The Club Continental Suites
Priceline
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe riverold floridathe main housetennis courtsspanish mosshidden treasurefabulous weddingold mansionstep back in timegrounds are gorgeousniece's weddingcookie cuttermaster bedroomceiling fanjacksonville areathe ground floorking bed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 August 2014

First I need to start by staying my review comes from a place of happiness as my wife and I held a beautiful wedding for our daughter this weekend. The grounds and venue were perfect so if you can afford it, I highly recommend this location. The staff who helped us plan and then coordinate everything on the special day were perfect. The 4 or 5 theme suites in the main hotel are very nice and worth the cost for the convenience as well as for the overall experience. Our room was in the river suites and while nice and comfortable aren't comparable in furnishing to the suites in the main building. For the price we paid (hotel rate and for the wedding itself) I would expect more especially with small things. One of those things is that updates are needed from a wireless network perspective. From my room I had no access and when I asked the hotel, I dont think the response I was given wasn't sufficient even when I stated I was father of the bride. Again don't include that piece in your mind while deciding to stay or using this location for a wedding. This issue can be fixed and I would be happy to stay again outside of any event.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed here for 9 days and really loved the area. This hotel is three story building with about 15 rooms and ours had a small kitchen: oven/microwave/fridge and few dishes. Don't expect to be able to cook much but works for quick meals. It has been recently renovated and the bathrooms are great. Rainshower head, whirlpool tubs and the thickest towels I have ever used. Our room has the wood look tile floors that were great. Each room has a great view of the St. John's river. At this point it's about a mile wide. I could watch the Manatees most days feeding on the bottom. Upper level rooms get a better view of them. The rooms have a narrow porch with rocking chairs to sit and see the river/ enjoy the view of: Navy helicopters flying over daily from the nearby base, noisy cigarette boat racing daily but on the other side of the river and few fishermen.
The Contintenal Club is the large old summer estate of the Palmolive soap company family (they are still owners) and has several buildings, this hotel, two original houses, two newer condo buildings and several outbuildings. The original house at north edge is called Winterbourne. it is a white frame villa c. 1870 and used for weddings. The restaurant is located in Miro Rio. This house was built by another family member c,1922 and looks like an Italian villa set in deep south.The dining room is part of "Club Continental" which still operates a country club. Breakfast is simple buffet most days with egg casserole dish and fruit, muffins. Three days week the breakfast is a wonderful menu including fancy eggs benedict. (Tue,Wed,Thurs) They serve dinner a few nights a week and lunch. Check website. Food was very good. Fish dishes excellent.
The club has 3 pools. One is a kiddy pool that is 20 inches deep fun for preschoolers. There is an old pool house that is open some afternoons serving beverages & snacks. They have 7 tennis courts. There is a hair salon but make reservations early. There is also a cute old original Golf house next-door to the hotel. It serves drinks and has a large deck/patio over the river and lovely place to relax- open in evenings till late. Live music some nights.
I did lots of walking along the river north of the hotel. The path is paved and goes about 2 miles along river with great views. It is great for strollers, joggers or bikers. You will walk past Moosehaven: 72 acres of Moose Lodge retirement village founded in 1922.
The landscaping is well maintained, shady and so lovely. The week I was there a Morgan Samuel Price—world-renowned plein air artist was holding her annual 3 day classes on the grounds.
There were six weddings this week as well. Sometimes two at once at each old houses. Small, large but beautiful location. "The Knot' ranked them as one best spots for outdoor weddings and I have to agree.

Room Tip: higher up rooms have better views. I like the rooms with kitchen to have a fridge. FYI NO elevator. 1st floor rooms are below ground level so stairs. Do have a ramp for 2nd floor handicap accessible.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 April 2014

This hotel is beautiful. It was a perfect location to attend a wedding at the same facility. We were on the 3rd floor and there is no elevator so be prepared for that. Our room overlooked the river which was so nice. The room was available to check in early and they were happy to accommodate us. I wish the pool had been heated because it was warm enough outside to swim, but the water was much too cold. On the weekends the breakfast is not as elaborate but it was sufficient with a delicious egg casserole.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2014

A must if your part of a wedding party. Quiet, serene, old world style. River suite was nice. No staffing for others. Seems catered events are the focus, not the "other guest". Good location for day tripping. St.Augustine, Golf Village, Jacksonville etc.

Room Tip: Top floor is nice,but no help with bags and no elevator .
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

We spent 4 days here and we were very happy with the quality of the accomodations. Our stay included their breakfast. This was worth it alone. The view of the grounds while enjoying a full breakfast with buffet option was the best way to start the day. We stayed in one of the rooms right on the water near their little pub. Amazing history in this facility. Palmolive Estate. We are heading back this February and will be staying another 3 days here.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends