“Worst hotel experience ever!”

Hyatt Regency Orlando
Ranked #30 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 1 January 2013

It took 9 hours to check in at Peabody!
We visited the hotel on December 29 - 31. We had prepaid in full for 3 club level rooms at almost $300 per room. We were told that the rooms were not ready. This happened at 3pm. Eventually rooms were allocated but was not what we paid for. We got standard rooms. We were told it was the same as the club level and we would have all Club amenities. This was at 12:30am the next day. Management offered no comfort or compensation. When we entered the room it was smokey and we had to subject our children to that! The next day we were told that we do not have club privileges as we were not on club level. At this time I was furious and had to show the manager my receipt to show what we paid for. Valet was supposed to be free but we had to pay. Eventually the matter was cleared up but the manager never reimbursed the monies.
I travel all over the world and this hotel is by far the worst ever!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Richard T

Reviewed 1 January 2013

From the moment we checked in to leaving loved this hotel.The bedrooms are new and nice loved the television in the bathroom mirror.Also liked the lights that switch onto the floor when you get up during the night very handy.The pool area is really lovely and nice for small children.We had lunch at the pool and had no complaints.The staff were very friendly all of them.And can't forget the ducks we went along twice to see them as staying for 6days good fun.Lots of restaurants and bars within walking distance and trolley stops outside the hotel also free passes for this from the hotel. We had 1breakfast and that was lovely.Overall a perfect stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
MarshallKelberman, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2013

Dear surfsup2:

I am glad we had the opportunity to welcome you and your family to The Peabody Orlando. I appreciate your business and review of your hotel experiences. It’s nice to know that your small children enjoyed themselves and that they did not miss out on meeting our team of ducks. I look forward to seeing you again when your travel plans include Orlando.

Reviewed 31 December 2012

We stayed in August for 9 nights at the Peabody. This is a luxury and impressive hotel, a real 5 star hotel. Everything was great: The location on International Drive; The large and very luxury decorated room with one of the best beds I have ever slept in; The always friendly and helpful staff; Both pool areas. I wouldn’t recommend the hotel to families; it is more focused on business travellers and couples. Even though it is a very large hotel, the staff was very committed to their guests and they really tried to make our stay as wonderful as possible. We had such a pleasant time: I would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Dear Johanna62:

I am very pleased to read that everything was great during your visit at The Peabody Orlando, including the always friendly and helpful staff. Thank you for your review and recommendation of our hotel. We look forward to our next opportunity to make your return stay another wonderful experience.

Reviewed 30 December 2012

We stayed Nov 17th for a weekend with our 6 year old and it was great. Smooth check in, nice room and very friendly and helpful staff. Our son loved the duck soap! We enjoyed it so much that we came back 2 wks later for a night out alone without our son. This visit was terrible! I requested a room in the new tower when I booked online. We arrived at 3:15 and were told that a room in the new tower was not ready but one in the old tower was. We were told that it would only be 15 min, housekeeping would be done soon and they would call us when it was ready. After an hour we walked back up to the desk. The young man said that he would call to check on it. He continued assisting other clients as we sat directly in front of the registration desk where he could clearly see us still waiting. Finally after another hour and he informed us that the room was still not ready. He then tried to give me room in the old tower. I explained that we had been waiting for 2 hours for a room in the new tower. If I wanted the room in the old tower I would have taken it upon check in at 3:15! He suddenly found a room that was supposedly booked for another client that had not checked in yet. Eventually at 5:30 we got into a room on the 4th floor with a view of the roof! I spoke to a manager who apologized and explained that the young man was a new employee and he offered us a club level room but by this time we were already unpacked as we had dinner reservations. I feel that we should have been offered that room after the 1st hour of waiting with no communication from the guy at the registration desk! I really enjoyed our 1st visit but after the 2nd one I don't think that I will return. It is a shame that a Preferred Hotel has such poor service!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Nickni11

Dear Nickni11:

Thank you for your return business. I am very pleased to know that your initial stay was one that enticed you to visit us again. However, I regret learning that your most recent stay did not offer you the same experiences as your first visit. I value your feedback along with the opportunity to follow up with our front desk management team to ensure our check-in standards are met. I hope you will consider another visit as I am confident you will experience a warm and efficient welcome to The Peabody Orlando.

Reviewed 29 December 2012 via mobile

Across from Convention Center so the location is great. Excellent restaurants. I enjoyed the room both in layout and size. Lobby is too small and bar is too small to have meetings so that is drawback for business get togethers.

• Stayed: October 2012
MarshallKelberman, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2013

Dear rweis1d:

I appreciate hearing about your business stay with us. Along with Mallards Lobby Bar, we do have Rocks Bar, which is a popular location offering numerous sitting areas and overlooks our Grotto pool area. For business or pleasure, I hope you will find this suitable for an adult get together when you visit us again.

Reviewed 29 December 2012

First, let me state that I've stayed in various hotels along International Drive and Universal but none compare to The Peabody. I booked first time through hotwire and I had read a review from this hotel stating that customers from Hotwire where treated less than average. However, to my surprise we were greeted very proffesionally by Danielle and were even upgraded to a pool view! The first impression was this hotel is HUGE! There are lots of places to eat and many places to sit down and just people watch. Even though there are many floors, the most time we had to wait for an elevator was about 1 minute! We chose to self-park our vehicle on their parking garage, there is a fee for about $16 + tax. This is a decent price, however the walk to the garage was not so great. The side walk was very narrow and always busy, that occompanied by the cold winds at night did not make for a pleasant walk. However, that was our only complain. When we got to the room it was immaculate and the bed was very comfortable. They have some very nice features on the tv as well, we checked out using it. The sensor lights at night were very cool and the tv in the mirror was great! The water pressure was excellent in the spacious tub/shower. I would recomend this hotel to anyone planning to visit Orlando and am sure to book this hotel whenever I will return to Orlando.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank qbanchula04
MarshallKelberman, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2013

Dear qbanchula04:

I appreciate the opportunity to exceed your expectations during your recent visit to our area. I am pleased to read you describe The Peabody Orlando as the ‘best hotel in Orlando’ and that Danielle was a part of creating this experience. I will enjoy sharing your review with her and her team members. Feedback such as this inspires us all to continue achieving Service Excellence. I look forward to your return stay.

Reviewed 29 December 2012

While the property is quit nice, I have never seen such poor service from a hotel, high and low end. Every time we were at the reception counter, someone was complaining! It took them 30 mins to bring them our car and when we didn't tip them for such terrible service, the valet guy got angry. I will never stay at this hotel again and strongly recommend that you do not either.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Choprano

Dear Choprano:

I value your feedback on your experience at our hotel and want to assure that the situations described do not represent our standards of service. I am already following up with our management team and feel confident that any deficiencies will be corrected. I regret this experience and hope you will consider The Peabody Orlando for a future stay so that you may regain your confidence in our abilities to serve you.