“The Good, The Bad and The Ugly”

Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort
Ranked #203 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
London
“The Good, The Bad and The Ugly”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I should disclose that my thoughts on this property are still very fresh since I'm still staying here partly way through an extended vacation - so there may be more to add to this review!

First off, the Good. As I have come to expect from Sheraton Hotels, the beds are amazing. Huge, comfortable and with crisp white linen that I've found few other chains can beat. The beds are the highlight of this hotel; unfortunately other aspects receive mixed notices. The rooms are large, and SPG status affords me a free upgrade to a pool view (I imagine the car park view would be very disappointing). But they skimp on the bathrooms; although the shower is great it's one of those tiny bathtubs that you couldn't use in a practical sense. The wash basin and mirror are also oddly across from the small bathroom in the entrance hallway. While this has some advantages of being able to brush your teeth while the toilet is occupied by your roommate, I can't help think it feels like a botch since they have tiny bathrooms.

A major flaw of the bedroom is the air conditioning, which goes off with the subtlety of a jet engine throughout the night. This is the one thing that I would warn friends about as I can't really understand how the hotel expects guests to sleep through the noise.

Service in the hotel is generally great. Convincingly smiley people who genuinely seem keen to ensure you have a great holiday. There's more sincerity here too than you'd get at the Sheraton in downtown San Francisco. The staff at Lake Buena Vista have been bitten by Disney.

Breakfast buffet is tasty and fresh, but not particularly extensive and at $15 is a bit overpriced. However, given the location of the hotel across the street from an IHOP, there are alternatives. Also on the subject of expensive, there's a mandatory 'resort fee' (whoever invented the concept needs shooting - this should all be in the price of the hotel stay!) - which covers things like parking and internet. Unfortunately the speed of the internet is so appalling that I often have to resort to using my own MiFi to get email, which is irritating as the non-optional resort fee should be providing a service I should be able to use.

The 'ugly' part of my review headline has to refer to the buildings themselves. Four slabs of unattractive tower blocks surround the pool area. Very concrete housing estate feel to whole place with unsightly common areas in need of a lick of paint. When I first checked in, a broken bar fridge had been abandoned outside my room with no apparent explanation, just adding to the ambiance of arrival.

I think, overall, this is a 3 star hotel with a couple of 4 star features and some 2 star infrastructure. The air conditioning needs replacing with something that doesn't keep guests away; the internet should be made usable and the common areas could do with a makeover and better lighting so you don't feel you're walking into a sink estate.

Room Tip: The hotel has four blocks, number 1 and 2 face the main street, 4 faces a strip mall next door and 3...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Gil R, Manager at Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Hello PeteJShaw,

I'm sorry I was not able to connect with you during your stay. We appreciate the valuable input that you have shared with us and will certainly address your comments with our entire team. Thank you for the detailed review on our resort and we hope to provide a better experience for you on your next trip to Orlando.

Resort Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Quito, Ecuador
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We booked this hotel for one night after a late flight and we were moving to Portofino next day.
We got here at 10pm. Check in was fast and our room was in the old part of this place.
Elevator was old, smelly and wet.
Our room was kind of decent at first sight.
When we where about to sleep, we checked the sheets first. Awful, dirty and full of hair!!
We called the front desk and they said they had no cleaning at night.
We asked at least for new sheets and they took 45 minutes to get them. Meanwhile, I was calling Expedia to get a refund and walk out of that place.
Seemed like no one ever vacuumed or cleaned the room. It even had empty bottles under the desk!
When I finally got a refund and got out of the hotel, the lady at the front desk didnt even apologized.
She just took the keys and never said Goodbye or anything.
May be a decent room for a family looking for a place with pool and near Disney, but trust me, THERE ARE A LOT OF BETTER PLACES IN ORLANDO.
Dirty place and bad staff. Avoid.

Room Tip: Check for cleanliness first! Please check the sheets...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LCMORENO
Dear LCMORENO,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at our resort. I'm sorry to hear that we did not live up to the high expectations that we are well known for. At your convenience, please connect with me personally so that we can discuss this matter in more detail. We do appreciate your constructive feedback and we certainly will review with our housekeeping team for corrective action. Once again my sincere apologies and I look forward to connecting with you soon.

407-550-1012
Saint Louis, Missouri, USA
Reviewed 22 October 2013

This property has seen its heydey, but short of razing it to the ground and building anew, Sheraton has done everything they can to make it a good place to stay while in Orlando. The pool area and staff are top-notch.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Anon R,

Although we're glad that you enjoyed our pool and staff, we're sorry that we did exceed your expectations as a resort. Most properties are not perfect by no means however we pride ourselves on providing exemplary service and memorable experiences. We truly appreciate your comments and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Sherwood Park
Reviewed 20 October 2013

My wife and I stayed here at the beginning of February 2013 while on vacation. We checked in late after a long day at Disney Magic Kingdom. The lobby was new and fresh and the staff were very friendly. We had a great sleep as the beds were comfortable.
The location was great as it is very close to the Disney World parks. I think we got good value for the quality of hotel this is. We walked around on the grounds and the pool area is beautiful. We will likely stay at this hotel the next time we are in Orlando area.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear bald_giraffe,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Sheraton LBVR. We appreciate the wonderful comments & pictures that you have shared with our Tripadvisor community. Thank you for your response and we hope to see you again in the near future!

Tamarac, Florida
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We had a great time at this hotel. The price was low and it was right next to Disney. You can walk to many different restaurants and gift shops. We even brought our dog. The room was clean and the staff was very friendly. Our room was poolside which was awesome because the pool was really pretty and in the morning with the sun shining made it even better. I suggest getting poolside because otherwise you have street side and there is nothing relaxing too look at. The pool was really fun. we went several times on the waterslide and we played pool basketball and volleyball. The pools are big so lots of fun for everyone. The bar/restaurant by the pool had really good food. I was impressed to see an organic beef hamburger for $12! In the lobby there is an area to buy snacks and treats. IT was really good! I would most defiantly stay here again.

my only complaint is that there was no fan in the bathroom to get the humidity out after a shower so the towels were always wet...but you can hang them outside on your balcony to dry which is what we did. Oh and the lighting for putting on makeup is a disaster.

Room Tip: Choose poolside. its pretty in the morning. If your worried about it being loud...well its not at...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear glutenfreegirl8,

Thank you for your recent contribution to Tripadvisor. We're so pleased that you had a great weekend stay at our resort and I will certainly share your positive feedback on the food to our culinary team. We truly appreciate your comments and we look forward to serving you in the near future!

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2013

For many of us from the UK, a trip to Florida and Disney World is a once in a life time opportunity and the cost is significant. One of the most important aspects of a trip, such as the one we took, is the quality of the accommodation. The Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort, by a very long way, exceeded our expectations. If it was possible I would have given them 7 Stars. From the moment we arrived after a 12 hour journey Michelle Mantor (sorry if that is spelt wrong Michelle) made us feel very welcome. Seeing that we had three children she immediately upgraded our room to give us two bunk beds and a whole lot more space. We really appreciated that. Throughout our stay at the Sheraton the staff were unfailingly kind and helpful. Every time we asked for iced water it was either bought to our room or freely given in the bar. One of the concierges (is that how you spell it) Jonathan made such an impact on my children that they were upset when he was not on duty. The swimming pool and hot tubs were excellent and we were delighted to find fresh clean towels available to use on a daily basis. Again my children were taken by the very friendly nature of one of the barman, Danny Nicholls. I cannot thank the hotel staff enough for making a very large contribution to what was by far our best family holiday ever. If you want somewhere good - no, great - to stay, I would highly recommend the Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort. A stones through from the Walt Disney World Resort.

Thank you again from Anthony, Michelle, Abygail, Izaiah and Yden (Nottingham, England)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank AnthonyAduhene
Dear AnthonyAduhene,

Thank you for the amazing review on the Sheraton LBVR. We truly appreciate the great feedback on our team and resort and we're glad that we exceeded your expectations during your stay. I've shared your comments with our entire team and will certainly recognize the associates that you mentioned in your review. Thank you once again for your review and we hope to be your hotel of choice on your next trip to Orlando!

Brazil
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

The hotel is perfect for business or vacation trip, for family or alone. Clean, the staff is friendly, and the infra structure is wonderful. The fitness center has updated equipment. I forgot my fitness garmin watch in the hotel, and I realize when I got Brazil. I call to the hotel and they Found it. I ask to a friend of mine to pick it up for me.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Gil R, Manager at Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Hello Fabeni,

Thank you for your recent review on the Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort. We truly appreciate the great feedback that you have provided us and we're glad that your stay with us was "perfect". Thank you for the wonderful comments and we hope to be your hotel of choice when your travels bring you back to Orlando!