“Duped in Orlando”

Ranked #1 of 2 Orlando B&B and Inns
San Antonio, Texas
“Duped in Orlando”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Watch which room you choose. I chose the standard room based on the photos posted online. It looked charming, unique and like a cool place to stay. What I got was an old 1 bedroom apartment with filthy, old carpet, crummy walls, tilted TV, smelly and old worn out furniture. Not antiques like the photos showed.
I understand a difference in standard and premium but again, what I had to stay in was in now way like the photos online for the "standard" room.
Outside was very nice between the houses, and I guess the other real houses most likely have the cool rooms with hardwood floors, nice antique furniture and charm. I was in a building not a house, made of cinder block. I was kept awake for a while from the room above me.
Breakfast was so-so.
Clerk was dreaming of another job.

Room Tip: Just make sure you understand what you are getting with a standard room!!!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank dcxpl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Turkish first
New Hartford, Ct
Reviewed 25 March 2014

This is a quaint, charming property. Very difficult to locate, even after reading the other reviews here on Trip Advisor and trying to take note of the hints. Our GPS took us to the wrong location, but the map feature on our iphone got us there. Staff was very helpful and accommodating, even allowing us to check in earlier than we had discussed. What a beautiful property! I only wish we'd had time to explore the different buildings and take advantage of the complimentary cocktail hour and breakfast.

We were in a small apartment in the Wellborn Building - 1 bedroom, living room, small kitchenette (no stove or range) and full bath. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in! The biggest drawback was the location. Located right next to a very noisy highway. The regular traffic noise wasn't too bad, but the constant emergency vehicle sirens was distracting, and the train horn blowing in the distance throughout the night didn't lend to a good night's sleep. If you're sensitive to light (as I am) make sure you take a sleep mask with you as the blinds do little to block the well-lit property.

Unfortunately, we had to leave too early to enjoy the included breakfast, and the office was not yet open (6:30) for us to properly check out, so we left the key in the room and called later to let them know we had left.

Would we go back? Yes, if it were in a different location...but since the owners are not likely to move the four beautiful buildings encompassing this property, returning won't be an option for us.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wendy S
San Diego, California
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We decided this place was so charming that we had to incorporate it into our wedding. We along with all of our family stayed here. It was hands down the worst wedding decision we made. Do NOT recommend at all. We chose our rooms in advance online and at check-in different family members got bumped to different rooms because they gave ours away. Quoted a certain deal in the beginning and charged something different at check-out. Management is rude and will avoid your calls if you have an issue. Out of the bride's room and the groom's- Tub was broken in one ... tub, ac, AND toilet broken in the other. My wedding dress was damp from the humidity in the room. Front desk just shrugged it all off. I was heartbroken that we paid a small fortune to rent out almost all of their rooms and got such bad service. And the quality was definitely not on par with the price tag. Right down the road we could've all gotten clean suites with working AC, an awesome view of lake eola, and even a hot tub and pool for less than we paid here. Tour the house, it's cute, but don't stay here. I really wish I could go back and do it over.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Mysti_R
Albany, New York
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Ok - so some of the reviews here were giving me second thoughts about staying here, which turned out to be stressing over nothing. There is a ramp between the front of the complex and the lake, but that should not bother you. The complex is focused inwards towards the courtyard, an oasis in downtown Orlando. I stayed in the apartment building, are really huge hotel suites. The art deco furnishings sealed the deal for me. The furnishings had some mileage on them (bar cabinet, dresser) but they are antiques, and the room was very clean. Coming from NY in February, I truly enjoyed eating breakfast on a porch in the courtyard, which was of a better quality than what you would get at a chain. The cocktail hour was quaint and I enjoyed it. Staying at a place like this makes traveling fun again. If you don't understand that I can't help you out. Either way, when I go back to Orlando I will be staying there again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank 311Geoff
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We made a reservation for this B&B and ended up in the Wellborn Suites because they "don't allow children in our houses." The Wellborn Suites are old apartments nicely refitted with 1950s furniture. They were clean and funky and functional, but not exactly what we expected. The photo of the jacuzzi tub is not at all representative of the room we got. I believe they do have THAT room, but don't think it is a good representation of the Suites in general. The two houses on the property at stunning and everything one would hope for-- beauty, antiques, pure loveliness. There is quite a bit of nearby highway noise. Landscaping is very nice and the two very, very old kitties are feeble but friendly and happy.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kitty H
Sebring, Florida, United States
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Let me say right off, we do like the Courtyard. The service is fantastic and it is clean. The food is good, the coffee is great. Just a few points on the rooms, specifically, room 103 in the Norment Parry Inn.

The official pictures online make this look like a king size bed. It is not. In reality it is just a full. Also, the pictures of the claw foot tub make it look huge. It is not, it's about like your standard home tub. In the bathroom there is also a shower. If you've ever taken shower on a cruise, it's about that size, tiny. Everything in the room creaks. The armoire seriously needs to screws put in it.

One other odd thing, all four room on the second floor share the same AC/Heat unit with only one thermostat. You better hope everyone has a similar temperament.

Having said all that, it's still a very quaint atmosphere. We love the cocktails at 6pm.

Room Tip: If two people are going to share a bed, go for the King size beds in the Dr. Phillips House.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tom B
Ottawa, ON Canada
Reviewed 1 February 2014

This is a gem. But to find that gem you have to be a bit like the miner and the gem cutter. You have to get past your first impressions.

It is most unfortunate that whoever designed the six lane freeway decided that an exit ramp was necessary just exactly where it now sits, because that massive concrete ramp imposes itself on you as you drive up this tiny little dead-end street to finally (and we got lost the first time) arrive at this delightful B&B.

A collection of four buildings comprises the B&B complexe. The buildings all have names but suffice it to say that it is easier to remember them as the White House, the Grey House, the Pink House and the Yellow House.

We got lost trying to find it. Our Hertz "NeverLost" didn't realize that the dead-end street the B&B is located on is cut off by that ramp I mentioned earlier, and its GPS locator had us on the other side of the ramp. Also it was "a dark and rainy night", so finally, notwithstanding previous urgings from the other person in the car, I stopped and asked a pedestrian if he knew the place. No such luck. So we called (wonderful things, cell phones) and the young man who answered the phone stayed on the line as we drove around the lake, down a couple of side streets, turned onto the dead end and arrived in front of the White House. He said we had arrived.

I was not at all sure we were going to like this. However it was late, and the room was pre-paid, and it would have been a pain to find somewhere else, so we relented and agreed we'd give it one night. The young man gave us our key, and then walked us to our room in the "Pink House" (a former apartment building in the Art Deco style - 1920's??). It was a medium-sized one bedroom apartment, Kitchenette, bathroom, bedroom, and living room. Very large for a vacation stay, moderately so if one had to live there. I fell asleep almost before my head hit the pillow and awoke the next morning refreshed. The water pressure in the shower was excellent, and there was no lack of hot water. We walked through the lovely gardens to the Grey House for an excellent continental breakfast, with egg strata. The coffee was excellent.

As for the freeway and ramp there is no denying them. They are THERE, IN YOUR FACE. But I did not hear any road noise, and for me that was the important part. Yes, you can look at the roadworks and gripe and complain, but inside it was lovely.

If you are looking for a modern hotel with pool and fitness center, do not come here. They don't exist and you will be disappointed.

All in all, I would recommend this B&B and would stay here again.

As I said at the beginning, you have to get past your first impressions.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple