“Business Trip” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Orange Park
Alachua, Florida
“Business Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

The staff here is very friendly and they always do their best. There are only two flaws about this place.

The first is it just that it needs an update. Things can only be patched and repaired so many times. I believe the time has come for an update for this place.

The second is the breakfast. There was nothing wrong with it, and I'm sure they are very limited because of the market they're targeting, but it's simply not quality. Better quality food would go a long way.

So, overall, if this is the right location for you, your budget, and you won't be working out of the room, it would do very nicely.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank NoComedyCentral

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Gainesville, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

I rarely stay at this type if property, arrived late, but needed accommodations for an early meeting the next morning. Staff was polite and courteous but the room I had was not clean, the AC did not function efficiently thereby allowing a musty scent to prevail. In short a thumbs down!

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jelsrtrav
Venice, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Convenient location near the interstate. Easy check-in. Clean room with good mattresses and pillows. Quiet. Breakfast was just average for a motel- nothing special. We will stay here again when we visit family inJacksonville.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Greenwich, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this location in order to visit family in town. Upon arrival I was told that my AARP discount was available and I was charged an extra $ 40.00 for a deposit to which I think was obscene. I booked the room online with a credit card and no mention was made at that time nor was any mention made at the time of check in. The breakfast bar was a joke the coffee was empty and the waffle batter was like water , when I made mention of it the girl said it wasn't her fault it was made the day before ? Then the waffle maker wasn't working to add to it. For a Marriott Brand it was a very disappointing stay and doubtful I'll return to this location although we visit Jax often.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gene H
Marietta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

I belong to a church organization that travels for our worship services from California to Florida, and the majority of our stays our at a branch of Marriott rather it be Fairfield, Courtyard, etc..

On Tuesday March 25th, a smaller than normal group (30) travelling from Atlanta arrived at the Fairfield Inn Orange Park. This particular trip was what we term as a turn around meaning that we would not need overnight accommodations, but simply wanted to rest for a few hours, shower, and dress for our church service.

Knowing this in advance, we contacted the hotel to find out if we could get a discounted rate. We were told by Kate Gora (Guest Service Manager) that there were coupons online that we could access and bring in to get a rate of 59.00. Very glad to hear this, as this trip was composed of unemployed students, we access the coupons, called the hotel THAT morning to double check everything (as we do normally) and were on our way.

Upon our arrival at the Fairfield in Orange Park, we presented two of the coupons, as was advised, and to our shock and dismay, were abruptly informed that the rate on the coupons were based upon availability, and they no longer had enough rooms to honor the rate as stated! I then asked to speak with the manager in hopes of her empathizing with the fact that we had travelled 6 hours, had actually been informed of the coupons by a member of her staff, and would only be there for a few hours.

Again, to my shock and dismay, I was referred to the place on the coupon which stated "Based On Availability", and was told that she now had a limited number of rooms, and it was beyond her power/authority to let any of them go at the 59.00 rate. Without displaying any concern for the lack of courtesy or customer service she was rendering in the name of Marriott, she informed me that there was no one over her that I could speak with, and that I was welcomed to call the 800 number for Marriott. The General Manager April Erstad, then walked away, left us standing in the lobby, and I never saw her again!

After being on the phone with corporate customer service back and forth for over and hour, to no avail, one of the adults we were traveling with was able to get a room under the Friends and Family Rate for not 59.00, but 54.00. How ironic that a lower rate was honored, after I was told by the General Manager that she could not do anything in regards to giving us the lower rate as stated on the coupon.

Managers are put in place to make good decisions, and to represent and uphold the good name of the company that employ them. Otherwise, everything could be computerized, for machines have no understanding, empathy, or compassion; just logic.

We will be travelling with two buses back to Jacksonville for a weekend event, and would rather sleep on the buses than to return to the Fairfield Orange Park Florida.

The Front Desk Attendant, whose name escapes me at this point, was the only person whose conduct should be applauded by Marriott.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
aerstad, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Jacksonville Orange Park, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Again, I apologize for the frustration you have encountered during your check in at the Fairfield Inn – Orange Park. Our hotel has the opportunity to offer very discounted rates with higher risks of booking in order to draw business into our property. This coupon is one of those booking tools that we offer. As stated on the coupon, it is "based on availability." On March 25, 2014 our Fairfield Inn was at sell out capacity which voids any coupons or discounted rates trying to be booked on that day. Therefore, rates reach blackout status which are then unable to sell. As explained to you during check in, this is why I was unable to honor this coupon rate that day of arrival. You had stated 2 weeks prior to arrival you had called and requested if the rate was available. Two weeks prior to arrival it was available but, hotel occupancy changes very quickly and at the time and day of arrival it resulted in the Coupon Rate being unavailable. You had also vocalized you called the morning of arrival to verify your reservations and the 2 reservations already booked under your other discounted rate were indeed ready. There was no mention of using a coupon at this time. I was only able to offer rates that were able to be booked which is where the regular rate came into play. I apologize I was unable to offer the requested rate.

Although, Friends and Family rates are limited to 2 rooms per employee, Marriott’s Customer Care was gracious enough to extend the offer to you since this is a program we are NOT allowed to book directly at the hotel level, though your contact declined to host such an offer.

Since you were involved in phone calls and had step away from me, I assumed our conversation was done. As always there are stipulations when it comes to using coupons. I recommend everyone to always read these prior to use so there is no confusion when trying to redeem them.
framingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

The wife and i stopped here on are way to orlando, we could not check in to our hotel in orlando till next day and had made great time driving down from the cold northeast. hotel location was great, right off highway, 295?. we had stopped at florida welcome center and picked up a coupon book and this hotel was in it, so we really were just looked for a great price. very surprised, i think we paid 55.00 for the night. check in was quick and easy, lobby was clean and fresh, area was safe and plenty of parking. the room had a large bed that was comfy, bathroom was clean and no smell of smoke anywere, there was a pool but we did not use it. i asked the hotel clerk about restaraunts in the area and she was great in directing us to one of are favorites right down the street. breakfast was your basic hotel b-fast with juice, eggs, bagels, bacon that i made a plate of and brought upstairs to my wife before we left. check out was easy and fast. we would stay with them again if we ever were in the area. no problems. nice place.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Homosassa, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

A nice hotel for the price, rooms are good sized, internet, decent pillows, coffee maker. The included breakfast was quite good -- can't go wrong with biscuits and gravy. The one problem was noise from the upstairs room. The soundproofing seemed very poor and the kids in the room were bouncing off the walls. Pretty good place, just don't go during a soccer tournament.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
aerstad, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Jacksonville Orange Park, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about our Fairfield Inn Jacksonville Orange Park.

You’re a valued customer; and everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel visit. We are always trying to improve our guest's experience and recently we added the biscuits and gravy to our breakfast menu. I am glad you enjoyed them. At check in, we always try to alert our guests if we are going to have a busy group weekend. I apologize they were noisy, but please call to the front desk immediately and we will rectify the situation to make sure your stay is always a pleasant one. We look forward to your return and hope to serve you again in the future.

APRIL ERSTAD

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Orange Park
Courtyard Jacksonville Orange Park
Days Inn Orange Park/Jacksonville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Jacksonville

Been to Fairfield Inn Jacksonville Orange Park? Share your experiences!