“Great experience, despite some cost cutting”
Review of Epcot Divequest

Epcot Divequest
More attraction details
Owner description: Swim with sharks - as long as you have an open water scuba certificate.
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I've done this quite a number of times, and it the actual diving experience is always wonderful. Being able to interact with visitors and family through the glass makes it a unique experience. All equipment is supplied and is ready for you when arrive at the tank. Although I had some ear clearing problems, one of the support divers was happy to stay with me until the problem resolved itself. Although you aren't allowed to touch any of the sea life, you can take any sharks teeth you may find on the bottom. You also also get a backstage tour of some animal enclosures, some of which connect directly to the areas seen by everybody else. i didn't have any problems booking this over the phone whilst at the resort.

I noticed some changes since my last visit in 2009 - the glass 'bubble' divers use to take turns entering has gone. Also the quality of the included souviners has decreased. You used a get a DiveQuest T-Shirt and a certificate - these has been replaced by a cheap looking string bag (which from the logos on it is used for other backstage tours) and a conservation badge (similar ones are available in Animal Kingdom for $1).

Afterwards, you can watch a video of your dive, which you can buy. If you ask in advance, you have your partner or friend join you for this. I bought the DVD for the first time - the video has segments highlighting each member of the group, so you will see more of yourself if you are in a small group of divers. They also film you interacting with people on the other side of the glass, so make sure you let your family know when you will be in the tank. The DVD only lasts around 15 minutes and my case, displayed the credits & faded out part way through a scene where we were watching a large grouper that had been coaxed out of its' lair - very annoying!.It's a shame they don't take any stills - these could easily be added as files on the DVD to print out later, or added to your Disney photopass.

5  Thank sahbuk

Reviewed 23 June 2013

It is not not easy to book as you have to call the reservations nr which at times has a waiting time of 30 mins. Eventually I tried late in the evening from my hotel and succeeded. For the true diving lover it is worth the effort and pretty high costs (approx 180 dollars). You get to do a dive in the big aquarium of Epcot (the living seas). The people in charge of this dive are super friendly and you get to wave at the guest (and family) at the other side of the window. This was my 3rd time and I still haven't had enough!

1  Thank Alexa t
Reviewed 28 May 2013

My girlfriend and I dove here over the memorial weekend. In my humble opinion this is a great experience for both seasoned and beginner divers. Crystal clear water, no current, and a wide variety of fish, rays, sharks, and 3 turtles. Like the Georgia aquarium dive, it would take several reef/wreck dives to see all beautiful creatures this place has to offer. Plus you get to interact with the people at the restaurant and touring the aquarium. Like so many others have stated you feel like part of the show. After a brief backstage tour and signing the wavier you suit up and jump in. The staff take care of everything. They are all very helpful and friendly. You play follow the leader for about 10 minutes so they can capture you on camera. After that you are free to go anywhere you wish (just not near the dolphin section). We had several very close encounters with some of the large sharks. I don’t care if they are conditioned or not, it made me a little nervous! Our dive lasted exactly 40 minutes and that was perfect. After the dive you get a nice hot shower with shampoo and soap provided. The cost is a little cheaper than the Georgia aquarium dive. And they say that all of it goes toward their conservation efforts. So not only do you get to be a part of Disney magic your contribution helps keep a lot of programs running. We bought the DVD ($35). And just like the one we have from the GA aquarium I will utilize a little PC skill and print several still images of our dive experience. Snip it Rocks! After the dive we walked around the world and had dinner in Italy. We could have stayed for the fireworks but decided to head back to our hotel in Daytona. If you are a certified diver looking for something a little different, I would highly recommend this.

6  Thank Dave A
Reviewed 15 May 2013

My wife and I did the Divequest dive earlier this year. It was our first dive after PADI Open Water certification. I held off reviewing it until I had more dives (13 now) to have a frame of reference to rate the experience. That said, this was an ideal first dive in that it is so easy and the staff walks you through everything. Their is a good variety of fish but they oversold the diversity with comments like, "You'll see more in this one dive than 20 in the ocean". I don't know what lame dive spots they were referring to but all my ocean dives were similar in variety of sea life. Although Disney has good quantity of fish in the tank, their coloring is not as beautiful as fish we saw in Hawaii or the Keys like heniochus butterfly, parrotfish, and moorish idols. Still to see a lot of fish plus turtles and sharks in one 45 minute dive makes for a good dive experience.

Booking the dive, however, was a complete pain in the butt. It took over 30 minutes on hold to make the reservation. Then over 40 minutes on hold to later add another person to our party. Then over 30 minutes on hold again when we had to reschedule. Over 1.5 hours on hold to arrange a 45 minute dive is pathetic!

Banning cameras is also completely unacceptable, IMHO, for such an over-priced dive. We did two 45 minute dives in the Gulf for $25 less than the one dive at DiveQuest, yet Disney wouldn't allow us to have a camera just so they can hawk their overpriced DVD of the dive afterwards.

In summary, I'm glad that we did it since it was a great experience overall. We had so much fun we considered doing it again but opted instead to dive the Sheridan Wreck in the Gulf of Mexico with Tanks-a-lot dive charters. Frankly, I'm glad we did too because the Sheridan wreck was an awesome dive and an awesome value compared to Disney. If I had to pick one over the other, I think I would recommend the Sheridan dive over Divequest.

5  Thank TheAviatorTim
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I did the snorkeling here last year, but my husband did the diving. Divers and snorkelers go at separate times. This time, we both did the diving, and we both agreed that we got more backstage time last year with being able to look at the dolphins and manatees, and learning more about what they do there with the feeding and things like that. Last year we felt we got more of an experience overall, where they really took the time with the guests.

THE ACTUAL DIVE - (no photography!)

You get about 40 min., and you see a lot in that time. I am a fairly new diver with just over a dozen dives under my belt, but many of the experienced divers said it was one the best dives they did because of all the sealife they were able to experience all at once. You can sit at the bottom and sharks will swim just a foot above your head. It's pretty cool to see all their rows of teeth so up close.

If you have family with you, they can watch you from the restaurant or the main viewing hall. The children get a kick out of watching and having the divers waving at them.

As stated under the restrictions on their website, they do not allow you to take your own camera, but don't fret. Like everything Disney, they monetize memories, too. They have a videographer to film the dive, and you can purchase it for $25-$35. Sorry, I don't remember the exact amount. The good thing is that all proceeds go to conservation efforts around the world.

ANOTHER COUPLE KIND OF GOT PLAYED (and shortchanged)

Another couple who was diving was pretty late. It turned out it wasn't their fault at all. They were scheduled for a later time, but Disney DiveQuest called them and convinced them to come in earlier and told them that way, we could all have a longer dive. It turned out they scrambled and busted their behinds to rush over for the earlier time (as they said) just so the DiveQuest people could finish their day earlier. We had a bottom time of 38 minutes. They advertise a bottom time of approximately 40 minutes. So no extra time. Of course I'm not complaining about not getting extra time (we got what we paid for), but I didn't think it was right what they did to the other couple with making them rearrange their own schedule and miss all of the backstage stuff so that the Disney staff could get out earlier. They didn't get all they paid for. Part of what they advertise with DiveQuest is the backstage tour. This is the exact wording from the DiveQuest page: "Epcot DiveQuest lasts 3 hours, and you’ll spend approximately 40 minutes on your actual dive." Not a very professional stunt. Other than that, the dive staff were very friendly and nice.

2  Thank CalJackJD