Starting with the room - the bed was HUGE and very comfortable which we absolutely loved. Important when you've had such a long day on your feet! The bathroom was also huge, clean and well decorated. The view was average, we looked south and couldnt see anything of particular interest, but at least it wasn't facing a building site!
The living room isnt great. My boyfriend injured his back on the sofa - it's so old and was a sofa bed, so the bottom seat bit had failed down and back (assuming springs had gone), and there was a hard wooden bar along the bottom of the back cushions, so if you fell back into it, you hit the wooden bar which really hurt! I got my foot caught in the gap once which really hurt too.
Kitchen was just average. Pool was average. Pool bar had no atmosphere or personality.
Location - we thought it was easy walking distance to everything - how wrong we were!! It's a lot further than it looks, and when you've been on your feet in theme parks all day, it suddenly feels three times as long! The 'local grocery shop' at the end of the road on the corner to International drive had very little choice, and the cashier seems to just make up the prices in his head and be very rude. Using the i-ride trolly as actually really easy. And it's worth hopping on it to Bahama Breeze which was an amazing bar! Wish we'd stayed nearer there!!
The shuttle service was good, though we never ended up getting it back as you never know when you'll finish up. If you stay for the fireworks at disney, you miss it for sure. You then have to get a bus, then swap and find the other bus stop, then get another one. Then walk for a good 20mins to get to the hotel - trust me, when it's been a long day, it almost ruins everything. We felt so exhausted and drained because of the travelling around side of things. Such a shame.
BE WARNED! The worst part of our trip was the taxi service. They absolutely pray on tourists. We first got a cab from the airport taxi rank to the hotel. Only to find it cost us more than double what it should have and he took us in a loop right round the outside of international drive and then back through it to get to the hotel. During the week we asked the hotel to call us a cab to go to Universal Studios as we'd tried walking the day before and it took ages, we had awful blisters. The journey should have been $6-$8 excluding tip. He took us all over the place. When I finally started asking where he was going and telling him he was going the wrong way, he started shouting at us saying 'YES UNIVERSAL YES! I KNOW WAY I KNOW WAY UNIVERSAL SHHHH!'... then took us to sea world. We actually felt frightened. This was taxi company the hotel had called!!
We felt the hotel was overpriced for what it was, although we really did love the bed. When we go again, we'll be staying right on International Drive for a week and using i-ride trolley, then paying out for a disney hotel the second week as now we've done it, we belive it would be well worth it to use the disney transport.
All this said, please don't think we hated the holiday! We had an amazing time! The theme parks were fantastic, well worth every penny of the tickets. Bahama Breeze was the best bar we have ever been to in our lives and the cocktails are to die for, and the bars at Universal were great too - again, great cocktails!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This full-service, all-suite, newly renovated luxury boutique hotel is quaintly tucked in the heart of Orlando on Universal Blvd, just minutes from International Drive and close to Universal Studios. The Point Orlando Resort provides a tranquil Florida experience that will have you feeling right at home. The Studio, 1 Bedroom Suites and 2 Bedroom Suites offer a variety of comfortable accommodations to suit your needs while enjoying resort-style amenities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo, Agoda, TravelUp, Priceline, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Point Orlando Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Point Orlando Hotel Orlando
- The Point Hotel Orlando
- The Point Orlando Resort Florida