“Take this restaurant in context”
Review of Green Flash

Green Flash
Price range: US$0 - US$22
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, View, Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Birmingham, AL
“Take this restaurant in context”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I think the wildly-differing reviews of this restaurant are due to varied expectations. We've been visiting the island for more than 30 years, and we've never had an "unforgettably good" meal here. We haven't found true culinary excellence on Captiva. But for this little village, Green Flash has good food, comparably priced to other nearby options. After all, $15 hamburgers are the norm here, so an average $25 entree for dinner is to be expected.

Our six adults ordered a wide variety of dishes for our last night on-island. We had eaten at Doc Ford's a few nights earlier. Green Flash was a good place to "celebrate" our trip. We intended to go to the Mucky Duck, arriving just a few minutes after 5pm, but was told there was already a one-hour wait there, and they weren't at all interested in encouraging us to stay. Green Flash has the same owners, so we went there instead and were served immediately, with easy parking. It was quieter than Mucky Duck, and we had a nicer view. The atmosphere is a bit dated, as others have noted, but it is a white tablecloth kind of place, and attracts an older crowd and fewer families with small children, which was fine with us. Although our group included four 20-somethings, they enjoyed the calm.

If you have a non-seafood eater in the family, their options will be slim. But our family was happy with shrimp, crab and other specialties. I had the pork wellington, and it was good.

The service was very nice. No complaints. Just be prepared for $25 entrees that are pricey for mainland standards but good by Captiva standards. If you want a better "value," you probably should explore options on Sanibel or even Ft. Myers.

1 Thank Alabama

Philadelphia, PA
“Pretty good”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Good food and view. Nice restaurant but after visiting I think the restaurant leans on its captive location for many of the reviews.

Our food was good and service was almost nice. We came here looking to have a nice time but the waitress was so downtrodden I was trying harder than she was to make this an enjoyable experience for my family. Again the food was fine, the waitress was annoyed at something and the matradi who sat us seemed annoyed I asked for another table. Again the food was good but there are a lot of other competing places that quite frankly offer a lot more. The people at the table next to us had some drinks that had the wrong ingrediats and I could not get a water glass filled to save my life. There was nothing notably really bad just a lot of small, Non islandy, rudeneses that are kind of uncommon in Sanibel Captiva. We probable will never be back but again the food was good.

Houston, Texas
“good all the way around”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Crispy Grouper was excellent. Really good Conch Chowder. Service was good. Nice view of the bay. Very nice ambience. Would return.

Visited June 2014
St. Louis, MO
“Good scallops and grouper”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We enjoyed the dinner - a very nice setting and our waiter was knowledgeable and friendly. Didn't have the wine we wanted, but they had a good selection nevertheless. The hot flash shrimp is an excellent appetizer. The pan seared Diver Scallops were cooked to perfection, but I had a hard time discerning the saffron in the cream sauce. The lobster tail was fresh and well prepared. The accompanying vegetables were tasty. Avoid the spatzli - it was charred and bland.

Visited June 2014
Cumming, Georgia
“Beautiful bay view!”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I have been going to Captiva for 20 years now. The Green Flash is a favorite because of the atmosphere. I have seen manatee, dolphins and rainbows from my dinner table. I enjoy the fresh fish, shrimp, and pasta specials. My family loves the chocolate cake! The crunchy grouper is better at other restaurants. I don't care for the key lime pie as it is frozen and icy as apposed to creamy. I do go there every time I am on the island ( three to four times a year ). I recommend the lunch too!

Thank Christine Prath... C