“Manatees everywhere!”

Blue Spring State Park
Ranked #1 of 15 things to do in Orange City
More attraction details
Owner description: State park offering a variety of outdoor activities including camping, hiking, canoeing, fishing, boating, snorkeling and scuba diving.
Minneapolis
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Manatees everywhere!”
Reviewed 14 December 2010

Out in the middle of central Florida is the tiny Blue Spring State Park. Its nothing to look at as you approach. Even inside the park you wonder what the natural environs have to offer. Then you walk to the boardwalk and you see - millions of manatees. We'll not millions, but probably a hundred. The manatees only winter in the park, so they are not around in summer. You get a really up close look at them - assuming they are swimming on the boardwalk side of the spring - which they were! The only negative - and it was actually a BIG negative - was how noisy the kids were. I had at least two different scout groups, of more than 50 kids each, pass me on the boardwalk. The kids were yelling, running, and stamping on the boardwalk . Fortunately the manatees didn't seem to care.

7 Thank Jessica022

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Palm Bay, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Great bike trail just outside the gate”
Reviewed 6 December 2010

Blue Springs park is pretty nice, with plenty of manatees to see. The highlight for me was getting on the paved trail just outside the gates to Blue Springs. We did pay the $6 car fee to enter the park and see the manatees, walk around, park the car. Then my friend and I got on our bikes (we brought our gate receipt so as not to get charged to re-enter) and rode out to the trailhead just across the road.

We went 3.3 miles (beautiful scenery, winding road, slight slopes) to Lake Beresford. Once there, we went around the 2 mile trail, used the clean/new looking facilities then headed back to Blue Springs (3.3 miles). What a GREAT, fun, relaxing, and healthy way to spend the afternoon! There are benches and trash cans throughout this trail if you need to stop and rest. We had a blast!

14 Thank Sunset318
Dover, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“You are not allowed to swim with the manatees :(”
Reviewed 30 November 2010

This place is really neat. We drove in from Daytona Beach and it was well worth it. We saw over 20 manatee and we were told that there were 44 in the official count that morning. The great thing about this place is that it is a refuge and not a zoo. The wife and I had never seen manatees in the wild before, so at first we were quoted saying, "Is that a manatee or a log?" FYI, they were manatees. There was other wildlife there too; we saw a turtle, a few different kinds of birds and lots of fish. The park ranger said there are normally alligators there as well, but it was not sunny enough for them the day we were there. I wish I could remember the name of the ranger we talked to, because she was very nice and willing to talk to us about all the local wildlife. We visited the gift shop and we were pleased to find out that some of the ceramics that they sell there are made by a local elderly woman. We thought the "standing manatee" was neat, and we wanted to support her and not China, so we purchased one. Next time we are in Daytona or the surrounding area we will be visiting.

5 Thank Clemgreg30
Chicago
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Wonderful and serene”
Reviewed 1 September 2010

I've visited pretty much every place in Florida between Pensacola and Key West, and Blue Spring is probably my favorite (although Bahia Honda is up there too). I went on a day in January to attend Orange City's Manatee Fest and, hopefully, see some manatees. I lucked out-- the spring was full of them. It was a beautiful experience, and I really appreciated the quality of the other visitors. It was so quiet, with whispered appreciation of the park and its wildlife. Definitely a refreshing escape from the normal tourist grind. I can see why the manatees love it here.

1 Thank Steve60640
Florida
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Loved it”
Reviewed 29 August 2010

The Blue Springs are blue and beautiful. Crystal clear and still. Perfect for kids since there is a beach area and very shallow by the beach. The staff is strict about the rules which was a good thing. So, the park is very well maintained and supervised. There is a boardwalk that takes you to the River. It is about a 1/4 mi. Very scenic and beautiful.

2 Thank onlinescoop