“Fabulous Location, Horrible "Resort"”

Travelodge Monaco N Miami and Sunny Isles Beach
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Fabulous Location, Horrible "Resort"”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I have stayed at many Travelodge locations on many different travels and have referred Travelodge to family and friends, however, I am utterly disappointed that Travelodge failed to meet my expectations on what was suppose to be a short trip of relaxation.Check-in was scheduled for anytime after 3pm, after arriving to the hotel at 3pm, I was told it would be a few minutes before my room would be ready, it turned out to be an additional twenty-five minutes before I was able to check into my room.  After entering my room and using the sink, the water would not drain, which would have been nice to notice before I used and spit mouthwash into the sink, I turned on the television set, to notice that every single channel came in fuzzy, and would flicker after having been on for a few minutes.  Shortly thereafter, I plugged my phone charger into the wall, only to notice that the outlet was too deep and whatever was to be plugged in would fall out.  Not a problem, I tried another outlet, and then another...finally, after trying four outlets, I was able to finally get my phone to charge, although, I had to hold it steadily in my hand, or the charger would fall out of the wall once again.

After leaving my room, and going to the cocktail bar on the hotel property, which was very heavily advertised and review sites and the main reason why I choose this Travelodge; I came to find caution tape around the entrance and sidewalk, as if it were some type of crime scene.  After booking my room and calling to confirm my reservation, no one mentioned to me that this cocktail bar was no longer open and there was remodeling throughout the hotel property.  I must say that this greatly disappointed me, as I was looking forward to taking advantage of relaxing and having a old drink at the Travelodge's cocktail bar.

After coming back to my room Friday night, after a day on the beach, I notice that the room deadbolt on the door does not properly lock.  Being a single female, traveling alone, I automatically felt a sense of being unsafe.  I went to the front desk, and was told that there were not any other rooms available and to try to "giggle the knob and push the door.". I went back to my room, attempted to do what was suggested and after three attempts, I was able to lock the door, but I most certainly was not looking forward to doing this every time I came back to the room over the next two days.

Shortly thereafter, I got into one of the two double beds, only to find blonde hair (I'm a brunette, and makeup stains on the covers, sheets, and pillow cases.  Disgusted, yet exhausted, I jumped out of the bed to try the other bed, which appeared to be clean.

The next day, I decided to use one of the lounge chairs the hotel offers to guests, to find a chain and lock on all the chairs.  I went to the front desk, only to be told that the chairs could not be used after 4:00 pm. Again, I hate to be one to complain, but after having been a Travelodge customer for white some time, I must say that I have never been so disappointed and disgusted at another hotel before.  I understand that individuals make mistakes and economic times are quite difficult, but unfortunately, due to the past experience and the failure of the staff to make the conditions better, I will be looking beyond Travelodge for upcoming vacations and places to stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank 248Ash

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 7 July 2013

very basic hotel with placed on a great spot right on the beach ,lots of restaurants around,we had towels everyday exchanged ,wifi..everything.. if you're on budget this is the place to go ..we loved this place and we are planning to go back soon.

Room Tip: all the same I prefer with kitchenette
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank turaevalora
whotravelsny
Reviewed 19 June 2013

The hotel wasn't the terrible campground that I had expected from reading the reviews here. It is more of a motel and it's surrounded by very upscale condos and hotels on the beachfront. The beach itself is less crowded than the areas further south on Miami Beach and the water seemed calmer. It's definitely not a luxury resort, but it's also a nice departure from one if you don't want the Miami "scene" but a low key getaway. It is worn vintage, but clean. I didn't see any insects in the room. The restaurant downstairs was open until nearly dawn and the staff was better late at night than it was in the day when the cashier didn't speak English. The hotel had beach chairs available but they're only released after 10 AM and are taken back at around 4:30 PM. The people at the front desk are pleasant and we were charged exactly what we were quoted, including the $11 resort fee and taxes. I've found the best prices for the hotel on 3rd party websites.

One complaint I'd have is the paper thin walls. This was a problem for us on a Saturday night where I heard conversations, televisions and particularly rambunctious love-making until the wee hours of the morning. However, it was peaceful on Sunday night. We also had a problem with the bathtub draining but maintenance came by quickly to fix it. Regarding the A/C, it wasn't controllable so to keep the room cooler, we left the windows covered by the thick shades as long as we weren't in the room.

Most importantly, it's in a great area with a Walgreens across the street, and near a wonderful grocery store called Epicure. Two doors down is the Acqualina Resort that costs over $400 a night. By saving your money at the Monaco, you might want to treat yourself to a nice upscale Italian dinner at Il Mulino in the Acqualina -- well worth it!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank whotravelsny
Reviewed 15 May 2013 via mobile

Pros: inside the beach, with beach service (towels, chairs and bar). Clean. I like the location, it's in a calm neighborhood, near many stores and supermarket, walgreens, starbooks. Good restaurant at hotel (pizza, pasta, chicken wings..,)
Cons: old instalations, breakfast not included, expensive fees (parking, resort), no elevator.

Tip: if you have heavy bags, ask for a room in the ground floor!!!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Giovanna A
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Miami Beach
Sole on the Ocean
Sole on the Ocean
#3 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach
Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach Resort
Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach R...
#8 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach
Golden Strand Ocean Villa Resort
#5 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach
Courtyard by Marriott Miami Aventura Mall
Doubletree by Hilton Ocean Point Resort & Spa

Been to Travelodge Monaco N Miami and Sunny Isles Beach? Share your experiences!