to Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!