“Best, most authentic Thai food in the USA”
Review of Panya Thai

Panya Thai
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Local cuisine
Good for: Local cuisine
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Having lived in Bangkok for two years as a boy, being married to a Thai woman who works in Thai restaurants and having been back to Thailand several times, I consider myself to be highly knowledgeable about Thai food and Thai culture.

This past Sunday my wife and I were in the area with Thai visitors so we stopped at Panya for lunch. This was only my second time to the restaurant as we live over 100 miles away.

The Thai culture in this restaurant is very authentic with Thai waitresses in traditional Thai dresses serving the meals. Thailand is known as the "Land of Smiles" because of the happy smiles on the faces of the people. The wait staff here is no exception. Service was prompt, very friendly and food was served piping hot. Our waitress saw me snapping pictures and happily asked me if I would like her to take a picture of the group. Very nice. Decorations include the usual Buddha statues as well as a golden model of a Thai Royal Barge. Nice decorations that make one feel as if they are in a Thai place in Bangkok.

In America, we become very blase when restaurants claim to be authentic because of the usual bland so-called Mexican food and others that are cooked to American tastes and lose their traditional flavors. Panya is the exception to that rule. I had Seafood Pad Thai and it was amazing; pieces of crab, squid, etc on top of the sweetest/freshest Pad Thai I have ever had. People at our table ordered items I have never seen in a Thai restaurant in the USA; fried oysters that are actually cooked flat (not like in our traditional Po-Boy sandwiches) with a nice sweet sauce for dipping comes immediately to mind.

Do not let the outside of this restaurant fool you. Panya sits in a small non-descript strip mall just a couple of miles off of I-95. There is nothing about the exterior to garner your attention anymore than any other non-descript place in the area.

This is an amazing restaurant for those looking for traditional Thai cuisine in a small restaurant with a Thai atmosphere.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED !!!!!

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Been here many times and try different things and is always the same, Perfect.
For lunch they have a special price menu, but you can always order from the regular.
Is paradise for vegetarians, many choices. Love the curry sauce, the pad thai, the drunken noodles, the papaya salad, all is good. The service is also good, is not a beautiful restaurant and the location is not the best but the food omg.

1  Thank Jarbe
Reviewed 23 January 2014

the ambiance and location might not be the best, but the food is - and that is the major reason to go to a place to eat: having a pleasant meal, that tastes good and does also something good to your body and spirit. And here you get it all. A NYC based friend of my, who told me, to go to Panya Thai, thinks, that even there he could not find better: and that means a lot!

Reviewed 12 January 2014

A little out of the way, but worth the trip. The food was excellent and well seasoned. The service was courteous and prompt. The menu has a variety of food and a range of spices food. I had the mussels and the portion was ample and savory.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

We enjoyed every dish we ordered. This is a good place for vegetarians. Most of the dishes can be order with tofu instead of meat, poultry or seafood. Ambiance is not that great reason while I give it a four, but food, service and value are worth the visit!