“Not what I was expecting!”

Hyatt Regency Orlando
Ranked #27 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dallas, Texas
“Not what I was expecting!”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

This hotel is a conference hotel, Huge! Huge line to check in, the staff was really monotone and really just there to check in, not a very friendly service. First time in the hotel, they did not tell us the lay out of the hotel just pointed the direction of the room. We walked for awhile trying to find our room. Once we got our room, it smelled like an old smoking room. The smell was really strong though, we had to request to change rooms. The staff was fairly quick about the request, but they had to get approval from the manager on duty. I will point out that we were not there for a conference or for the parks...which it think this hotel is mostly for that. Overall i would return if was there for a conference but will not recommend for a couples retreat.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
HotelManager_Brian, Manager at Hyatt Regency Orlando, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear IHrtTraveling,

I appreciate your feedback on your recent to stay. We did not provide the expected level of service you should receive, and thank you for the chance to address it with our team.

Thank you for considering us for your future visits to Orlando.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (978)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We have been to this Hyatt (and Peabody before) several times. Each time we have had the pleasure of being served by Jackie in the Mallard bar. It is awesome she remembers us each time, even when it has been 10-12 months apart. She treats us as valued guests, maybe more like family. We book this hotel specially because of Jackie. We travel extensively and look forward to seeing our many helpers along the way that make our trips more like being home. Jackie does this for us. As long as she is with this hotel we will keep on coming! Thank you for having her. She is so kind and lovely! What a prize

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Louise F.

Thank you for recognizing Jackie! I look forward to sharing your review with her - we are very fortnuate to have such a dedicated team of service professionals, and I am pleased she was able to make your stay extra special.

Thank you too, for your continued support of our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back home again soon!

utah
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I just returned from a 4 night stay at this hotel. Stay was for a business convention. Lots of events going on... Megan Com (comic convention--HUGE), cheerleaders, Mary Kay ladies, and oil and petrochemical executives. Quite a diverse group.

Did not get off to a good start. As we were arriving on Saturday afternoon, the huge comic convention was also in full swing. Unfortunately, it seemed no one told the Orlando police and as parking filled, folks just stopped in the street. It took us nearly 2 hours to go the last mile to the hotel. Please get traffic control involved in these mega conventions. It shouldn't take longer to get to the hotel than it took to fly from Houston to Orlando...

We had functions during the day on Sunday, my husband had an early evening reception, we both had a dinner that night. We had not had our room cleaned when it was time to get cleaned up for the evening activities. We did track down our housecleaning employee and got fresh towels. But then she let herself in the room when my husband was completely and totally naked. NOT OKAY!!! Then someone tried to let themselves in when I was getting in the shower. Please encourage housekeeping to KNOCK and wait for an answer before using their pass key. We made arrangements for them to return after 7 which they did. (Tower 1, 19th floor--Sunday staff)

I will say the convention arrangements seemed very good. I attended events in both the Orchid room and the Regency Ballroom. More than adequate.

Spa time was relaxing. Julie and Luzhelena were very good, very professional. Only downside was the weight room is evidently above the facial area. Lots of loud drops. A few anxious seconds as I tried to discern if it was an earthquake...

Pool area was very nice. I spent an afternoon relaxing and it is a beautiful setting. Service was very good.

Concierge staff was very helpful with dinner and R&R plans during our downtime. Made sure we got the best discounts for an afternoon Epcot visit.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Jazzfan647,

Thank you for your thorough review. First, my sincerest apologies for the service you experienced from our housekeeping team; I will be following up with them in regards to these instances.
I was pleased to read you had an opportunity to enjoy some of our amenities throughout the hotel during your visit and appreciate your comments in relation to our meeting space.

I hope you will choose to stay at Hyatt Regency Orlando on your next visit to our city.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I was staying at this hotel while doing a trade show and found the service to be above and beyond. My business associate and I were carrying some cumbersome boxes to the show when the staff noticed and immediately got us help. The young man who helped us was smart and highly intelligent. I hope he goes far with his career.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Theo N.,

I very much appreciate your review and comments about our team & their service. We hope to see you again at Hyatt Regency Orlando whether it be for business or pleasure.

Regards,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Stayed at Hotel March 20-22. Also used the Hyatt at the Orlando Airport due to a 10 hour flight delay. Without the Hyatt and it's impeccable service our vacation would have really been ruined. They let us stay 3 extra hours in our room after our flight was delayed. At the Airport they actually held our luggage for us and without the wonderful atmosphere of their airport bar and the truly great service of their staff we really would have been irritated and miserable. I give credit to the Hyatt for making our vacation much more of a success than it would have been.

Stayed in the newer towers. Can't say enough about the rooms and the attention to detail. The TV in the bathroom mirror is a wonderful touch as you can watch it from the tub and what a beautiful big tub. You can tell everything in the room has been planned and designed with a careful attention to detail - there are motion sensors that control floor lighting when you get up at night to light your way to the bathroom, the drawers of the credenza slide in automatically, there is a safe, there are comfortable beds and pillows and coffee supplies albeit a big stingy on that front but they are there. The rooms are beautiful, the bathroom is beautiful and the hotel is really beautiful with wide hallways and fast elevators. I don't think there is anything that has been overlooked and staying in this hotel made the last leg of our vacation an outstanding pleasure that we will definitely remember.

The pools - they look to be the best at any of the hotels on International Drive. We discovered we had access to the upper terrace pool which is away from the larger, more crowded pool with the slides, sand etc that may appeal more to children. The upper terrace pool was also large, a little deeper, had a wonderful large hottub and was very pleasant and seemed to be more adult-oriented. Would have been nice if the pool bar was open for cocktails there as there was sufficient demand for them when I was at the pool and many other adults were disappointed they had to seek out beverages inside the hotel. It is a very beautiful pool area with even a smaller pool away from the main one and hot tub so there were lots of places to swim and enjoy oneself. The area was very clean and well taken care of and with the exception of limited services for drinks it was a great relaxing place to spend time.

The bar area - we spent time in the main bar near the registration desk and the service and drinks were great. They have a nice outdoor area as well overlooking the bigger, ground level pool which was nice to sit at. The sound at the bar was interesting at night - although the music was loud you could still have a good conversation as the music funnelled up through the main serving area and provided only background noise so you could actually still have a conversation and be heard. Seemed like a great sound system. Lots of video screens and places for privacy if you wanted them so once again everything designed with a lot of thought and creativity.

The service - had no problem at all checking in but we arrived mid-week so perhaps it was easier. We did read about the new tower where we wanted to stay and phoned in advance of our trip to ensure we were put in that tower and we were readily accommodated which was nice. Often staff would stop to offer us help if we looked lost or confused. Rather surprised how the staff went out of their way to assist us and anticipate our needs.

Room service - well of course it was expensive and after you add on the various charges to your order you end up paying double what you expect but to be fair it was quick and given what we ordered it went beyond our expectations. I ordered a fruit plate which would have fed 3 people and was really a delightful surprise. It was fast and the food was good and if you order room service you know it won't be economical so from that perspective you aren't shocked.

In all staying at the Hyatt and using their facilities made our vacation exceed expectations.

Room Tip: Stay in the newer tower for the great rooms and bathrooms. They are worth experiencing.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Debra E
Dear Debra E.,

Thank you for your review & for choosing two Hyatt properties during your recent visit to Orlando. I was delighted to read your review and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Well ,what can I say. Hyatt continues to deliver on all facets of guest services and personal attention. It starts at the entry way, instead of looking for complicated hard to read signage a pleasant gentleman in a suit and tie directs you to guest parking. Instead of a crowded concierge desk or someone handing you a directional one sheet, one of the 3 guest service personnel escorts you to the pool area.(which by the way is excellent)
Modern and chic lounges and lobby. One of the best locations in the convention center area. Easy walk to Pointe Orlando. This hotel is a true joy in a sea of overcrowded theme park madness.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
HRORLANDO, Manager at Hyatt Regency Orlando, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Tom,

We couldn't have said it better! It means a lot that you took the time to share it with everyone and we hope we can have a chance to host you again.

Brian C.
Leesburg, Georgia
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I had a week long stay in March 2014 for a business trip. I spent all day, every day inside the hotel and its enormous conference center which adjoins the hotel. It is great because you do not have to walk outside to get to the conference in case of inclement weather.
The good: The hotel is centrally located to everything. You can get out and walk for less than a mile to just about anything you need, in addition to great dining. Self parking is a bit far away from the hotel with luggage if you don't valet, but a very nice and prompt golf cart met me and they loaded my luggage and handled it all. The hotel is spotless! The lobby is huge, but everything you need is close. My room was one of the cleanest I ever stayed in. (And I have had some bad ones elsewhere.) Noise was not an issue at all. Beds are very comfy. I really can't say enough good about this place! The gym, pool and in-house dining are incredible. The staff was friendly and prompt. I have not had service this good since the Four Seasons in St. Louis.
The Bad: Unbelievably - nothing…Not one thing irritated me here. And I am picky!!! No foul odors or errant hairs in the bathroom. Even the elevator was fast and I never waited to get - to and from - the 21st floor! Amazing!!!
Verdict: A very great stay in Orlando for business - and I would say also for pleasure!

Room Tip: I stayed on the 21st floor and had a view over the tennis courts. The window will open slightly to a...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Wow! What a complimentary review. We certainly appreciate the time spent writing it and we hope we can have you back for business or pleasure!

Brian C.