“First timer”

Carmine's Cafe
Ranked #53 of 479 Restaurants in Ocala
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Description: Telephone: 352-854-1000 This is the best kept secret in Ocala!!
Ocala
“First timer”
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

I have driven by this place every day on my way to work for the past 7 years, I have been trying to get wife to take a chance and try something new. It's very difficult to get her to try new restaurants. She finally agreed. I had the linguini a la vongole, my wife tried the chicken francese. I was impressed with the food. My clams were real clams and not frozen baby clams that are farm raised. My wife devoured her chicken Francese. She love the decor the friendly atmosphere,and of course her dish. The owner Angelo came and greeted us at the table and poured a very generous glass of wine for my wife. We love it so much we brought my relatives the following night and friends the day after that, each time ordering something different and not regretting it. Stop in and you won't be disappointed.

Visited March 2014

Ocala,FL
“Food was good/issues with service”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

First of all, let me apologize for this being so long but this is truly one of the worst service experiences we've ever had. I've been reading the good reviews for awhile so we decided to try this place since it was close to home. We got there around 5 and there was only one other couple in the restaurant. We were told to sit wherever we liked and brought menus and water almost immediately. It appeared that there were several waitresses and a waiter who were waiting on all the tables together and the first one came and offered us water and asked if we'd like wine. Since they only sold it by the glass and there were no prices listed anywhere we decided on a couple of beers. She was very nice and arrived back shortly with our beers. Next came a waiter who we could hardly understand and asked if we'd like wine. We told him we already ordered beers. My husband did ask how much a glass of wine was and the waiter appeared to be confused but answered 7.99. Well, that seemed really high so he decided to stick with the beer. He then asked if we wanted to order. We had barely sat down and looked at the menu but he then offered to tell us about the specials. My husband could not understand him and I questioned and we finally understood and asked if he'd give us a minute to decide. He did come back shortly and we ordered. Fresh bread and garlic oil was delivered almost immediately by the first waitress who had brought our beers. We noticed that there was another waitress sitting at the bar and smacking gum and playing with her phone. A group of 4 came in shortly after and sat near us and ordered just after we did. Our salads appeared and they were good and we both remarked that we were happy with the food so far. We had barely finished our salads and the dishes were whipped away by the gum chewing waitress. Our meals arrived and we both remarked how good they were. My husband had the grouper special and I had chicken marsala. As we were eating we noticed that the table next to us was finishing up their salads/soups and the waiter appeared with their meals. One lady asked them to hold her meal as she was still eating her soup. I don't think he understood her but after a few more "please hold" it was taken away. Just a few minutes later it comes back (by the gum smacking waitress) and she leaves it even though the husband told her that they had asked it to be held. She leaves it anyway and acts like she never heard him. The husband remarks "I guess they don't understand Hold". My husband finishes his meal and I ask for a to go container. The container arrives and then all of a sudden the gum smacking waitress is at our table clearing dishes while I'm trying to put my leftovers in the container. She actually starts picking up my silver ware as I am trying to use it to put the leftovers away and she picks up my dish as I'm holding it. My husband asked her to leave the silverware but she continues to pick up everything, again like she doesn't hear him. She then starts picking up the dish I have in my hand that I am spooning into the container while my husband is still telling her to leave it there. I'm not sure what it was with this waitress. Maybe she was just responsible for clearing tables and she was on a mission to do so to get back to her phone? We absolutely felt like we were being rushed so they could clean the table to get us out! It's not like there were customers waiting for tables. The place was maybe a third empty! I immediately got up and went over to pay the bill, which we didn't have but I wanted out. The waiter was standing at the register and when I asked to pay he then wanted to know if we wanted dessert. Um no, I just want to pay and get out of there. He tried ringing up the bill but was confused and had to go find the gum chewing waitress who did know how to use it. By now I'm wondering if this person was a manager or owner. I certainly hope not!! I'm not sure if this is normal for this place but having 3 people waiting on you seemed like overkill and we felt like we were rushed through everything. Even though the food was good, we will not be back.

• Visited March 2014
3 Thank Lindaosm
Gurnee, Illinois
“Great Food and Service”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Carmine's is one of the better restaurant establishments! Very personable staff and great food. They were even willing to make a dish not on the menu! Been there with a larger group and with family and the service is wonderful. Highly recommended! Good prices too.

• Visited February 2014
The Villages, Florida
“Viva Italian”
Reviewed 11 February 2014

On a recommendation from friends we went to late lunch/early dinner on a Saturday.
We were greeted by Angelo, the owner, of the restaurant. Though the food is freshly made to
order, it was not a very long wait. To start, there is the homemade bread with garlic and oil...yum. Everything was served piping hot. Special requests are welcomed and if they have the ingredients they are more than happy to accommodate. Leave room for dessert because the
cannoli is divine.

• Visited February 2014
S.E. MI
“An odd combo”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

The food was very good, we came in for lunch on a Friday afternoon about 1:30pm. We had the place to ourselves,and so why was our service so bad??? So this is an Italian restaurant, but all the staff was from Mexico, and spoke very little english and when I asked the waitress a question she had to go get the cook, he spoke some english, very heavy accent. We had to ask for water, a take home box, the bill. We had calzones, which by the way - the menu online is NOT the one in the restaurant. The food was good, the restaurant was nice inside, small, looked clean, granite top tables, cloth napkins, stemmed glassware, heavy silverware. The owner came in towards the end of our meal, not at all friendly, he just sat at the bar and watched t.v. A little friendliness goes a long way. We prefer to support "mom & pop" businesses, but to be honest we just didn't feel comfortable here, the place was just unfriendly. We won't be back. One other rather odd thing - there were several open holes in the wall, just above the tables where electrical outlets used to be, now they are just holes in the wall.

• Visited January 2014