“Excellent Choice for Informal Meal with Friends”
Review of The Club

The Club
Ranked #288 of 493 Restaurants in Ocala
Price range: US$5 - US$22
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Wonderful choice of lunch specials, excellent service, reasonable prices. I had an excellent Reuben sandwich, perfectly prepared with good lean corned beef and sauerkraut. Located in the middle of the Candler Hills section in On Top of the World, the restaurant offers good choices on the menu, pleasant and friendly service, and appropriately moderate prices. Nothing fancy, but just right for lunch or other informal meal with friends.

Reviewed 24 January 2013

Went to Candler Hills with a group of eight one evening. It's a very attractive setting and the waitstaff was great...friendly and made suggestions on our meals. I was somewhat surprised that they mainly offered sandwiches and a few dinner offerings, but the sandwiches were very good and everyone had a pleasant get together. Will probably go back again, but prefer a menu with more options. Service was very good...I must give them credit for that!

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Was disappointed as I'd seen the ad with the waitress with the great looking Coney Island on a platter....oh, Boy! Got there today, the waitress was very good, place looked clean, inviting. Beer was cold, Ordered a coney Island - and was told the kitchen didn't have any coney sauce! WHAT? The waitress scrambled and came up with what looked like a Chicago Dog to me. Grilled onions, split grilled 1/4 lb. hot dog with tomatoes. Very good, but not a Coney!

Reviewed 22 April 2012

I've enjoyed eating at this restaurant for over three years. It has a pleasant casual atmosphere and the service is very good. Prices are reasonable, the drinks are generous and the food is generally good. I especially like the hamburger platter and the specials. Their weekly prime rib special is a great value, but the quality of the cut varies from fair to very good with every order.
Overall, I recommend this restaurant for a casual dining experience at reasonable prices.

Reviewed 21 April 2011

We had not been to the Candler Hills Restaurant in a pretty long time. We always enjoyed their food in the past and the atmosphere was always warm and cozy. They renovated since our last visit. Previously they had tables as well as booths. The booths have been replaced with tables, all lined up in military order, adorned with crisp white table cloths. Too formal in our opinions. This is Florida, everyone likes things casual. The waiter was very polite and attentive, which is always a plus for any establishment.

We started off with the Portobello Mushroom Fritters, drizzled with white truffle oil with horseradish aioli. Sounded yummy. What we were served were several orange slice shaped bits that where fried beyond recognition, I mean they were burnt. Should have sent it back but we tried the appetizer anyway. Terrible, just terrible. If there was mushroom in this mess we could not find it. At this point we realized they had not dressed the dish with truffle oil and there was no horseradish aioli as promised. We just left everything and waited for the next dish. The waited came over and took away the fritters, did not ask if we wanted them boxed to take home. We think he knew they were awful too!

For our main course I ordered Chicken Balsamico. All I can say is the chicken was overcooked and very dry. I pushed it around the dish but did not consume much of it at all. My husband ordered the Par 4 Burger, cooked medium rare. You guessed it, the burger was cooked to a perfect gray color throughout. The potatoes he got with the burger were fried beyond recognition, just like the Portobello Mushroom Fritters. He did, however, eat his dinner, he was starving and said he could not wait another minute. Our waiter did not ask me if I wanted my leftovers wrapped. We asked for the check and got the heck out of there. We will never go back.

Candler Hills, you used to serve decent food, What Happened?

2  Thank HappyFloridians