“WE DIDN'T GET OUR UNIT CHOICE . . . AND STILL HAD AN OUTSTANDING TIME . . .”

Sheraton Vistana Resort Villas- Lake Buena Vista
Ranked #69 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersGold level
Somers, CT
Reviewed 24 August 2004

It's important to keep an open mind. I read all the Trip Advisor reviews, and after we made our six-months-in-advance reservations, I sent an email requesting Cascades. I even reminded them again just before we left. At first, we were disappointed when we were assigned to Fountains, but as it turned out, we couldn't have been happier. We had a 2-bedroom villa. The two kids had their own bedroom and TV, so they were relatively independent. The kitchen had everything we needed to create a good breakfast at a reasonable cost to begin each day. The unit was about 1000 square feet and included two bathrooms and a washer/dryer. It was a short walk to a very enjoyable pool at Cascades. But after we explored a little, our favorite was the SuperPool at Spas. And they also had a huge and relaxing hot tub. We went after supper every evening. We accepted the offer to attend the time-share presentation, as they gave us a great deal on Universal tickets. The discussion was professional, personable, and without pressure. It had some very strong upsides, and we almost took it, but decided, cerebrally, that it just was too limiting for our vacation inclinations. We were there for nine days, and had plenty of time to look at the different sections. They were all very similar, and all had the potential for a great vacation. We took close looks at Cascades, Fountains, Lakes, Spas, and Falls, and we would have been happy in any of them. If you want Four Seasons luxury, this won't make you happy. But if you've got a family and you're looking for large accomodations that are clean, in a good location, within a well-maintained environment, and with family-friendly activities, this is an excellent choice. Here are a few tips: we reserved through Expedia and got a great price. We rented a car through E-Z Car Rental. Shuttle at airport and good prices, although the sign-in line was long and slow. We did non-Disney trips to Kennedy, Seaworld, Universal, and Silver Springs, and Orlando attractions like Titanic and Ripley's, so having control of our transportation made life less stressful. There are plenty of grocery stores within easy driving distance, so buying food is no problem. If we go back to Orlando, we'd stay at Vistana again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: January 2005
75  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (6,771)

Reviewed 20 August 2004

The title says it all. We own a 2 bedroom lock-off through a competator in Orlando. We had an efficiency to trade and needed at least a 1 bedroom. Using our Interval International membership, we found this two bedroom at Vistana. Trading an efficiency for a 2 bedroom was a "no brainer." That is, until I stumbled across the Trpadvisor web site and started reading the reviews. I tried to prepare my wife and two boys, ages 12 and 14, that you have to remember, we traded an efficiency for a 2 bedroom. They were not worried but they did not read what I read here.

As we drove in (drove from Maryland to St. Augustine for a night then here) we arrived at 2:00 p.m. and it was a mad house. I felt confident because I used the Diamond Lane (see Sheraton's web site) prior to leaving to preregister. The Diamond lane had 3 people in it, the regular check-in lanes had over 100! We got our keys and went over to pick up our "Welcome Package." It was there they asked us to set up the resort tour and sales presentation. We said no thank you. They asked why not, I said we already own and are not interested. They said OK and we never heard from them the rest of out stay.

As we drove to our unit, we did pass some older units. I do not know how they looked inside, but they looked older on the outside. I was nervous.

We found our Lakes building. It was newer on the outside and they were repainting the whole building as we drove up. Still nervous, I took the key and the elevator to the 4th (top) floor. WOW! WOW! What a gorgeous unit! Nice tiled foyer and kitchen area with washer and dryer (small) and full size refrigerator. Catherdral celings in the living area with ceiling fan and sky light. The view from the screened porch was of a lake. Furniture was fine, not worn or stained and the 2 bedrooms and bathrooms were sparking clean! The two person jetted tub in the master bedroom was great! Let me just say, the unit was perfect and all for the price of an efficiency trade!

The grounds were beautifully landscaped. Please rent a car or drive. The resort is huge! It is a short walk to your pool, but shop off-site at the Publix and take advantage of I-Drive. Also, it is a short drive 1 or 2 miles to Disney World, 3 or 4 miles to Sea Wolrd and Discovery Cove, and about 10 miles to Universal. A nice day trip to the beach is about an hour away to either Cocoa Beach or Daytona Beach. But, don't miss the pools at Vistana. We tried the Cascades pool, it was nice and big with a waterfall, but very crowded. We we mainly stayed at the Fountains pool that was near Lakes. It too was a lrge pool and food service was there if needed. Remember, if you don't like tourist prices, you can always bring your own food and drink. The ONLY time I was disappointed was when the bar at the Fountains pool closed at 11:00 p.m.

There are so many activites for the kids. My 12 year old son won a pool tournament which got him a free game of mini-golf. Most nights, they just wanted to go to the pool after a had day of visiting the parks.

Oh well, it was a great trip and if I ever get back there we always request Lakes 1931!!!

• Stayed: August 2004
30  Thank DriveOrFly
Bethlehem, PA
Reviewed 16 August 2004

Stayed 8/9-8/14. Had a great time. 2 bedroom villa was hugh. The master bedroom was about the size of an average hotel room and the 2nd bedroom was about the size of an inexpensive motel room. The combined living/dining room was very large and so was the full kitchen.

The pools were nice, and there seemed to be a pool within easy walking distance to most of the units in the resort.

We were there during the Hurricane, and the staff was exceptional. They provided frequent weather updates via voicemail.

The unit we stayed in was in the original section of the resort. The villa was up to date, not worn/dated amenities. While the outside did show a few signs of aging (rotten wood around a few windows), overall, the facitilies were quite nice. We all agree we'd stay there again next visit to Orlando.

14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 14 August 2004

My family and I are members of RCI and we stayed at Vistana for a week. It was the most pleasurable experience ever. The staff were the most helpful and friendliest I have have ever encountered in all of our travels. The rooms are spacious and very will planned. The resort itself offered numerous activities and facilities for adults and kids alike. I highly recommend it and it is not far at all for Disney World.

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Park Hills, MO
Reviewed 14 August 2004

We booked our trip through Travelocity and received an outstanding rate. We had checked out the resort on-line and were skeptical that what we would receive was what we were looking at. The 2 bedroom villa we reserved was in the "Palms" which we were told was one of the oldest in the resort. But we had no complaints - NONE! The resort was the best part about our entire vacation. We have already made arrangements to return. We highly recommend the Sheraton Vistana Resort.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Newark, NJ
Reviewed 12 August 2004

I stayed at the Cascades sections two bedroom villa for 2 weeks me, my husband , my daughter 6, and my infant baby boy 11 months. I absolutely loved the neatness of the rooms, how clean the pools where, the cleaning service was great, they came when they knew we where gone; the washer and dryer was a plus, can't forget to mention that all the parks and attractions where minutes away which was great. I'll definetly go and stay at this resort again with my family it was sooo beautiful and I'll definetly recomend it to friends and family.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Antonio, TX.
Reviewed 11 August 2004

Just returned from our FIRST EVER Family vacation and were so pleased! We went to the Resort on a Time-Share Presentation offer. The 90 minute presentation and $100 cash was worth going through for this resort. We paid a small amount to stay there and were in a fabulous 2 bed/2 bath villa. We were treated very kindly. The only complaint was some of the guest service people did not know their directions for the surrounding area of the resort. Kinda had to figure it all out on our own. Took advantage of the free photo session with the resort. Would not do that again. Fine photos but we paid over $50 for color printer pictures, not "real" photos. I do this all the time at home and hate how they stick on the glass when put in frames. But, I pay pennies for the copies, not $50.
Still would highly recommend the resort and hope to go back some day!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member