“Clean rooms, pleasant staff.”

Howard Johnson Inn - Ocala FL
Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Ocala
GreenLeadersGold level
Fairfield, Illinois
“Clean rooms, pleasant staff.”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

The room was clean, everything worked. The kids enjoyed the pool and mini golf. The breakfast was ok, but most of the items that were served for an additional charge are offered as part of the continental breakfast at other chains. The major negative of our stay at this property is that our party booked 3 rooms for a week with queen beds. Upon check in we were told that the rooms were not all together, so instead of the property making sure our rooms were together to begin with, they downgraded us to double beds in order for all the rooms to be near each other. When someone books multiple rooms in ADVANCE!! it should be obvious that the rooms should be booked together nd not all over the property. Whether the rooms are booked directly through the hotel or through a third party. Other than that it was a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: clean rooms good service
2 Thank Timothy D
Michelle B, Public Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Ocala FL, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thank you, Timothy, for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your clean room, our outdoor swimming pool and the mini golf course! I do apologize that we couldn't accommodate your three queen rooms side by side. As your reservation came over through Expedia on the day of arrival, we weren't able to place the three rooms together. Room placement is based upon availability and we were quite full making it impossible for us to find three queen rooms next to each other. We did our best to accommodate your wishes to be close. I am sorry you were disappointed! As we do have a full restaurant on-site, we don't provide a full, hot complimentary breakfast; however, we do offer a deluxe continental breakfast for our guests at no charge. Should you come back to the Ocala area, please let us know in advance! We would love the opportunity to provide you with an exceptional stay! Thanks again for the feedback. We greatly appreciate it.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Cedric and Abby were wonderful. They were very professional and so very friendly. I would stay here again just for the stellar customer service I received. The room was adequately furnished, but does need to be remodeled.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Michelle B, Public Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Ocala FL, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you, Josie, for the great review of our Howard Johnson Inn Ocala! I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the exceptional service provided by Cedric and Abby. We have a wonderful staff here at our hotel. We truly believe in going above and beyond for each and every guest. Our general manager has read your review and thanks you for the suggestions. They take great pride in consistently updating, renovating and refreshing all of our guest rooms with fresh paint, new bedding, 40" Flat Screen TVs and more. Please do visit us again soon!
Dunnellon, Florida
Reviewed 9 June 2014

It's been a while since I've stayed at a motel like this, an older place where each individual room door opens to the outside. I expected a scuzzy place, with dirty carpet and a big dent in the middle of the mattress. I was wrong. My room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The staff I met were all nice. I avoided the free breakfast after the first day because the place was crowded, with many little ones heading to the theme parks, and the choices didn't thrill me, neither did eating from styrofoam plates. You can order made-to-order eggs and meat for an additional charge. They also serve dinner, but the place is small, nothing like the Howard Johnson's restaurants of my childhood. It looked like no one ate there for dinner, and most of the staff were outside smoking or otherwise waiting for customers to appear. Be aware that Howard Johnson's also asks people who stay there to submit reviews, which are then submitted to TripAdvisor, one suspects only positive reviews are passed along. I choose to post through my own TripAdvisor account. Other than the restaurant and the questionable reviews, I would recommend this as a clean and affordable place to stay.

Green Features: I saw a bin for plastic recycling at the base of the stairs, not sure if they recycle paper. The notice about saving towels from being washed was on the shower curtain bar way over my head, i couldn't read it.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Michelle B, Public Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Ocala FL, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thank you, Shelby, for a great review of our Howard Johnson Inn Ocala! We take our guests' feedback very seriously and use it as an opportunity to improve upon our service and product. We appreciate it! We want each guest to leave having had an excellent experience with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your clean room and comfy bed. We take great pride in maintaining our hotel rooms and grounds. I am sorry that you found our breakfast area to be a bit crowded. We do have busy times which does sometimes cause our breakfast area to be a bit crowded. Howard Johnson requests that you review your stays in order for each hotel to improve and to ensure an excellent stay experience. You may chose to post anywhere you wish! Again, we greatly appreciate it. We hope to see you again upon your next trip to the Ocala, Florida area. We are within close proximity to the Orlando attractions and minutes from Silver Springs State Park and Wild Waters...a convenient stopping point for many.
Odessa, Florida
Reviewed 8 June 2014

First off the staff from Cedric who we thought was security was a great help he came to our room at 10:30pm to help us get our laptop and tablet on the wi-fi he was very patient and walked us through the steps.Eddie who checked us in called us as we were on our way to the hotel to see how our trip was going which we have never had any other hotel check on our drive to the hotel once we got their the check in was smooth and fast.The rooms were very clean.We stayed 2 nights and enjoyed both of them the food from the hotel was just as good as going out to eat.

We found out when we went to check out that Cedric was the manager and when he checked us out he made sure we enjoyed our stay and hopes we would return to stay there if we came back to town we assured him we would stay there again without a second thought.

I would like to add we have stayed at some 5 star hotels and would not go back not because I was not happy with the room it was because of the staff I like people to be themselves and not act like what they are doing is a job the staff at this hotel treats you like friends and are willing to help with anything you need down to printing out directions for you if you need to get somewhere around town.Thanks for 2 great days away from home

Room Tip: We stayed to the side of the pool much quieter
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you, James, for the excellent review of our Howard Johnson Inn Ocala! I am pleased to hear that Cedric provided you with exceptional service during your stay. As you mentioned, we do have an on-site restaurant which provides for full, cook-to-order meals throughout the day. Ask us about our daily specials next time you're in town! No request is too great for our guests here at Howard Johnson Ocala. We want you to leave feeling completely satisfied! Thank you for taking a moment to review us. We greatly appreciate feedback from our guests! I hope we see you again soon.
Interlachen, Florida
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This hotel stay was one of the best i have had. Special thanks to Cedric who made me feel at home from the moment I checked in and through my whole stay. The whole staff was friendly and the cheeseburgers are the best and the cook is awesome sorry i do not remember her name. I was only supposed to be here for a week but am staying 2 weeks now because of the service and staff and school requirements. Would definitely recommend this hotel to all my family and friends. Once again thank you to all the staff. You made my stay one to remember.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Michelle B, Public Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Inn - Ocala FL, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Michele, thank you for such a wonderful review of our Howard Johnson Inn Ocala! Cedric and all of our staff members go above and beyond to make each guest feel as though they're at home. We thank you for the compliments. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed the burgers! Thanks for being a loyal guest. Our frequent guests truly are the key to our success. Please visit us again soon! Thank you.