“Just go for dessert or when very hungry”

The Bubble Room Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 3 Dessert in Captiva Island
Price range: US$19 - US$32
Cuisines: Bar, Seafood, American
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Knoxville, TN
“Just go for dessert or when very hungry”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This is a tiny, old building with small, dark rooms that are covered with old toys. Our party was squished into a corner so that we all had to stand up to let anyone out of their seat. We waited outside in a light rain to be seated. You can also wait in the bar, but I felt a bit claustrophobic there. Service was decent. I had to ask for refills and ask to get our bread (which is included with our entrees), but at least our server was around which is more than I could say at many Captiva restaurants. The cinnamon rolls were good. The entrees were large but pricey ($25-$30). Even the children's plates are really large (what kid can eat 1.5 chicken breasts on his own?) I had pasta with shrimp and couldn't eat half of it. Desserts are very large (mostly cake) so you could go just for that if you want to check the place out. There is a case right inside the door so you can also stop in and get one to go.

• Visited April 2014

Clayton, Georgia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bubble fun!”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My husband and I ate here 5/1/14 for dinner, and might I say it was amazing! I had the Charlie Chaplin Chop, and he had the Some like it Hot, Hot, Hot! Pork chops were cooked to perfection, very moist and succulent to the last bite, the Some like it Hot is a spicy shrimp dish that was very flavorful as well, my husband ate every bit of it! Next came the cake, the slices were huge but amazing! I had the world famous orange crunch, recommend by a friend, and my husband had the moist chocolate cake, YUM! Our waitess was amazing as well she was able to answer any of the questions we had, and provided great service! I would recommend this place to anyone!

• Visited May 2014
Miami, Florida
“small and stuffy”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I passed by and saw the small reastarant with all the memorabilia so we decide to go in for lunch. Small place but overall good food and great big pieces of cake.

Visited September 2013
Seattle, Washington
“Supposed to be a tradition, take with grain of salt”
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

We were told if we went to Captiva we should go to the Bubble room. We were with my sister in-law and her kids and the outside is colorful and fun looking. Upon entering you will see it's fairly dark inside, filled with antique toys, a ceramic clown hung above our table. Not my scene at all. You'd never know you were near one of the most beautiful beaches in Florida. The server was very friendly, but it's the kind of place where the servers wear outfits, a bit cheesy. The margaritas were actually quite good and the food was prepared well. Biggest advice: if you have kids and you are on captiva for a few days, sure bring them here for a novelty experience. But if you are in Captiva for the day and/or don't have kids, head for a place where you can eat al fresco like the Mucky Duck where you can enjoy your drinks just feet away from the beach.

1 Thank 196rndthewrld
AR
“Good but not Extraordinary”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

While on vacation in Ft Myers/Sanibel, we happened to time our visit to the Bubble Room just as they opened up for dinner. I was glad we arrived early and had our choice of parking spots because the parking close to the building is extremely tight. I wouldn't recommend any large SUV try to park there as people always try to make a parking spot where they aren't supposed to and then you're really stuck. However, they have better parking across the street for the larger vehicles. I had visited here once before with friends and mainly went because I wanted someone in my family to experience the place once. I had gone before at lunch and remembered the prices being in line with most other casual restaurants. I didn't realize how much more expensive dinner was going to be. The item I had ordered before was not available at dinner, and the minimum price I saw on the menu was about $20 per meal. However, we had driven all the way out to Captiva to go there, so we just went with it. I ordered The Tiny Bubble, which is the cheapest thing on the dinner menu and comes with dessert. You get the famous Bubble Bread and a sticky bun and choice of a house or Greek salad with the meals. I thought the sticky bun was kind of a strange offering, since we already had the Bubble Bread. It was just too much bread at once, so they wrapped up the buns for us for later. The Bubble Bread was probably the best thing I ate there. It's a very unique recipe, and I can't say I've had any other bread like it. If you get the Tiny Bubble, you get your choice of one of the appetizers as a meal. I wouldn't recommend The Little Rascals appetizer. I'm not sure if their other appetizers are so small, but it was just 5 pieces of shrimp laid on a plate in some type of sauce and a piece of French bread, which I definitely didn't need more bread but bread came with most if not all appetizers. I guess they are trying to justify the cost of The Tiny Bubble meal with the dessert that comes with it. The piece was so huge that me and my family member split it and weren't able to eat it all. I got the Orange Crunch Cake because everyone had raved about it. It was good, but I found parts of the cake and icing to be a little dried out and not smooth, which isn't very awesome when everyone has built it up to be something of perfection. Not sure why they call it Crunch cake as there is nothing crunchy in it. If I went there again, I'd try a different dessert.

As far as the atmosphere, if you like a flashback of old pictures and items to look at while you dine, this is the place. There are old cards, photos, ads, and other small items everywhere, even under the glass in the tables, and old pictures all over the walls. My family commented that it was a good use of old junk that otherwise would probably just be sitting in someone's basement. The restaurant winds around inside, so it's hard to look at it all without feeling like you are disturbing other diners. Would recommend for a visit once and at lunchtime.

• Visited April 2014