“Relaxing stay”

Ranked #190 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Homer, Georgia
“Relaxing stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

My wife and I live in Kissimmee but her brother and his family came down for vacation. They're staying in Cocoa Beach but drove over to Orlando for a day to go to Disney World. We are annual passholders and they bought tickets and we knew we'd be there late so I used some Starwood points for two free nights for my wife and I so we could stay right at the parks. I had read some the not so nice reviews on here and so was leery, but the point value per night was down from what it had been so I booked it for two nights.

I was pleasantly surprised by the resort. The bellhops at the front greeted me as I got out of the car to go check in and the wait at the front desk was negligible. I was greeted there in a pleasant manner and the lobby and surrounding area was very nice. I was checked in quickly and the clerk acknowledged my Preferred Guest status, and upgraded me to one king bed rather than the two queens that was the only thing available for free online. I went back outside to get my parking pass and go park and a different bellhop from before was as warm and welcoming as the first.

We went up to the room and were impressed. I expected a run down room based on the other "haters" on Trip Advisor but it was not run down at all. We put our suitcases away and opened the curtains, and were impressed by the view of the courtyard/pool area. For the first 30 minutes or so of our stay we just sat outside on the balcony relaxing.

The bed was a typical Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed, meaning very comfortable and there were tons of pillows, more than enough. The bathroom was clean and spacious enough for our needs.

Later on that night we wandered around the pool area and stopped at the bar to get a couple of daiquiris and sat drinking them, then wandered some more. On the wall of the water slide they were showing "Frozen." We watched the end of it and then went back to the room. Very relaxing.

Our full day at Disney World the next day (Epcot, Hollywood Studios, back to Epcot for Fast Pass on Soarin', then on to close down Magic Kingdom then back to Epcot to get the car) from 10:45 am to after midnight was helped by the fact that my wife and I didn't have to drive home and only had a mile drive back to the resort.

The checkout process was quick. My wife had already checked out and was waiting on the curb before I even got back with the car.

The one issue I had a problem with (I knew in advance) was the resort fee. Yes we used $10.00 of the $19.95 in parking and used room wi-fi but we did not use the pool, did not use the Disney shuttle. There should be some sort of a la carte option or charge for each service separately so we only pay for what we use.

When making my reservation online I noticed that the discount room rate for me working for an airline was very reasonable for the resort so we probably will be back paid when we just want a "weekend getaway" and feel like tourists.

Green Features: I won't lie. We did the Go Green option to get the points, not because we necessarily agree with it or want to feel good about saving the environment or whatever.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
thepoliteone, General Manager at Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear David L,

Thank you for your recent Trip Advisor posting. I appreciate your comments both positive and constructive. I will certainly share your comments with the team .

Mark Politte

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

I accidentally stayed at this hotel for a work trip. I thought I booked one of the other Sheraton's since they all have similar names, but I landed here. I was here for only one night, and didn't go to the pool or partake in any of the dining. Checkin was easy as was parking. The rest goes downhill. When I pulled up to the hotel, I felt like I was in an episode of the Brady Bunch -- it looked like the late 1960's outside. When you walk into the lobby, however, it is nicely renovated. However, my room left something to be desired. The elevator is in dire need of repair, and I feared I would get trapped in it as it was moving exceptionally slow. Further, other guests told me that other elevators were out of service (which I did not independently verify as I only attempted to use the elevator near my room). The room itself had a popcorn ceiling, an odd sink where the closet should be right when you walk in, and low ceilings. I also had a parking lot view complete with late night yelling amongst the other guests. Needless to say that I slept about 3 hours as I was concerned about safety. I have to admit that clearly someone tried to update the rooms...specifically, there was new subway tile in the shower and also fresh wall paper in that odd sink area right when you enter the room. However, the update seemed like a band-aid.

I recently decided to switch my brand loyalty from Marriott to Starwood, but this Sheraton (a Starwood property) was a nightmare. I think my corporate rate was $190 out the door after the resort fee and taxes...for that price, I would have preferred a lesser Courtyard or similar. Sheratons can be hit or miss...and, this one is a miss in my opinion.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Portland, OR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Nicely redone rooms. Pool area looked nice (but didn't have time to enjoy). Hallways and stairwells looked very worn and in need of updating like the rooms and lobby area had. Had a nice deck overlooking pool. A Disney movie was showing at pool area kind of late and I could hear it but it wasn't horrible. During the conference, the food was actually great and meeting rooms were nice. Could walk across street to other restaurants if we wanted.

Room Tip: Get a room away from parking lots and in higher floors
Green Features: Nice. I got a $5 food/beverage voucher for each day of not having room service done. I did stop attendant in hall and request coffee items, however. Couldn't go a day without that.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Gil R, General Manager at Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear redshoegirl,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and decided to share it on Trip Advisor. If ever your travels take you back to Orlando we would love to be of service to you again.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

It's beautiful there with a pool view. I just love balconies
It so restful at the end of the day to sit outside and look at the stars.
Great location by downtown Disney. My dog was welcomed and they didn't charge me anything.
That's even more wonderful.
Will go back again. This time use the pool it looks so inviting .

• Stayed May 2014
Dear nurseangel54l,

Islamorada, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Close proximity to the parks with a free shuttle. Free self parking very secure!! All help I encountered at the hotel was very pleasant. Specifically Jonathan that checked me in, very nice man. And the bellman Mike, was helpful with restaurants, taxis...etc...The pool area is very well maintained and clean. Cocktails at the outside bar are tasty and the daily specials are a good value. I would normally have given only 4 of 5 because the housekeeping staff lacked just a little. Things weren't perfectly placed from second day on (during a 4 day stay)....also didn't pick up all of the trash left in the room. I'm giving it a 5 anyway because of the value. I found this hotel at less than $100/night and it's worth $150 easily.

Room Tip: If you go to bed before 11pm, don't choose a poolside room. The way the buildings are configure...
Green Features: irrelevant. global warming etc....is all a very large lie made up to allow the left to justify their never ending struggle to choke out freedom and liberties that are due all of us under are current but probably not long lived constitution.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear ken3787,

Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

This place is trashy, feels unsafe, and after I hauled all of my stuff from my car, traveling alone as a female, nobody offered to help me, and I got all the way to my room, which required a drive and getting several bags up alone, the door showed a green light to let me in, but it wouldn't budge. I kicked the door out of frustration at that point, and then hauled ALL of my stuff back to my car, drove to the front desk to share my frustration, and they said - 'oh, sometimes that happens' - and gave me a tip to open the door up and that was it - I demanded a different room, they still didn't offer to help me with my stuff, and didn't try to make up for it in any way at all. The outside of the place is barely 2 star, the rooms are decent, but maybe a 3 star, no more - they still have AC units in all the rooms, not even central air, and it's loud. This place does not deserve it's rating, and as a female traveling alone, I would NOT recommend this to anyone. I'm shocked there is a 4 star rating on this hotel. Someone needs to reconsider this rating because I personally expect at least a little quality at 4 star - oh and they make you pay 20$ extra per day for 'resort fees' - so it's no cheaper than the much nicer hotels close by. STAY AWAY!!

Room Tip: Go anywhere else but here.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank traveler4701
Dear traveler4701,

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I wish I could have connected with you during your stay as I would have liked the opportunity to turn things around. I will certainly share your comments with the appropriate team members. Our bell staff usually does a great job and obviously in your case they did not. I apologize.

Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel in January of this year. I don't know where they took the photo of the pool from for this website because we sure didn't see it. The bed was very comfortable and the room very big, however we were right by the parking lot (2nd floor) and we had people constantly walking by making lots of noise. We also had very noisy delivery trucks in the parking lot very early in the morning. Room clean up was ok but not great. They didn't restock towels and soaps unless we asked and we asked but were never given a Do Not Disturb card. We spent 5 nights and 6 days at this hotel. Didn't agree with the resort fee at all. They are nothing but a gouge!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cindy403
Dear Cindy403,

Thank you for your recent Trip Advisor posting. I appreciate your comments both positive and constructive. I will certainly share your comments with the appropriate team members and we will utilize to improve.