“NO, NO & NO”

Stay Suites of America
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Orange Park
Reviewed 16 December 2013

WJTV in Jacksonville,Florida hold auctions several times a yr. I bided on this as a local get away weekend for me & the Husband to get away from babysitting the grandchildren every weekend. I wasn't expecting it to be a 4* place, but I wasn't expecting what we got either. Certificate was for 2 double beds in a smoking room. 1st room was 1 bed, non-smoking. 2nd room was the same. We were given a 3rd room to try. It was a double bed, non-smoking. One bed was unmade as if someone had just left the room & smelled badly. By this time I was livid. I called the office & questioned what would make her think to give us a used room? The reply was weak at best. I was told the computer showed the room vacant... meanwhile the place is being used as actual living quarters. People were sitting on the walk ways with chairs as if on their front porch.
We ended up leaving, as we both felt uncomfortable from the start. If your intent is to find a cheap 'dump' to flop at long term and comfort nor cleanliness is not an issue for you, then this is your place. After 45 mins running around from room to room, we went home to cleanliness and comfort. I will let the TV station know the real deal on this hotel. The company should not be receiving a tax brake donating something so undesirable.

Room Tip: There is no good rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tired6
Kyle L, Manager at Stay Suites of America, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

In reviewing the information and going back on our files - all of the contributors of WJCT who purchased stays during the auction - stayed for the two night purchased stay. We are sorry we did not meet with your expection and we are sad our other guests bother you but, this is an Extended Stay Hotel. (Sometime our guests will sit outside and enjoy the sunshine.)

Reviewed 3 October 2013

I was referred to the hotel by a local gas station employee who told me it was a "little rundown",but the prices were reasonable.After getting lost several times I finally arrived to a very nice young lady whose name I believe was Amanda.From the very start she made me feel as though my comfort was important.She just kept smiling even when the phone wouldn't stop ringing.When I finally made it to my room I discovered I had lost my phone.In a panic I called down to the desk to see if I left it down there.Unfortunately it wasn't there,so i went back down to the lobby to see if maybe I dropped it when I came in.Amanda saw me looking around and asked if I had lost something.When I told her about my phone she offered to help me look.I told her I didn't want to take her away from her job.She told me,"A happy guest is a repeat guest."We looked and looked but were unable to find it.Then Amanda said she could call my phone and see if we could locate it.Long story short it was just outside the front door.If it weren't for Amanda I would have been lost.She went beyond what I would consider good customer service.She made me feel special,not just another paying customer.I would stay here again and really can't believe some of these reviews.I only wish there was a "Amanda" in the hotels in NYC.

P.S. Give her a raise!

Room Tip: Ask for Amanda.She knows what she's doing.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Alfredo G
Reviewed 19 September 2013 via mobile

i read all the bad reveiws and well when i sayed here it really qas not that bad . the rooms for desent for the price and the staffqas fairly nice. i would stay here again if i was ever in orange park again. its not as bad as everyone is saying. i felt right at home

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Do not stay at this place.When we walked in the room smelled of mold. The carpet was wet and dirty. There was no water one of the burners didnt work on the stove. The bed spreads were so dirty. That we didnt even want to sit on them let alone sleep on them (gross). Way too much to list. When we told them we were leaving ,which was the same day we checked in. They refused to give us our $25 dollars back. The deposit they make everyone pay that you get back after they check the room. They wouldnt check the room. But trust me we couldn't of done anything to that room that wasn't already done to it. So they wouldnt give it back. They still owe us $25 They are rude. I would rather stay in a cardboard box than ever stay there and i highly recommend no one else wasting there time. Theres way too many nice hotels and motels to waste your time on this one

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Sillywilly73
Kyle L, Manager at Stay Suites of America, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2013

Dear Sillywilly73,
I apologize that we were unable to provide for your needs in a satisfactory manor. I can assure you that the hotel does in fact have water and I do not know why the burner did not work at that time. We do have a full maintenance staff on hand that would have been more than willing to address all your needs, although I do understand that sometimes you might just want a refund. In the case of the deposit, we do have 42 hours to return that, which is posted in the lobby, although it generally never takes that long. I do want to return that deposit to you promptly, but in order to do that I would need you to contact the Front Office at 904-264-4616. Again I apologize for your discomfort and inconvenience.

Kyle, Assistant General Manager

Reviewed 27 June 2013

We were moving to Florida and needed a place to stay until we decided where we were going to settle down. This was a cheap option that had a kitchen. The good things about this place is that it is cheap, has a kitchen, plenty of parking, and has a grocery store right next door. For the most part, the front desk staff were rude except for LeVedra. She is the only one there with any customer service skills. The entire room was dirty. The carpet turned your socks and feet black after one minute of walking around, and they won't shampoo the carpet unless you've been there at least one week. It had been so long since the carpet was cleaned, it didn't make that big of a difference anyways. The bedspreads hadn't been cleaned in who knows how long. The sheets were never changed by housekeeping, they only pulled them up and made the beds. And forget about vacuuming.

The kitchen was taken over by cockroaches at night. So gross. And last but not least, the bedbugs. My 5 year old son was waking up with bites on him, so I searched his bed and sure enough the boxspring was completely infested. This was at about 10:45pm, right before the office was closing, so it was apparently a big deal for them to give us another room that night because they had to leave. I have twin infant girls that were sleeping in a pack and play, and after we had already left, we found that their pack and play was also infested with bedbugs. Fantastic.

This hotel has a bunch of great reviews all around March and April 2013 because there was a sign in the front office saying whoever left a POSITIVE review would be entered into a contest for a $100 gift card. If you have to solicit positive reviews, you're doing something wrong. Instead of paying people to say things about you, why don't you invest some money into cleaning the place and getting some pest control. Then maybe people will want to say good things on their own.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else or sleep in your car.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Christie M
Reviewed 15 June 2013

I need to leave for an emergency and had two days left on my weekly stay I was given some bs about reverting back to daily rate and having to owe them money or not recieving a refund and letting my days roll out while I was not occupying the room. The carpet was disgusting, they don't actually clean the bathrooms the just use a mr clean magic eraser to take out the black spots of the tub. We never actually got our room cleaned on our day of the week she just brought us towels which we could have gotten ourselves we had to ask her to vaccum. The front desk staff is just alright one of them has an attitude problem, the other is a loud and obnoxious and frankly rude, and the other is a smart mouth who basically rolls her eyes when people come in but I guess everyone has their day. They don't wash the bed spreads. The window leaked in one room and in the other the carpet was fine until they decided "shampoo". It wasn't the worst (considering my review sounds like it) but they need to improve on cleanliness and staff. I have been in there twice when people want a refund after viewing there room.

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank truthwilsetufree
Reviewed 14 April 2013

The staff is absolutely the best of any hotel I have ever stayed at. They are very accomodating, friendly and eager to please their guests. Courtney, LaVedra, Tiffany and Kyle at the front desk treat you like family...They made my stay here memorable, I will highly recommend this hotel over any other in Orange Park and surrounding area...

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orange Park
1 mi away
Best Western Southside Hotel & Suites
Days Inn Orange Park/Jacksonville
Red Roof Inn Jacksonville - Orange Park
Red Roof Inn Jacksonville - Oran...
#102 of 134 in Jacksonville
Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville Orange Park
1 mi away
Fairfield Inn Jacksonville Orange Park
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Orange Park

Been to Stay Suites of America? Share your experiences!