The Club Continental Suites
  • Breakfast included
Great 4.5/5
Good 3.5/5
Average 3/5
All reviewsthe riverold floridathe main housetennis courtsspanish mosshidden treasurefabulous weddingold mansionstep back in timegrounds are gorgeousniece's weddingcookie cuttermaster bedroomceiling fanjacksonville areathe ground floorking bed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Spent July 4th at the River Suites at Club Continental and had such a fun time! The fireworks were just off our balcony making it the best venue in town! There were lots of activities for all ages planned on the property for the holiday. Rain chased us inside for a while, but it cleared in time for fireworks. Our stay included a wonderful breakfast the next morning before re-entry into the real world. Beautiful, historic grounds ... worthy of a visit!

Room Tip: River Suites all face the St Johns River
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2012

I ended up unexpectedly needing a pet friendly room near the emergency veterinary hospital in Orange Park when my dog was scheduled for an early morning MRI the day after his scheduled visit to the neurologist. The only other pet friendly hotels were not terribly nice and not in the best area. This hotel was exactly what we needed during a very stressful time.

The room was on the first floor in the Riverview Suites. There were a few steps down, but I was able to park close and there was plenty of beautifully landscaped grass nearby. When I say waterfront, I mean that the St John's river could not have been more than twenty feet in from of the sliding glass doors and ground level balcony in our room. It was so beautiful and peaceful looking out at the water. It was surprisingly private because the river is so large and the building is set up such that no one in the other rooms can see in. Despite the fact that there was a wedding that night (and the wedding party was staying in the same building), it was very quite - I heard nothing through the walls.

The room had a small refrigerator, a microwave and dishes, silverware and glasses. This was hugely helpful since my dog could not be left alone. I stayed in the room all afternoon with him and read a book looking at the river occasionally out the sliding doors, and microwaved dinner from the nearby SuperTarget. I was so grateful that we had a bright and peaceful room since we were spending so much time there.

The room did not smell like pets nor was it overly perfumed. It was indistinguishable to me from a "non-pet" room except for a few residual spots in the carpet. The only reason that I don't give the hotel a 5 (I would give it a 4 1/2 but I don't know how to mark 1/2 a circle) is because the bathroom wasn't the cleanest. There was someone else's hair in the tub (and not just a strand - it was in several places). It really bothers me if a tub isn't clean because it makes me wonder where else housekeeping cut corners... the bed? I had to just put it out of my head so I could stay because we really had no better choice and I really liked the room otherwise.

Room Tip: I would definitely ask to stay right in the river in the River View building.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2012

I'll start by saying we stayed here because I was in a wedding being held here, which is apparently the primary reason this place is in business. There were probably three different ones on the weekend we stayed here. The setting is picturesque: huge stately oak trees, spectacular river views, gorgeous old buildings. During the week they also serve as a private dinner club as well.

We stayed in the English room in the main house. It is the only room that doesn't face the river. The main house is very old and the rooms are quaint and unique. With that comes some issues when trying to bring the place up to speed with modern conveniences. The in-room AC was cold but loud. The plumbing is old and temperamental, prepare to spend a fair amount of time adjusting the water temperature. We also had an opportunity to check out the Mexican room (larger room but tiny bathroom) and the rooms in the River Suites, which were basically a modern style hotel room set right on the River. All were comfortable but if I were staying here again I'd go for the River Suites.

If you are in the main house and there is a wedding, you will be part of the wedding whether you like it or not. The noise from downstairs celebrations is inescapable during the event, so don't plan on sleeping until the last wedding is over. On our stay, this was 10 pm but I'm told they can go later.

The River House pub is definitely worth checking out. The miniature bar in the 150 year old house is pretty cool, but there is a dock over the river too that was great to hang out on and drink.

The place is worth a stay, but know what you are signing up for. This isn't a Ritz or a deluxe resort. It's a historic home with accommodations. Ask before you book about events during your stay and choose your eom accordingly.

Room Tip: Avoid the main house if there is a wedding. These are the rooms with names like English, Mexican, French, etc. go for the separate river suites instead.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank YellowJacket26
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We stayed here two nights and celebrated the wedding of my brother. The good: the setting was very nice along the Saint Johns River with pretty live oaks, nice grounds, swimming pools and ivy covered manor house and pool house; the wedding was spectacular even though it had to be moved inside because of Tropical Storm Beryl, the buffet was delicious at the reception; the hotel served breakfast with egg casserole and coffee (!!) in spite of the power being knocked at overnight by Beryl. The bad: check in took over twenty minutes because there was only one lady waiting on guests (on Memorial Day weekend), our room was not as pictured on the Internet - the furniture was dated and needed an uplift; our floor was filthy (hardwood floor) and our feet left prints every where we walked; the room was musty and humid. We emptied the bucket to run the dehumidifier (the bucket was nasty with slime on the inside) and the dehumidifier was so noisy we couldn't run it; the ceiling fan had at least 1/2 an inch of dust on it. Our room was on the bottom floor of the adjacent building - a suite. Our son's room was in the manor house and he awoke with an allergic reaction to something. The only thing I know he is allergic to is cats and he had the red, puffy eyes like he'd been holding a cat all night. He looked much better after staying out of his room all the next day.

We enjoyed the swimming pool with our other family members but had to point out to the hotel staff the fire ants that were all around the shallow end of the pool and were biting the swimmers as they exited the pool. We ate lunch at the poolside grill and it took 50 minutes to get a grilled cheese sandwich for our daughter. That was including time to return the first one that was only two pieces of cheese between two slices of warm bread with potato salad that didn't even have any potatoes in it (yuck).

The bottom line is the setting was very nice. It would have been nice to attend the wedding there and then go stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the river suites. Don't stay on the bottom floor - maybe that's why it was so humid and musty and you hear the people walking around above you. Our son stayed in the manor house and had to listen to a wedding reception music/noise right below him into the late hours of the night. There were 2-3 weddings on that Saturday and so the Manor House stayed noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank thejaytees
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I'm sorry, I really expected a really romantic night... but I did not... Let start off by saying Beautiful Place... great views... when I made reservation I asked Hairy if there were any Big Events going on the night we planned to stay because we wanted a quiet night away we live in area so it was just a night away...Well 1st we loved to be able to check-in @ 2pm that was great... walked in our room smelled Bleach.... Strongly.. well thought atleast we know its clean ... looked as if they were setting up for something downstairs asked guess what a Wedding @ 5:30 =/ okay we can work through this so the grounds were limited due to we did not want to interrupt someones wedding so we stayed in room.. went out to eat @ OutBack... yummy well got back Wedding still going strong but was able to look around grounds... kids from Wedding were throwing glow sticks in coy ponds... which worried me I didnt want them hurt but kids will be kids then they threw them at us on purpose okay they are kids... went back to our room to find the DEAL BREAKER... we had sat our left overs on counter before walking out and come to find out ROACHES all over our leftover 50+ baby roaches all over the place!!! YUK!! got in the Jacuzzi tub a Orangy-Brown film covered the top in bubbles GROSS!!! okay so then we rented a movie that for some reason whoever designed thr oom put the 37in flat screen in-between the Bed and living room... so you couldn't see sitting on couch or on bed was looking from an angle... the the Bride apperently got upset or something they kept hitting our room door and we heard screaming well through the peep hole you saw the bride screaming off the balcony.. that lasted until about 1am... but who will complain about someone on the wedding night the thing that made this so bad was the ROACHES... I explained this to the front office.. owner was in there.. I explained I was not wanting my money back but was very disappointed... they said oh no we will help then saw we bought off Groupon and said all they could offer is 50% off our next stay which is what we paid for off groupon.com which personally you could on pay me to stay here again... simple as that just very very DISAPPOINTING >>>>

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple