“Stan”

Abios Italian Restaurant & Pizzeria
Price range: US$6 - US$10
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

Poor quality, only spice used; pepper( large amounts), not worth cost of gas. Chain restaurants better.Came from the New England area, used to good Italian red gravy , this isn't it.

There are newer reviews for Abios Italian Restaurant & Pizzeria

Reviewed 5 October 2013

I was first introduced to abio's pizza when I went to a friends house when I was a kid. It was there tradition to take home an abio large cheese extra cheese pizza every friday. They gave me a slice and I was hooked. The pizza is so awesome. The pizza sauce is what really sets it apart from the rest. Homemade dough and sauce. You order extra cheese and you actually get it. It's loaded. I eat there almost every week. Also an amazing salad bar. Lots of really high quality toppings and really good salad dressings. The owner "AL" is very friendly and has a great sense of humor. If I ever leave ocala this would be the only restaurant I would truly miss.

Reviewed 19 September 2013

Pizza, as we all know, is one of the most important foods on earth. OK . . . so about 4 months ago, as recent transplants from up North, "jones-ing" for good NY-style pizza, we stopped in for a couple slices. Al, the personable owner, explained to us that it's not cost-effective for him to offer up slices, but we should stop in for a pie some night. Some weeks later, taking into consideration Al's Bronx tradition and after reading the reviews here we thought we couldn't go wrong.

Wrong. The calzones and pasta may be first-rate, but as a pizza devotee used to the finer pies of 4 of the five boroughs of NYC, Abio's is, I'm afraid, nothing more than another unexceptional Florida pie. Disappointing. No offense intended, but I can only think that it appeals to those Florida natives that have never had the "pleasure" --or those who are willing to settle for something slightly better than Papa John's. At some point, we hope to find a Florida pie that has the oozing melted mozzarella, intensely flavorful sauce and slightly charred thin crust.

Until then, the quest continues.

Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

The reviews certainly show true for the quality, quantity, and value of this restaurant but the inside decor could use an updating. It has been in business for over 20 years and the interior looks to be the same age. Don't let the vibe throw you off the calzones we had were phenomenal, they smallest one was half the size of a 10" dinner plate. If I'm ever back in Ocala again, I will certainly give this "hole in the wall" another go.

Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

Delicious Italian food. Family loved the hand tossed pizza and I love my eggplant parmesan. The owner is the waiter and chef. The boothes are small

1  Thank Stephanie C