The last time we stayed at a Disney hotel, my kids were 3 and 1 and we stayed at the Boardwalk Resort. Hated the fact that we shared buses and boats with so many other resorts, plus the LONG walks to the room, especially at the cost per night ($250+) The kids have since fallen in love with both 101 Dalmations and Toy Story, and after I did the math on how many trips we could've had for the cost of our Boardwalk stay, we chose All-Star Movies for this trip (they are now 6 and 3.)
We checked in at 8am on a Sunday morning. Our room had not yet been assigned, so they issued our Key to the World cards so that we could go play in the parks and texted us several hours later with our room number. We were assigned to the Mighty Ducks, which we initially were upset about. (We had requested 101 Dalmations or Toy Story, but since these are considered "preferred location" rooms, they come with an added cost. We were hoping, since it was the off-season, that we'd get an upgrade.)
It turns out, we were in a great location. A bit of a walk to the bus stop (comparable to our walk at the Boardwalk Inn, but for about 1/3 of the price!), but not only did we pass 101 Dalmations every time we came and went, we were also just steps away from the quiet and often close-to-empty Duck Pond swimming pool. (We did swim at the Fantasia pool one day, but finding an umbrella table was MUCH easier at the Duck Pond Pool, and there were always a lot less people swimming there.)
Our room was clean and had been recently updated. The tile in the shower needed some regrouting, but otherwise, the room as a whole was fine. A bit lacking in table space (you have a small table, a nightstand with a clock, a telephone, and an ethernet connection on it, and a small counter by the sink), but you get what you pay for.
My 3 year old spilled something onto the sheets during an afternoon break one day. We mentioned it to the front desk as we left for the parks later that night, and even though we said we'd be gone for at least four hours (so there was no rush to deal with it), they said they'd change the sheets immediately. (And sure enough, they were fresh and clean when we got back.) Great service.
We stayed during the off season and only shared a bus with the other All-Star resorts two times; the rest of the time, we had dedicated bus service just for our resort. (When we stayed during the off season at the Boardwalk, we shared buses and boats with the Yacht and Beach Club and Swan and Dolphin, which meant getting from our hotel to the parks took a lot longer than it did this time around.) The only drawback is that the bus lines are set up in queues (not needed at the larger resorts) and aren't covered, so you are subjected to the elements. It didn't rain while we were there, but we would've liked a bit of respite from the sun beating down on us. Again, you get what you pay for, and the overhangs aren't worth the additional cost of a moderate or deluxe resort for our family.
My only "complaint" was when housekeeping knocked on our door when the Do Not Disturb sign was up. They had confused our room number with someone who had called needing something. It wasn't a big deal, as we were awake and just hanging out.
The food court can get crazy during peak hours, and since it was the off-season, some of the areas weren't always open. We only visited the food court once.
I have stayed at Pop Century in the first year that it was open, and find it to be overly large and crowded, even during the off-season. We'll have three kids during our next trip, so we'll either stay at the All-Stars again (kids under age 3 don't count toward the room limit of four people) or will likely end up staying at an off-site timeshare-type place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Imagine yourself sharing the spotlight with some of your favorite Disney friends, as you headline your very own all-star adventure. Stay at a Disney Resort hotel that salutes the legends of Disney films-from the dotted pups of 101 Dalmatians to the playful toys of Andy's Room- with whimsical, larger-than-life decor. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Southall Travel, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Disney's All-Star Movies Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Disney All Star Movie Resort
- Disneys All Star Movie Resort
- Disneys All Star Movies Resort
- All Star Hotel Disney
- Disney All Star Hotel
- Disney Movie Resort
- All Star Movie Resort Disney World
- Disney All Star Movies Resort
- Disney All Star Resort Orlando Florida
- Disneys All Star Movie Hotel