“Scuba-dooba-doo”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Epcot Divequest

Epcot Divequest
More attraction details
Owner description: Swim with sharks - as long as you have an open water scuba certificate.
St. Augustine, Florida
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Scuba-dooba-doo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

There is always those moments in life when you challenge yourself to try something different, out of the ordinary. For our most recent experience, we ventured to a place that is very common yet very uncommon. That place was Disney Divequest.

You may think, "yah sure, so what". First of all I have taken the family many times to the Disney parks and certainly enjoyed the amusement they have to offer. However this time, it was to try something rather different, something very special. In this case it was a chance to scuba dive in their mega-fish tank in EPCOT.

Now granted this is Disney and again you may be saying "yah sure, so what", this offers many things that you normally would not have diving in the ocean. Often times diving in the Caribbean is a crap shoot with visibility and animal life. With the EPCOT Divequest, the visibility is over 200 ft. and is full of aquatic life. Now the plant life (coral and such) is ala-Disney, the sea life is not. In fact, one of many exciting things you will get to see is a number of large sharks that swim along over head. Now forget all those spooky things you see during shark week, this is not the case as the dive master and guides will explain the real nature of these fish as well as the other marine life in the tank.

In your 40 minute dive, you will have the ability to scope out the sea turtles, rays etc. as they swim in harmony with the other divers. And as a diver in the tank you have the ability to interact at the various underwater windows with guests on the other side of the tank. Its pretty cool.

As I mentioned this is a 40 minute dive yet the tour is 3 hours. Prior to your dive your guide will show you how the tank operates, the care they provide to the marine life as well as the conservation effort that is in place helping marine life world wide. I was told that my "ticket" price was all donated to this conservation fund with Disney matching it. That is pretty cool in itself.

Once the dive is complete there is a place for shower with Disney providing towels, shampoo, soap and hair dryers. In fact, the only thing you really need for this dive is your scuba certification and that is it. They provide all of the equipment including the wet suit. If you want, you can also bring your own mask. I found the masks provided worked just fine.

Would I go again? Here is a confession, this is my second dive this year at EPCOT and is a testimony of the experience there. One thing to note, Disney Divequest is not something that is given much advertising. I found out about it via the website. If you do get to go, choose their earlier appointment (4:30pm). When you are done, you will have the remaining time in the park which is enough time to get something to eat and see the fire works at 9:00.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Bill H

Cardiff South Wales
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Epcot Shark Dive with My Grandaughter Tremendous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

I'm a 64 year old grandfather who dived in Epcot with my 11 year old Grandaughter, as you can imagine the closer the dive got the more nervous we got. What can I say the dive instructors were great sorted us out with our gear made our group of 8 relaxed with a good clear briefing of what we would do before and during the dive and were constantly watching us during the dive which lasted 42 minutes Thanks Guys.

My grand daughter had trouble equalising going down, no problem one of the instructors stayed with us and let her sort herself out. After being given a guided tour round the pool we were aloud to free dive were we wanted. The instructor had us follow him and kneel on the bottom it didn't take long until one of the sharks was circling round us after several times circling us the shark turned and swam straight towards us and passed just over our heads.

As this happened my Grandaughter suddenly took my hand in hers, loved the feeling of trust she had in me to just sit there when this shark looked huge coming towards us.We then proceeded to swim around the tank with the sharks until my Grandaughter saw her mum dad little sister and brother along with my wife at one of the observation windows. They have never seen her dive before there faces were a picture to see the looked so pleased and excited to see her dive an with sharks as well.

The dive although dearer than other dives I have done was worth every cent it cost and is a dive that we will never forget. We are going back to Orlando next year and intend to dive again with the sharks next time there will be 5 of us myself Grandaughter my other son and his 2 sons that will be a dive to remember

Visited May 2013
5 Thank AlexMurray005
Dania Beach, Florida
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Top notch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

This is a very well run, organized outing. The staff is great and the facility is amazing. The dive equipment fits well and is good working order. Frankly, I wasn't too excited about diving in an aquarium but it ended up being a lot of fun. My girlfriend on the other hand absolutely LOVED it!! She would go every year if she could.

Visited January 2013
3 Thank FLBill
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Disney Diving”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

Just dove at Disney's DiveQuest,Orlando Florida. At Epcot there is a huge tank that is filled with some of most beautiful sea life, sea turtles, sharks, rays etc and it is a blast to dive! I do it about once a year, I give it 4/5 stars because Disney makes you buy a park ticket for friends or family who want to go up to the observation deck. I don't think that's right! The dive quest experience though is pretty great, the first part of the dive is a short class and video and a tour of the facilities,then you go to the locker room and get your suit on, you are then led to the diving platform where your gear is. The first 10 min or so you follow the DM while they film you then your turned loose under close supervision. The Restaurant is there so there's lots of people watching you and you can interact through the glass. The animals are great, even the sharks seem to like the divers. That part is pretty amazing. Pros- Get to dive with some great wildlife, Nice way to get back in the water if you haven't dove for a while, Cons- a little pricey about 185$, family members have to buy a park ticket so they can watch you, the dive is only 30 min in the water.

Visited June 2013
4 Thank Gbluzy335
Essex, England
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Great experience, despite some cost cutting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

I've done this quite a number of times, and it the actual diving experience is always wonderful. Being able to interact with visitors and family through the glass makes it a unique experience. All equipment is supplied and is ready for you when arrive at the tank. Although I had some ear clearing problems, one of the support divers was happy to stay with me until the problem resolved itself. Although you aren't allowed to touch any of the sea life, you can take any sharks teeth you may find on the bottom. You also also get a backstage tour of some animal enclosures, some of which connect directly to the areas seen by everybody else. i didn't have any problems booking this over the phone whilst at the resort.

I noticed some changes since my last visit in 2009 - the glass 'bubble' divers use to take turns entering has gone. Also the quality of the included souviners has decreased. You used a get a DiveQuest T-Shirt and a certificate - these has been replaced by a cheap looking string bag (which from the logos on it is used for other backstage tours) and a conservation badge (similar ones are available in Animal Kingdom for $1).

Afterwards, you can watch a video of your dive, which you can buy. If you ask in advance, you have your partner or friend join you for this. I bought the DVD for the first time - the video has segments highlighting each member of the group, so you will see more of yourself if you are in a small group of divers. They also film you interacting with people on the other side of the glass, so make sure you let your family know when you will be in the tank. The DVD only lasts around 15 minutes and my case, displayed the credits & faded out part way through a scene where we were watching a large grouper that had been coaxed out of its' lair - very annoying!.It's a shame they don't take any stills - these could easily be added as files on the DVD to print out later, or added to your Disney photopass.

Visited May 2013