“Very good service, terrible food”
Review of The Club

The Club
Ranked #295 of 497 Restaurants in Ocala
Price range: US$5 - US$22
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 April 2011

We had not been to the Candler Hills Restaurant in a pretty long time. We always enjoyed their food in the past and the atmosphere was always warm and cozy. They renovated since our last visit. Previously they had tables as well as booths. The booths have been replaced with tables, all lined up in military order, adorned with crisp white table cloths. Too formal in our opinions. This is Florida, everyone likes things casual. The waiter was very polite and attentive, which is always a plus for any establishment.

We started off with the Portobello Mushroom Fritters, drizzled with white truffle oil with horseradish aioli. Sounded yummy. What we were served were several orange slice shaped bits that where fried beyond recognition, I mean they were burnt. Should have sent it back but we tried the appetizer anyway. Terrible, just terrible. If there was mushroom in this mess we could not find it. At this point we realized they had not dressed the dish with truffle oil and there was no horseradish aioli as promised. We just left everything and waited for the next dish. The waited came over and took away the fritters, did not ask if we wanted them boxed to take home. We think he knew they were awful too!

For our main course I ordered Chicken Balsamico. All I can say is the chicken was overcooked and very dry. I pushed it around the dish but did not consume much of it at all. My husband ordered the Par 4 Burger, cooked medium rare. You guessed it, the burger was cooked to a perfect gray color throughout. The potatoes he got with the burger were fried beyond recognition, just like the Portobello Mushroom Fritters. He did, however, eat his dinner, he was starving and said he could not wait another minute. Our waiter did not ask me if I wanted my leftovers wrapped. We asked for the check and got the heck out of there. We will never go back.

Candler Hills, you used to serve decent food, What Happened?

2  Thank HappyFloridians