“What a Perfect Day”

Orlando Attractions Roundtrip Transfer
Ranked #3 of 424 things to do in Orlando
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Discovery Cove is a one-of-a kind experience where you can interact with bottlenose dolphins, feed tropical birds, play inches from a family of otters and even walk on the Grand Reef floor-all in one day. Between adventures, recharge with unlimited island fare and refreshments. With this all-inclusive experience your family can unwind, explore, learn, and create memories that will last a lifetime.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Newcastle
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“What a Perfect Day”
Reviewed 16 March 2010

27th February 2010
My husband, son, his partner and I visited Discovery Cove, we had made a mistake(our fault) with our booking but when we got there and explained the situation even though we thought we would need to pay for the whole thing again the staff could not have been more helpful or professional in putting everything right. Although Florida was experiencing one of the most freakish ever weather conditions for February (we had 2 bad days of weather and this was one of them) The staff made this one of the most enjoyable visits ever. The food was great, the site was clean, well stocked and had everything you could possibly want or need included in the price( which I thought wasnt too bad considering there are only limited numbers of visitors allowed and it must cost the part a fortune to run). As I didnt think I was going to get in that day my husband and I had to buy a swimsuit and bathing shorts - would you believe they were actually cheaper here than buying them in the local stores(Walmart/Publix/Target inc)
Now for the serious stuff, we purchased a Dolphin Encounter and in some previous reviews which i have read people have complained that they only got to interact with the Dolphins for less than 5 minutes. This is not right. We spent over 30 mins in there and it could have been longer if the weather hadnt been so bad! But people should remember the Dolphin Encounter is not only to interact with the Dolphins but is also an educational exercise into Conservation and their environment. The more questions you have the more enjoyment you obtain from your experience. The staff were very knowledgeable and were more than happy to answer any and all questions even if some of them sounded stupid. The staff want you to have a good time and all I can say is that we the Wilson clan had one of the best experiences of our life - thanks Discovery Cove you gave us a holiday to remember

4 Thank HappyTripper12

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Hands-Down....AWESOME!!!”
Reviewed 15 March 2010

Not enough space to tell you all the wonderful things about DC!! Honestly, one of the best things our family has EVER done! TO STOP during a Disney trip and spend a day in what seems like a tropical oasis smack dabb in the center of the state of Florida...is worth every penny!!

Top notch! From the moment you step thru the lobby....the day is just perfect! Plan to spend the entire day there!! Opens at 8am...GET THERE!!! You will be so glad you did! Start with a wonderful breakfast when you arrive. Eat a light snack/lunch at 11:00-11:30. Then go full throttle big meal at 2:30-3:00, right before they close the kitchen.... :). Pools close at 5:30, when the kick ya out. THen can take a shower and get dressed for a night of fun...wherever you want that to be! I think we left the park around 6:30. We squeezed out every moment of fun from DC!

Now please keep in mind...i NEVER pay full price for anything! It is a game for me to seek a deal. We only paid $174 for a dolphin pkg. (ONLY..isnt that funny??) HOW you ask?? Well for starters, we traveled at the end of Feb...lower rates to begin with. SO to start we were looking at $249 pp not $289. Then I went to the rate calendar on DC site and looked at diff days while we were going to be in Orlando. For whatever reason, the Saturday we were going to be in town was an additional $50 cheaper then the Tues/THurs we were originally thinking of going. SO we switched over to Saturday in our calendar of events. And THENNNNnnn... i spent a few hours googling "DC promo code" and found a promo code of TNC09...Rescue the Reef club....dropped the price to $174 and $25 of that was donated to the Rescue The Reef organization. happppy! :)

If you are traveling during a peak time...you may not have the luxury of being able to go the route we did financially. But I am here to tell you....you can't take your $ with ya when you die....and a day a Discovery Cove will stick with ya til your time comes. :)

4 Thank iluvmygiants
CT
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Very Overrated and Overpriced”
Reviewed 14 March 2010

My family and I didn't have a good time at all. Maybe it was just an off day at the place, but the staff seemed irritated with my family, and the food was surprisingly terrible (I was impressed with the food at SeaWorld on the previous day). I can see how many would be impressed with the dolphin swim, however I thought the dolphins looked kinda sad, and that distracted me... I will not return to Discovery Cove, but I will go back to SeaWorld.

8 Thank Dinosaur33
phoenix
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Could be a great park”
Reviewed 14 March 2010

Just got back from Discovery cove. We went to this park as our last "leaving the best for last" adventure. We were there on Friday March 12th. To start off with it was raining buckets and very cold. Although that may have dampened spirits we were told on the phone that it was no problem that they are use to rain and they would entertain us in the covered areas if it was to rainy and wait for it too not be a pour. Now I do not blame the park for mother nature and in fact I hate to write a negative review but first off when we got there to start us off with no one looked happy about working there. Lots of talking amongst just themselves and looking unhappy to be interupted except for the door man. First we were sent to a receptionist to check us in and she was suppose to I guess ask us for our credit card so we could run a tab in the park. Needless to say she did not and so I had to run back to my locker everytime I wanted to buy something. Small inconvenience. Then they were suppose to give us a "tour" but we were only shown the dolphin swim area and told where our lockers were and the time of our swim. Unfortuntly with the heavy rain and cold we did not even know about the other swim area on the other side until we decided to leave very early because it was our trip so why stay in the cold without much to do and be miserable. Actually there is a whole other park on the other side to swim at with a heated pool area and manta ray swim that we were sad to have missed. We then went to get our breakfast and went through the wrong door not knowing on the other side of the entrance (two areas to go in) the chef just looked at us like we had three eyes and never talked to us to tell us that the other side was the only one open at tht time for breakfast and that side would not open til later. So we figured it out of course and found the other door. It was a nice continental breakfast but there was no coffee set out (it was cold so really wanted warm at this point) so when we asked about a cup of coffee the lady looked like we were inconveniencing her and said it should be out there. When we said it was not she sharply found us a cup. Then we went for our safety briefing and the man who ran it told us it was an hour til our briefing, but our tour guide told us it was in 30 minutes so we decided we would wait and of course it was. He did not even smile or greet us and everyone there laughed pretty nervously and looked at each other and commented ont he staff. The dolphin swim was short and sweet like we expected it to be and loved that part although our poor gal was so cold she just kept shivering and I felt horrible for her. The trainer guy was informative but a little curt. I guess I would be too out in that cold but we realized as did many of the other guests that we "were not in Disney anymore". All in all very expensive for this type of treatment. I really feel that this attraction could be top notch and is beautiful and on a hot day in the summer this would be the prime get away. I just think they really need some motivational training and perhaps enjoy there job more so you do not feel like you just broke into their party unannounced. We basically spent a lot of money for a 2 hour trip and I might say bad us for not trying to look around more but really did not know until we were all dressed and warm that there was anymore. Hopefully they see this review and work on those issues. It has great potential.

Michigan
92 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 117 helpful votes
“Absolutely Wonderful from start to finish!!!”
Reviewed 10 March 2010

This was our second time to Discovery Cove. This time we took our two children ages 8 and 3. The 8 year old and myself did the dolphin swim...it was very kid friendly. They let her do everything the adults could do...They helped her swim out to deep water to ride the dolphin. They even let my husband and the 3 year old in with us for about 5 minutes so the 3 yr old could touch the dolphin and we could all have pictures together. It was very nice of them to do that. The instructors were very friendly and answered all our questions.
They have periodic snorkel lessons. Great for kids...child size masks and snorkels. My 8 yr old was scared at first of the fish but learned quickly they wouldn't hurt her. She learned to snorkel and enjoyed it. They let her wear a life jacket over her wet suit.
The pool is heated; They let the 3 yr old wear her own bathing suit with lifejacket in it. They had toys and noodles for the pool.
**Only thing I was upset with is how deep the "lazy river" is. It is about 8 feet deep and you cant even touch. Its very hard to do with kids. You can float but it doesn't go fast and you even get stuck in spots and have to swim...
The breakfast wasn't very good. The lunch was ok. It was nice for once to let the kids pick what they wanted without having to worry about if they were going to eat it or not. Snacks and pop throughout day were complimentary which was nice especially when kids got antsy.
I would definetly do it again.

1 Thank elizabethw001