“Amazing Breakfast at The Wave!”

The Wave...of American Flavors
Ranked #189 of 3,791 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: International, Healthy
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Wave...of American Flavors at Disney's Contemporary Resort is a casual restaurant serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. Here, you can enjoy American-style dishes with international flavors, healthy dining options and trendy cocktails.BreakfastChoose from a la carte breakfast options or a bountiful buffet and enjoy a delicious start to your day at The Wave...of American Flavors. The a la carte menu features traditional American breakfast fare, like egg dishes, Muesli and Omega Berry Smoothies. For a speedier dining experience, the breakfast buffet is sure to satisfy your appetite. Savor all-you-care-to-enjoy servings of breakfast favorites, including eggs Benedict, cheese grits, sweet potato pancakes, Mickey waffles, house-made granola and more.LunchFor lunch, light eaters can choose from chilled Laughing Bird citrus-marinated shrimp, lump crab-Florida rock shrimp cakes with cucumber tomato salsa, crispy salads, or a delicious vegetarian wrap with seasonal vegetables and fajita-seasoned tofu. And for the heartier eater, the menu includes a classic Reuben sandwich, and a bison burger served with salsa verde and a 3-cheese spread.DinnerEvenings bring distinctive dinners that combine American and world flavors, such as a sustainable fish selection paired with corn and edamame (soybean) stew and cilantro chutney, grilled beef tenderloin with shallot butter, potato gateau and summer ratatouille, or naturally raised, oven-roasted chicken with locally sourced seasonal vegetables.Refreshing BeveragesEnjoy the featured trendy cocktails for Guests 21 years of age or older, like the Mudslide Martini (Baileys® Irish Cream, vanilla vodka, Kahlua® liqueur and vanilla ice cream) or the Antioxidant Cocktail (wild berry vodka, black raspberry liqueur, acai and other juices). Delight in sparkling wines from Tasmania, Rieslings from South Australia, floral New Wave whites from Argentina, Pinot Gris from Oregon and Pinot Noirs from New Zealand, along with certified organic beers from Orlando Brewing Company.DessertsTop it all off with The Wave...of American Flavors' signature dessert trios. Choose from New York-style cheesecake with house-made seasonal fruit compote, white chocolate crème brulee with raspberry macaroon, olive oil-infused chocolate truffle mousse with salted caramel sauce and more!Whether you're seeking imaginative desserts, classic breakfast favorites or international fusion cuisine, this restaurant delivers a variety of delectable dining experiences. Walk through the brushed steel arch ""tunnel"" into The Wave...of American Flavors and find out what culinary treats await you!
North Carolina
“Amazing Breakfast at The Wave!”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We normally have breakfast on our last day at the Kona Cafe, but this trip we decided to opt to try the Wave partially out of convenience (we were staying in the Contemporary) and partially to break from tradition in favor of trying something new. We are all so very glad we did!

Even though it's rather difficult to think of passing up Tonga Toast or pineapple macadamia nut pancakes, I was really interested in a few of the menu items at the Wave. In particular, I wanted to see if the sweet potato pancakes were really as good as people reported or if they were just hype. Believe me now - there's no hype going on with those pancakes. They are fantastic and my wife's new favorite. Yes, they toppled the fabled pineapple macadamia pancakes in her book.

There are currently a few options at the Wave for breakfast. There is the option for a breakfast buffet and then there is an a la carte menu. My son and I chose to order from the menu and my wife went with the buffet. I did peruse the offerings on the breakfast buffet line before deciding to order from the menu and there were a lot of different choices. At $21.99, the cost isn't too bad and it certainly doesn't approach the price of the buffet at Chef Mickey's. However, I found that for the amount of food I eat, the cost of the buffet wasn't really going to be the best value for me. Or at least that's what I thought.

I ordered the spinach, tomato and feta omelet with breakfast potatoes and my son ordered the belgian waffle (which was huge AND Mickey shaped!) with bacon. I instantly regretted my decision when my wife returned from the buffet and tried her first spoonful of cheese grits. Her reaction (mind you, she's a Southern girl through and through) of "These are the best grits I've ever tasted!" sparked me to catch our waitress and order a side of the grits for myself. . . and for research and review purposes, of course! They were, in fact, also the best grits I've ever eaten as well. I knew they were going to be good when I watched the gooey cheese stretch from the bowl as my wife tasted her first spoonful. You know the stringy gooey cheesy stretch I'm talking about if you've ever lifted a piece of piping hot pizza from the tray to your plate. Yeah. . . that's what I'm talking about here. The buffet version had Tillamook cheddar and Nueske's smoked bacon bits mixed in already, but the side order I received not only had that, but another layer of cheese and bacon bits garnishing the top! It looked like an order of baked potato soup and I probably could've had just this serving and been more than full.

My omelet was gigantic. No kidding! It had to have contained four to five eggs at least. It was far more than I could have eaten even if this was the only item I'd ordered. The serving of breakfast potatoes (red potatoes) were great as was the omelet. There was no shortage of spinach (which was fresh), tomatoes or feta and it was very flavorful. However, I couldn't help but have entree envy with my wife's continued exclamations of "This is amazing! Try this!"

Ok, so now on to the breakfast buffet. The buffet had a selection of fresh fruit (berries, melons, grapes, pineapple) as well as other continental breakfast fair (croissants, chocolate croissants, pastries, whole grain breads, bagels, multi-grain muffins, hard boiled eggs, etc.) as well as steel cut oatmeal with toppings (brown sugar, raisins). There was a ham and cheese omelet offering as well as Eggs Benedict and scrambled eggs. Of course there were breakfast meats like bacon and sausage as well. The cheesy grits are also part of the buffet and I must add that they were just as fresh and just as delicious as the side item I ordered. However, the stars on the buffet were clearly the sweet potato pancakes, the waffles and bread pudding.

While these are smaller versions (in size) of the a la carte offerings, I'm sure they are every bit as delicious. I didn't see any place to order bread pudding as a side item so it might only be available on the buffet, and it was so good that it might just be worth the buffet to get this item in and of itself. It was just perfect bread pudding. It wasn't all mushy like it can get if it's got too much liquid. It was moist, but not too moist. The outer crust on the top was somewhat firm but not crispy. However, the texture of the bread that comprised the pudding was still intact. It was very fresh and it had some sauce to pour over it that took it to a new level! I only took a small taste of this as I was dealing with Mount Omelete on my own plate, but my wife insisted I had to try it. That was part of what contributed to entree envy. The sweet potato pancakes sealed the deal for me. They were simply amazing. They were so fluffy and moist and sweet that they really didn't need any syrup, but let me tell you that the honey pecan butter is not to be missed. These were the best pancakes I've had anywhere. They far outshines anything I've ever ordered at Kona Cafe and I used to love the glycemic carnival of Tonga Toast. I can only imagine that the full sized order of the sweet potato pancakes would be huge and more than enough to satisfy and fill you up.

My son's Belgian waffle was a huge Mickey shaped delight - crispy on the outside, warm and fluffy on the inside. It was more than enough for him. He opted to skip the syrup and use the berry compote that it was served with and he said it was the best waffle he'd ever eaten. Unlike my wife, the concept of sharing a bite for the purposes of research is not in his genetic composition. I didn't get to try these and my wife was too full to indulge a second trip to the buffet line to bring back a smaller version of this waffle. All I have to report on his breakfast is strictly anecdotal but he did say the waffle was fantastic as well as the bacon. The bacon was rather thick by Disney standards and was actually crisp.

Our server was great, too. We had excellent service here even though our server was clearly very busy - she had several tables. Even though the restaurant was very busy for our 9:30 reservation, we never had to wait for refills on water or coffee. Our server was very knowledgeable with the breakfast menu and I should have taken her suggestion of the sweet potato pancakes! Service here was excellent and very attentive!

The only downside to this restaurant is the ambiance. While it has a wave theme in the design elements of the chairs and ceiling tiles, it is pretty much a beige version of Le Cellier. There are no windows and the feeling is slightly claustrophobic to me. There's not much they can do about this because the location is in the old game room in the lobby of the contemporary. My wife and I discussed the decor and came to the conclusion that they could use a splash of some real color in order to improve the decor and ambiance.

We loved our experience at the Wave so much that, while at the table, I got on the My Disney Experience app and switched our breakfast ADR for an upcoming trip from Kona Cafe to the Wave. We had actually had this reservation for the past two or three trips to Disney, but always changed it at the last moment for the old standby at the Kona. We are all so glad we tried the Wave. It was excellent!

• Visited July 2014
4 Thank irunnoft

Richmond, VA
“Shockingly delicious Disney World restaurant”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Let me start by saying this was the best filet I've ever eaten anywhere. Period. The accompanying veggies were delicious, wonderful mashed potatoes and delicious bread. We were staying at the Contemporary Resort and wandered in without a reservation -- our wait was zero because we chose to sit at the bar. It was a treat watching the drinks roll out with the multi-colored light-up ice cubes. Our little one was breathless when her grilled cheese arrived decked out in rainbow bread. It has beautiful décor, including wavy glass, semi-circular small lounges lit in a blue and a Miami Beach club feel. Our favorite restaurant in Disney World -- and the only characters were our waiter/bartender!

• Visited July 2014
3 Thank featuremom
Bear, Delaware
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We picked this on a whim as our last night out during our June 2014 Disney vacation. We booked this just a few hours before we dined - a bit of a surprise as many restaurants on property were booked solid.

When we arrived we only had to wait a few minutes for our table. The room was modern and well-lit, with a modern feel. We were a bit put-off by the noise level in the room. We could barely hear our server and felt that some acoustic tiles would have been useful in the construction of the place. Eventually the noise tapered off as diners departed (we had a late reservation).

Our dinners were very tasty- my wife and I both enjoyed the lobster ravioli with shrimp and clams and our kids enjoyed their healthy kids meals. My organic beer flight was a nice addition. Everything had a fresh taste, making us forget we were at a theme park. The fact that they focused on organic and sustainable foods made us feel good on multiple levels.

Deserts were excellent as well- my wife enjoyed a sweet trio and I had an excellent cheese board (a nice choice, which at $15 I was surprised it was included on the Disney Dining Plan).

We'll be sure to return to the Wave the next time we visit Disney World.

6 Thank DadoTwins
Deerfield, New Hampshire
“Overpriced yuppie food”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Let's call it like it is. Overpriced yuppie food. Every dish has been specially created to make you feel good about eating it. You'll get one third the amount of food you will get in any non-Disney restaurant, and you will pay double.

My family is all about eating organic, non-GMO, and free range, etc... but these people take it to an extreme. The portion sizes are small. The prices are big. We ordered a "sharable" cheese plate for $16 and got a ridiculous little plate with three thumbnail-sized pieces of cheese and two tiny crackers. It was laughably tiny. We ate it, and it was good, but would not order it again.

The quality of the food was fine. They bring nice bread and butter to the table.

Our server was efficient, but lacked any kind of sense of humor.

My husband had a steak and liked it very much. My daughter had a dried up cheeseburger because it was just about the only thing on the kid's menu that a child would actually EAT in the real world. I had the Cobb Salad, and it was tiny and edible.

Don't get me wrong...it's a nice place. Very convenient if you are staying at the Contemporary. We are not strangers to nice restaurants, and we can appreciate fine dining with a conscience, but this restaurant just wasn't for us. I wish I had checked it out more before reserving there.

We would not go back.

1 Thank daynasu
Safety Harbor
“My favorite at WDW”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

The food was wonderful. Second time eating there and tried different things both times. The chef was very accommodating to my food allergy. One of the best restaurants in WDW and good prices. Already have my reservations for December there.

1 Thank Jill M