“Nice facilities, same old service”

Hyatt Regency Orlando
Ranked #26 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Nice facilities, same old service”
Reviewed 9 January 2012

This is the hotel with duck shaped soaps that your grandmother may have in her bathroom.

I like the new facilities, the new parking deck, and the architecture of the building. The elevators are quick, and the location is close to the convention center.

The parking is over-priced when resorts like Disney charge nothing for parking. This is not the only place where they over-charge. I ordered from Papa Ducks - their pizza joint- and they included the service charges for room service on the bill. It said on the collateral in the room that there were no service charges for items ordered from it. Room service left a table in the hall for over a day at the room across the hall. I complained about it, but management took no action.

The restaurant by the pool inside the hotel (Napa I think it was called) is delicious, and it has a great wine selection.

I like the television in the mirror in the bathroom.

The ducks were okay. This was my second visit to the property.

Room Tip: Upgrades are expensive options at this hotel.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (968)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Allegan, Michigan
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Let me first just say, I NEVER write reviews, but after my experience I couldn't help myself. There is no doubt that this hotel is incredibly nice and very upscale - but overpriced is an understatement. You'd think after paying so much for a room that there would be many included benefits. Wrong!
An additional "Service fee" is charged daily, which in my opinion just gets you wifi and access to the gym. I should mention that the price also includes complimentary shoe shining and 2 trolly tickets (but I don't get my shoes shined, and who wants to take a trolly?). With that, the wifi had a terrible signal and kept cutting in and out. Not beneficial for my work. Parking is also charged daily. Both of these fees add up in quite a hurry.
I also figured, "okay, classy upscale hotel, I'm sure they'll provide me with necessities at the front desk." Wrong again. I forgot to pack a hair brush, and had to pay $3 bucks for a measly pocket comb! Not a huge deal, but I mean - come on!
Along the same train of thought, I needed a microwave in my room. I was surprised they weren't already provided, and mistakenly thought that one would be provided for me free of charge. Nope. $20 bucks a day...for a microwave.
All in all, the negatives outweigh the positives with this place.Excessive charges at such a high class luxury hotel are beyond frustrating!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank sunny_marie19
Liverpool, UK
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We stayed at the Peabody for five nights over Christmas. This is a great property on International Drive, five minutes from Seaworld. We had booked a club level room via Expedia which worked out as £93 per night. Amazing as the room was fantastic on the 26th floor of the second tower with mirror to ceiling windows and even a TV integrated into the bathroom mirror!
On the 26th floor is the club lounge which gave us free breakfast from 0700- 1000, snacks from 1730 – 1930 and complementary deserts from 2030 – 2130. Also as a perk for club guests is free valet parking which should have been $22 per night- so quite a bargain!
Highlight at the Peabody is the march of the ducks to and from the duck palace and into the reception fountain. Led by the duck master in red and gold braid its quite a spectacle!
We ate Christmas Brunch- book well ahead as its full of locals and we had to wait of a cancelleation the week before. It’ s a fantastic array of foods. Napa restaurant and the B Line diner are also worth a visit.
In Rocks lounge and bar they have a fantastic duo playing soul music to set the atmosphere- chilled and sophisticated. A large pool is also available
Great staff- highly recomended

Room Tip: Go Club level room
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank merseydave
MarshallKelberman, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Orlando, responded to this review, 18 January 2012
Dear merseydave:

Thank you for selecting The Peabody Orlando for your holiday. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your Club Level experience and the fun of our daily duck march. Thank you, for your review, for your recommendation of our hotel, and for recognizing our great staff! I wish you the best in the New Year.

Mays Landing, New Jersey
Reviewed 8 January 2012

My wife and I were treated like royalty from the moment we arrived on the property. Our bellman was particularly helpful in explaning the view from our room, overlooking the pool from the 31st floor, and some of the highlights in Orlando. All staff were very friendly and helpful. The ducks provided a great diversion in our busy days. Eating in the B-Line was a special treat. The pancakes at breakfast were the best I have ever eaten. Pricey but worth it. All of the amenities of the hotel are first class.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Warren75:

I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your experiences at The Peabody Orlando and hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back. Thank you for your review.

Old Deer, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2012

This hotel was nothing special.Our room 21736 was covered in dust, I do not think the room was vacuumed during our 10 night stay. Had to ask for toilet paper,bottled water.(would not mind but when you are being charged a resort fee of ridiculous dollars per day this is unacceptable !) Would never stay there again. This hotel is more of a business travellers place but they are trying to dip into the tourist market too.On the last night of our stay my husband was approached by a hooker (04/01/12) asking if he was looking for a good time ! Disgrace for a top class hotel .Security staff or whoever monitors your monitors need to get a grip.I witnessed the aforementioned hooker entering the lifts at half hour intervals with different men while her friend was pacing the lobby area ,mobile phone in hand ! If your security staff were as vigilant as the valet staff in ripping you off for 22 bucks per day for valet parking then perhaps your resident hookers would dissapear ! I also left a recently purchased jacket in lobby area on our last night ( we were last to go to bed that night! ) .On inquiring at lost and found next day it had not been handed in .Would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kathrynAberdeen
Dear kathrynAberdeen:

I appreciate your feedback and want to assure you that your observations concern me. I regret any deficiencies in your guest room, but appreciate the opportunity to follow up with our Housekeeping team to ensure that our high standards are met. The safety and security of our guests is of our upmost importance. Our public areas are monitored by security patrols and cameras for unlawful activity 24/7. Any questionable activity is investigated. Thank you for sharing your observations with me. I will certainly make notes to consider increasing patrols over the holiday season next year.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 January 2012

I have wanted to stay at this hotel for a long while. Located in the perfect area of International Drive between Disney World and Universal Studios, it shines like a beacon from the highway. And if I thought the outside grounds were gorgeous the inside was even better.

We were promptly and courteously greeted by the staff to help in the check-in of the room. Self-parking was $12/day in an outside garage with a walkway with minor covering between this and the hotel (only major downside). Our room was spacious and amazing, complete with a TV inside the mirror of the bathroom. We wished there was an exhaust fan for the bathroom but this was a minor problem. Free wi-fi was a plus and I wish more high profile hotels would follow in their footsteps.

Bar and food, even in the 24-hour diner, was fantastic. Gym was clean with plenty of machines and weights available for use and an extremely helpful staff. The Peabody ducks were also adorable and put on quite the show...do not miss this if you go!

Overall this was a fantastic hotel and I would highly recommend everyone to try this out if able. They periodically have great specials and deals to bring down the cost and even throw in some extras (free self-parking). This is easily the best hotel I have ever stayed at in the Orlando area and I can't wait to return on future trips.

Room Tip: Periodically check the website as they frequently will run web only specials to bring down the costs
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Dear Daredevil3181:

I can’t wait to welcome you back to The Peabody Orlando! Thank you for your review and recommendation of our hotel. I am glad you had the time to experience many aspects of the hotel, including the fitness center which is a favorite spot of mine. See you soon!

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 5 January 2012

This was my first stay at any of the Peabody Hotels. It will not be my last. After several errors by Bookit.com, we were moved to the Peabody. Despite the busy New Year weekend and the crowds in town for the Carolina/Nebraska Capital One Bowl, the lines moved quickly and the service was great.

The rooms were also very nice. We were placed in a club suite where we had a wonderful view of the pool and of International Drive. Everything was clean and the cleaning staff was very friendly and accommodating.

Finally, the location is perfect. We were in walking distance to Miller's Ale House, Wal-greens, the Capital Grille, miniature golf, the convention center, and many other restaurants and activities.

It was a perfect stay and a great recovery from the poor service and incompetence of Bookit.com.

Room Tip: If you can, splurge on the Club Suite. It is very nice and the elevators are closer than some of the...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple