“Pleasantly Surprised”

Howard Johnson Inn - Ocala FL
Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Ocala
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I was skeptical to stay here because of some of the reviews I read, but since it was just for one night and the price was right, I decided to take a chance (the Thanksgiving holiday spiked the rates of other hotels in the area). I must say I was pleasantly surprised. I was able to check-in early, the manager on duty was very pleasant and accommodating, my room was very clean, and the bed was comfortable. Maybe I was reading old reviews but I found my stay to be more than acceptable. I do have one complaint though. I have an uncommon last name and apparently so does a male guest who regularly stays at Howard Johnson, sensitive information the employee found no problem in sharing with me. What if I was this man's wife and had no idea he was sneaking off to some hotel. Because of this gross violation of privacy, I gave 3 stars instead of 4.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Becky S, Guest Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Ocala FL, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2013

Thank you for your review. We are pleased that our staff was able to give you a clean, comfortable room at a great value over the Thanksgiving holiday. We know that many hotels are sold out over these days and we are glad that we could accommodate you. I apologize that our staff believed you to be related to, or married to another guest based on your last name. Although we try to keep guest information private, it sounds like your staff member mistook you for someone you were not and shared information they should not have. It is actually common to have families check in with different first names on the reservation but the same last name for the individual checking in. I will speak to our staff about trying to be more careful about disclosing any information that is needed. Thank you.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,550)

Reviewed 29 November 2013

My daughter and I stay at this hotel fairly often whenvisiting my grandchildren/great-grandchildren. The hotel is convenient and clean and the staff is friendly. We enjoy the continental breakfast, the hotel is quiet and has nice ammenities. This time was over a holiday and our room had only one towel and the hairdryer was broken, they also did not empty the trash. They gave us more towels from the desk and said they would report the dryer.This was the only time I had anything to complain about and would recommend the hotel as a comfortable, reasonable priced motel.

Room Tip: All the rooms we have stayed in have been non-smoking on the first floor, AC's work well and you...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Becky S, Public Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Ocala FL, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2013

Thank you for your review. I m so pleased that you and your family have had great stays with us in the past. I apologize that this time there was a broken hairdryer and that the trash was not emptied. We always try to ensure a clean and well-maintained hotel as you know from your prior stays. We hope that next time we can make up for it by giving you excellent service and a sparkling clean room. Thank you again.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I really enjoyed my stay here. The staff is very friendly and helpful, the room was roomy and clean, and the food at the restaurant was delicious. I highly recommend Howard Johnson Inn, Ocala, Florida!

1  Thank ajmacdonaldjr
Becky S, Guest Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Ocala FL, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Aj, thank you for your review of our Howard Johnson Inn of Ocala. We are so pleased that you enjoyed the clean rooms and friendly staff. We are especially happy that you got to try to food at the restaurant. It is a simple menu but it is good old home cooking with hearty portions, reasonable prices, and fast service. There is also room service too ;)

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Cedric is an amazing manager!!! The rooms are clean the staff is helpful and breakfast is awesome!!!! Rooms are fairly priced and they allow pets with a deposit! The hot tub is amazing after a long day!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank vap1115
Becky S, Guest Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Ocala FL, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Thank you for your review of our Howard Johnson Inn of Ocala. We are so pleased that you and your fuzzy friend enjoyed your time with us. As you mentioned, we are pet friendly and will allow pets in designated rooms with a fee. We are also pleased that you got a chance to enjoy the hot tub. Our heated outdoor pool and hot tub are some of our favorite guest amenities. Thank you again and we hope to see you next time!

Reviewed 19 November 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Reviewed 16 November 2013

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel. Staff at check-in were friendly and professional. The facility seemed well maintained and my room was large and clean. There was a good work area and the wifi worked well, but the area would be much better with a table lamp and more electrical outlets. The bed was comfortable and the room quiet. The free breakfast was about average. Overall, this hotel offers very good value for the traveler.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Becky S, Guest Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Ocala FL, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Arthur, thank you so much for your review of our Howard Johnson of Ocala hotel! We are very pleased that you felt that you got good value for your money. We always try to make every guest feel this way with the free wi-fi, the free breakfast, the clean rooms and the friendly service, all of which you noted. We will keep your comment about the electrical outlets in mind. This is a problem that we are looking into ways to solve and we hope to have a solution in the next year. Thank you!