“Wonderful Beachfront Resort”

Doubletree Beach Resort by Hilton Tampa Bay / North Redington Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 February 2011

My Husband and I stayed at the Doubletree Beach Resort for four nights in February, in one of the ocean front rooms. Our room was clean and nicely decorated and the beds were very comfortable. The lobby and restaurant/bar were pretty and very well kept up. We never expect very much from hotel food but the food in the restaurant was surprisingly good and we ate there regularly for breakfast and a of couple times for lunch. The pool and the Tiki Bar looked like fun - however it was cool when we were there and we didn't spend too much time outside. We really liked that there was a covered parking garage under the hotel with an elevator that takes you right up to your floor. It was really nice to have that because it was rainy a couple of the days that we were there.

For me, the most important part of staying in a hotel is the staff and how they interact with their customers. At this property everyone from the front desk to house keeping was cheerful and genuinely friendly, and very helpful. I would definitely return here.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Doubletree Beach Resort by Hilton Tampa Bay / North Redington Beach

Reviewed 17 February 2011

We were only able to stay one night - staff were excellent and very pleasant. I disagree with a prior comment about easy parking, underground parking was very tight and could be difficult when full. Rooms were pleasant. Due to time of arrival we did not get to use the deck or pool but looked very nice. Would like to return in summer and enjoy

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 February 2011

This hotel was so easy to stay in. The rooms were so comfortable, the staff so very responsive to our preferences (What times would you like us to clean your room each day?), the ease of parking and getting to a from our room to beach/to car..., the view from our balcony, the room service! All so easy for us to have heightened relaxation...and then the best part...if there could be anything better...was their Mango's Restaurant. The food was always creative and delicious! Breakfast, lunch, room service, dinner, Early Bird Dinner,coffee and dessert...and the prices were most reasonable. It is clear why this hotel continues to win the national prizes. We'll be back!!!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 February 2011

This was a wonderful stay at an awesome hotel. The hotel staff is incredible! We were here for 5 nights in a gulf side room. Absolutely fantastic! We ate at the hotel every day and were never disapointed with the choices and quality. I have to say as a frequent doubletree hotel traveler this was one of the best! We visited the nearby bird sanctuary and donated to a wonderful cause. We had a great time and are looking forward to returning soon. Hilton/Doubletree should be proud of the friendly staff and outstanding hotel manager!

Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 February 2011

My room was waterview and on the beach. It was wonderful to have the sound of the surf put me to sleep each night. The view off the balcony was wonderful each morning and night.
The first day I asked my server at Breakfast where I should go first and what I should experience during my stay. Three employees gave me great suggestions, provided me with maps and coupon books.
The location was great as I travelled north and south of the hotel each day of my stay. The outdoor tiki bar was a fun place to hang out.
The beach was clean and a great place to walk throughout the day and early evening.
If I am in the area again I would definitely choose this location to stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 February 2011

We were supposed to stay here on Feb. 2-6. Unfortunately, a blizzard stopped us from going on our vacation. I would like to commend the management at the hotel for reimbursing me for my rooms that were pre-paid. I can't thank them enough. Hopefully, we will get to rebook out trip for May and visit the hotel.

Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 January 2011

I have to begrudgingly admit that doing reviews on Hilton line hotels are getting a tad bit boring – The Hilton Hotel chains are consistently very good to excellent. Hilton pays attention to what is quintessentially important such as clean rooms, comfy bed and responsive staff.

This hotel is located beachfront. There is a trolley that runs along the main drag to the front of the hotel, but if you want activity (shopping, choice of eating, etc.) after hours, you will likely want a motor vehicle. Unsurprisingly, there is a tropical / beach theme to this hotel.

As with other Hilton line hotels, the bed was comfy and room was clean. The bathroom in the room I stayed was particularly noteworthy. This bathroom was exceptionally clean. I also really like the Neutrogena shampoo and conditioner that was provided (in contrast to other Hilton lines where a more flowery scented offering is provided).

Another notable hit at this hotel is the in room coffee – Wolfgang Puck. Usually I avoid the in room coffee and don’t bother to comment; however, I was in the mood for a cup of coffee and was pleasantly surprised by a smooth, flavorful cup from the free “in room” option.

Despite being winter (January), I made use of the outdoor pool which I am happy to report is truly heated. This was another pleasant surprise and I enjoyed this feature every night of my stay. The pool was very clean and heated as advertised.

Moving on to neutral territory is the TV which looks to be about 27” or so CRT. I call this a neutral as on the negative side you would probably expect to see a flat screen LCD at a hotel of this caliber (beach prices, etc), but on the positive side I thought the selection of stations was better than I usually experience. (I have also experienced flat screen TVs that pixilate so flat screen TV of itself is no panacea…besides with the beach so close, snap off the TV and enjoy the area!)

I would be remiss to offer a critique without at least a few criticisms:

1. The elevator seemed very slow. I realize that this hotel is located in a resort area with a relaxed pace; however, I would suspect the slow response of the elevator could get to be an issue during the busy season particularly with families who may like to travel to / from beach and room throughout the day.

2. I found the climate control in the room a little tricky. I will qualify this criticism by saying that I am no mechanical wiz. The thermostat appeared to be a mercury style switch which is not an issue, except that when you adjusted the temperature, you couldn’t tell if the system was picking it up. This resulted in a couple times where I “overshot” on the temperature. After about a day and half, I started to get the knack of it.

This trip also offered some “lessons learned” for me as a new Hilton Honors Gold level member. At this level, Hilton offers choices for rewards which vary somewhat among the specific hotel line. In many cases, you can select either a “space available” room upgrade and continental breakfast OR additional Hilton Honors points. First off “space available” is a big gamble. In this case, I lost big time on the gamble and was treated to the infamous “parking lot” side of the hotel. I did inquire on 2 occasions about a possible upgrade and both times was told very clearly that it was not available and was told that everyone attending my particular conference at the contracted rate was staying on the parking lot side. On the first day of the conference, I did lunch with 2 colleagues, 1 of whom remarked that (s)he was staying on the Gulf side (and later also confirmed that (s)he was paying the contract rate. I will cut the hotel some slack here as I do suspect they were heavily booked. It was indicated by hotel staff that they only had 2 Gulf rooms left. Unfortunately, for me, Hilton does not share the same definition of “available” as Southwest Airlines (“if the seat is free it’s yours”). At one point, I even asked if they could upgrade me for partial nights – nope, “no go” there as well.

The “continental breakfast” left something to be desired as well. The coupon identifies the continental breakfast as “coffee, juice and your choice of toast, English muffin, croissant, or muffin. On the first morning (at approximately 7am, a time I would consider reasonable for breakfast) I went to the restaurant and selected a muffin. The response was that there were no muffins as the bakery delivery hadn’t occurred yet and it might be “5 minutes or 50 minutes”. While I realize some may consider this nit picking, but if you are advertising such and if you have 2 conferences going on, you would think that advertised food fare should be well stocked. I expressed my displeasure to the Hotel staff. To their credit, they did provide a card with an apology and provided a coupon for a full breakfast. (A “follow up” email was also received acknowledging my issues. I will credit the management for their customer outreach efforts).

My lesson learned from this experience was to change my VIP rewards to the points. As I travel largely for work, I suspect that the “space available” incentive would be merely a tease. (Hilton should consider a corporate policy for providing something when space is “not available” as "not available" is no reward at all). As far as the breakfast, it really doesn’t have a great value to me; I don’t eat much for breakfast (actually skipped the second morning completely) and food is often provided during the conference as well.

My second lesson learned is that loyalty only goes so far. Much as I think Hilton has a great product, after this experience I definitely am much more open to considering other options.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
#1 of 15 in Madeira Beach
Sirata Beach Resort
Sirata Beach Resort
#13 of 32 in St. Pete Beach

Been to Doubletree Beach Resort by Hilton Tampa Bay / North Redington Beach? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Doubletree Beach Resort by Hilton Tampa Bay / North Redington Beach

Address: 17120 Gulf Blvd, North Redington Beach, FL 33708-1443
Region: United States > Florida > North Redington Beach
Bar / Lounge Beach Business Centre with Internet Access Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Restaurant Room Service Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in North Redington Beach
Price Range: £90 - £247 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Doubletree Beach Resort by Hilton Tampa Bay / North Redington Beach 3.5*
DoubleTree Beach Resort by Hilton is a true combination of Florida and the Tropics! Experience our tropical sun, gentle breezes, powder white sand and the sparkling blue green waters of the Gulf of Mexico. Centrally located between Clearwater & St. Pete Beaches, directly on the Gulf of Mexico. 125 tropically appointed guest rooms, each with a private furnished balcony, 40" flat panel TV with 66 channels including 24 HD channels, mini refrigerator, wireless high-speed internet access, ergonomic desk chair, iron/ironing board, USA Today delivered each weekday morning, two telephones, and CITRON Honey & Coriander by Crabtree & Evelyn Bath Products. Private beach and beachfront swimming pool, 24 hour business center and gift/sundry shop, Mangos Restaurant with indoor/outdoor seating, beachside Tiki Bar featuring live entertainment, and onsite cabana and water sport rentals. Come see us! We'll always have a warm chocolate chip cookie with your name on it ready and waiting! ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Odigeo, Hilton Hotels Direct, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Doubletree Beach Resort by Hilton Tampa Bay / North Redington Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Doubletree Beach Resort By Hilton Tampa Bay / North Redington Beach Hotel