“Worth a repeat visit”

The Club Continental Suites
Ranked #1 of 1 Orange Park B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 December 2013

The Club Continental in Jacksonville Florida is my very favorite place to stay when traveling for business or pleasure in that area. Be sure to make dining reservations and stay on property for dinner. Great place to meet clients!

Room Tip: The River Suites are right on the St Johns and you wake up to a stunning sunrise every morning
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 26 December 2013

That statement is not meant in a derogatory manner at all, in fact quite the contrary. We needed to stay in Orange Park for a special event involving my son, something we wanted to create a memory for, and that involves ensuring the entire trip is memorable for everyone. Knowing my wife and my mother-in-law are both eclectic interior designers, there is no conceivable solution that presents a positive memory for us staying at – what did a previous and ill-mannered patron suggest? – The Hampton? Hardly. We needed to find somewhere with character, and character is not merely defined aesthetically, but in the quality of the staff. This too cannot be defined in terms of how well one does their job alone, but also in the manner in which they carry out these tasks.

Is the Inn old? Yes. Does it show signs of age? Yes. Does that detract from the aesthetic qualities that create an ambiance the likes of which other chains could no sooner afford to design, much less possess a quantitative amount of creativity to master? No. It reminds me of a Tuscan Villa I once visited, and flooded my memories of that trip the entire stay at Club Continental. My wife and mother-in-law were in absolute heaven. The antiques, the patina made them both giddy, while my mother enjoyed reading about the history and traveling back in time to when she was small. My son just found the entire experience ‘cool’, and his friends all wanted to hang out here, where “it was awesome” instead of their cookie-cutter hotels.
Dust bunnies, dishwashing, murals… obviously some people have never traveled extensively through Europe as these are actually quite common, though I will say, I did not see any dust bunnies, nor did I find my dishes inadequately washed. The murals are to me, a throwback to a bygone day when the wealthy paid for their walls to be unique, instead of some boring wallpaper. I have stayed in rooms that were meant to be stark and clean, and for somewhere like NYC, perhaps that is the best way to go. My company find accommodations for me to stay in hotels that run 4 or 5 times the cost of a night at the Club Continental, and while nice, the rooms were less than memorable. There’s also a façade the staff engender in these places, a pretense of compassion and concern that masks their derision and vitriol. That is something I did not receive at the Club Continental in the slightest. Every member of the staff we interacted with went above and beyond to be courteous, and not because they had to, but I think they want to. Share a joke, a pleasantry, or just wish you a good day in passing, each went out of their way to create indelible memories.

This is after my having changed my reservations five or six times in a 36-hour period. Not once, did I ever feel as though I was an inconvenience, or that my requests were extraordinary. Upon departing, I left behind an item that has some measure of sentimental value to my wife. I called after returning home, and Harry, after realizing the housekeeping staff did in fact turn it in, sent it to me certified mail at his own expense, refusing to let me reimburse him. Integrity is not a word used often enough today, because so many fail to possess that quality it has become relegated to movie punch lines. The people have integrity, and that is more than enough for me to say, if I am ever within 100 miles of Orange Park and require accommodations, I am staying at Club Continental.

Room Tip: We stayed at both Riverside and English Room. If you want water view, then riverside. If you want...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We are local members of the club and have used the Club for ourselves as a couple, as solo, and for friends and family. They have rooms in the old mansion as well as more updated hotel suites on the riverfront. There is no better quiet riverfront oasis in the Jacksonville area. We've never been here on a big wedding night so I would probably want to check that out. I've stayed in pensions and B & Bs in Europe and find this to equate to moderately priced European places.

The sliding glass doors on the river have tint because they face East and this is florida!!! Watch silver sparkle across the river at sunrise and moonrise, watch for birds an occasional alligator or manatee. There is a lovely riverfront sidewalk just outside the grounds if you want more than leisurely strolls through the garden grounds. The pool has a summer food beverage service on the weekends. Meals at the club are impeccable. Have a free continental breakfast (muffins wonderful) or made to order omelet.

Finally, this location is far safer and quiet than the big name chains up by the interstate.

Room Tip: We prefer the riverfront rooms for scenery, size and quiet over the mansion.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 December 2013

We were planning on staying on Jacksonville Beach, a stop on the way from Gainesville to South Florida, visiting friends in Jacksonville. Our friends insisted we stay at the Club Continental, closer to them. What a perfect choice! I had never heard of it. It is a throwback to a lovely old Southern-style vacation home, built for the Palmolive heir back in the day. When we arrived, we were greeted by Harry, very friendly and welcoming. He talked about the grounds and personally took us to our room, The Continental, which has a river view and French doors that open onto a patio, fresh flowers on the table. The room is beautifully appointed, with a fabulous newly renovated bathroom, which is huge! Big Jacuzzi tub and a shower with three heads. Ahhh! All the rooms to have a similar feel, but, different decor. It truly has a feel of a large private home. There were two weddings going on, but, really did not interfere with the ambience. Unfortunately, the restaurant was not open, not open on the weekends, so, we ended up in a wonderful little pub on the property grounds, mostly locals, WHAT FUN! There is a complimentary breakfast everyday, both hot and cold choices, very good, big dining area that overlooks the river.
There is a lovely swimming pool, too chilly that day, but, nice to sit outside.
Jacksonville Beach is close, this is a perfect choice.
What a beautiful retreat! Should be on anyone's list as a must!

Room Tip: Continental was lovely, king bed, huge bathroom, river view. There are rooms directly on the river...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank saj1001
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

I was there for a family wedding. Everything was exquisite.. the setting for the wedding overlooking the St. John river was just charming. The grounds with the flowers and moss hanging from the trees reminded me of a bygone era.. the food was excellent.. our room, the Mediterranean suite was large, an incredible view and a
very comfy bed. The downside was the noise. Our wedding was on Friday so we stayed over until Sunday.. having driven a long way.. we thought we would relax for an extra day but that didn't happen. There was a luncheon on sat. afternoon and a wedding on Sat . night. Both events took over the hotel. There wasn't even dinner served on saturday night but after checking that was stated on their website but I was still disappointed.. The wedding was very noisy as it should be and by midnight the noise was over ..then around 2 a.m. the party people emerged from a little pub and the noise started all over again ..My point, I would definitely recommend a stay at the Club but make sure there is not a wedding, during the week would probably be splendid!!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank shg48
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I stayed for two nights with five friends from high school who met at Club Continental for a reunion of sorts. We loved the clean rooms right on the waterfront and the beautiful grounds. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming but the highlight was the amazing food! The complimentary breakfast was truly outstanding and beyond anything any of us have had anywhere else -- and a few of us are well-traveled to say the least. We also had dinner there one night and were just as pleased at the variety of the offerings and the delicious and lovely presentations. It was amazing. For the price, you could not find a better value, a more relaxed atmosphere and a more gracious place to be.

Room Tip: Ask to be on the water -- we loved being on the lower level right on the waterfront.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Wonderful weekend spent with friends attending a Jacksonville wedding.
Club Continental is a garden paradise beneath majestic oaks, over looking the St John's river,
with spacious, clean rooms, sumptuous meals, and a staff that makes you feel like royalty.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orange Park
Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville Orange Park
Fairfield Inn Jacksonville Orange Park
Best Western Southside Hotel & Suites
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Jacksonville
Days Inn Orange Park/Jacksonville
Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonville Orange Park

Been to The Club Continental Suites? Share your experiences!