“Unless you like the beach”

John D. MacArthur Beach State Park
More attraction details
Owner description: Reservations accepted the working day after Memorial Day. Groups limited to 25 people.
Reviewed 15 November 2013

According to guidebooks... there was supposed to be a multitude of birds and wildlife. According to a local... the last few years have been void of wildlife and birds but did not know why. If you like the beach you may enjoy coming here in that it is right on the water.

2  Thank frugal-one

Reviewed 19 October 2013

Great value for $5. I am not a nature person but this was a great nature experience. Felt like I was in a jungle . Huge spiders, lots of birds and fish. The raw open ocean beach brought you back 500 years. The staff was great.

Reviewed 14 September 2013

We went here on one of our stays in FL, and we loved it, and have been back three times since! W love the moonlight concerts, bluegrass music, the nature, and most especially the kayaking! We took out the kayaks for 7 hours one day and we saw so many special places. It was a great family experience getting to go boating in kayaks, and being out on the beautiful water. We absolutely had the best time and are actually thinking if buying year passes ( we heard from a friend that they have them, but I am not positive).

Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

The last night of my vacation and I have to say it was the most amazing night with the best woman I ever met. Jerri Bilz

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We went there over Labor Day weekend, and it was not crowded at all. We had a lovely time.
Park opens at 8AM, we got there at 8 and the only tough part was to walk over the bridge (from the parking lot to the beach), is not long, maybe 10 min, but when you are carrying all the beach stuff, plus snorkeling gear and you have 2 small children that don't carry much... can be tough :) But it was totally worth it!
They do have a free tram that will take you over the bridge, and operates from 10 am to 4pm.
We took it on our way back.
I read the reviews but forgot to bring a flag to do snorkel. Not a big deal, they rent them at the gift shop for $4 for the day, they open at 9AM.
The beach is really nice, lots of shells, and snorkeing was good, visibility that day was not perfect, but still, good snorkeling time.
They have showers and bathrooms close to the beach. Very convenient.
I will be going back soon.