“A great place to stay with kids”

Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort
Ranked #203 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
Tampa, Florida
“A great place to stay with kids”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We stayed at this resort for one night last weekend so that we could avoid the early morning drive from Tampa for a Saturday at Magic Kingdom. At check-in, we were upgraded from the basic room we booked on priceline to a 5th floor pool view room. The lobby, hallways, and room were attractively decorated and very clean. The staff was exceptionally courteous. The elevators were in perfect working order and very close to our room. We also found parking to be very easy to find and close to the lobby. The room itself was not huge, but was certainly adequate and was equipped with a refrigerator and had a very nice balcony that overlooked the pool and grounds.Yes, the AC was a bit noisy, but we were happy about that because it provided much-needed background noise for sleeping in the same room with 2 small children. My 5-year old loved the pool. The bar area was very nice, and no one said anything to me when I gave my kids juice boxes and crackers that I brought from home while my husband and I enjoyed drinks from the bar. We are Starwood Preferred members, so we were happy to discover that we had booked a Starwood hotel on Priceline. The last hotel that we stayed in was a Caroline Astor suite at the St Regis in Washington DC in April, and while this hotel cannot match that in luxury, it certainly held to the same standard of cleanliness, comfort, and courtesy of the staff. We will absolutely stay here again when we need a room in Orlando.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade at check-in, and request a room closer to the elevators if you have small childre...
2 Thank Olivia G
GMLBV, General Manager at Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Dear Olivia G,

I am so happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay and decided to share it on Trip Advisor. I will certainly share your comments with the team. If ever your travels take you back to Orlando we would love to be of service to you again.

Mark Politte

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Atlantic City, New Jersey
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Had an excellent experience staying here for 3 nights. Friendly staff and a great accommodation. Kenzo was super helpful and friendly, she went out of her way to ensure I was satisfied. My phone had broken a few days prior, she took the time to call her personal friend to see if she could help me get it fixed right away.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ankit M
GMLBV, General Manager at Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Ankit M,

I am so glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay and decided to share it on Trip Advisor. Kenzo is really a superstar and thank you for acknowledging her. I will certainly share your comments with her and the rest of the team.

mark.politte@sheratonlbv.com
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed here for just one night on a whim on our way through central Florida. We wanted to eat at and explore some of Disney world, but didn't want to spend the premium dollars on a stay at a Disney resort. This place was great! Clean, well-appointed, nice pool. Nothing special, but very acceptable.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear clhdoctor,

I am so glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay and decided to share it on Trip Advisor. I will certainly share your comments with her and the rest of the team.

mark.politte@sheratonlbv.com
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Been there with my wife and 15 month old for a couple of nights to visit the parks. Hotels are all about hospitality and facilities, and thanks to Kenzo at the the front desk, the this hotel gets five stars on hospitality, she was most welcoming, cheerful and helpful, and offered a very personalized and warm experience. The facilities are well taken care of, and the pool area is really good. The hotel is perfect if you're in and out to visit the parks. Will be back again soon when the young one is a bit older.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Hussam M
GMLBV, General Manager at Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Hussam M,

I am so glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay and decided to share it on Trip Advisor. Also, thank you for mentioning what a great job Kenzo did. We will post this in our associate cafeteria to congratulate her.

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We had an outstanding time. Great property with a great staff. Best lobster bisque on the planet. I want to mention our valet. I don't remember her name, sadly, but she was on the on frontline to a memorable stay. Also Kenzo and Jonathan at the front desk. Last and certainly not least, Jose at the pool. He didn't even want to receive a tip. We made him take otherwise jeopardize a favorable review. Damien, in the restaurant should also be recognized.

1 Thank Anthony B
Dear Anthony B,

I am so glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay and decided to share it on Trip Advisor. Also, thank you for mentioning what a great job Kenzo, Jose, Damien and Jonathan did. We will post this in our associate cafeteria to congratulate her.

Westminster, Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 May 2014

My family (2 adults & 2 kids both between the ages of 10 and 5) very recently (this week) stayed at the Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort in Orlando, Florida. Sadly, it certainly does not live up to its "resort" name.
When we first arrived, we entered through the lobby, and I personally didn't like the lobby's smell, it wasn't anything putrid, it was mainly just a strong perfume like scent. My family didn't mind it though; I was the only one. The man who helped us check in was helpful and nice and gave us our room on the 5th floor.
Upon entering the hallway to our room, we found bags of garbage throughout the grounds (it was mainly because the maids were in the middle of cleaning the rooms), and there was certainly a foul smell. Once we entered the room, we found that the toilet was broken and ran nonstop. We went downstairs quickly to check into another room.
We were given another room on the 2nd floor (to get to our room, you have to walk all the way down the dog hotel room hallway, so if you are allergic, beware of the 2nd floor), which we found nothing wrong with and we decided to stay there (we were at the opposite end of the hall and very far from the elevator, so it was a long walk in the extremely air conditioned hallways.) The lampshades in the room were very dirty and had many fingerprints and smudges on them. Everything was intact though, and even though the sheets on the beds weren't completely soft, everything was still average. The bathroom was incredibly small - 2 could barely fit in it, which is expected with some hotels, but not a resort!
We got dressed to go down to the pool, which we were all excited for, given that this was said to be a resort with a slide and a waterpark-like pool! At the pool though, we didn't find much to be excited about. While the slide was nice, I had concerns with the cleanliness of the slide and whether anyone could really get in there to clean it after so many kids (possibly with colds) went down it. Also, the kids pool with the little waterpark waterfall like things, was disgusting and when you went under with goggles to look at the surface, it was stained and very dirty. Also, there were black birds around the place drinking from the water of the shallow end of the kids pool, which I didn't think was completely inviting. Neither regular pools (kid pool and normal pool) felt completely heated, except for the hot tubs which were almost overheated for kids, though very calming for the adults. The basketball hoops and volleyball net in the kids pool were nice features, though if you go when it is busy, they are almost always being taken up, and if you are sitting near them, you must be alert or you may be hit with a ball flying out of the pool (most likely a hard basketball too!).
We looked at the activities board and we got excited to see that at 6:00 they would be roasting marshmallows and making s'mores. You had to buy the kit at the gift shop inside though, so we figured we would, since we were on vacation. The kit was $26.95 for a small supply of sticks, graham crackers, chocolate, and marshmallows, which, of course, was way overpriced; we did not purchase it.
We were not planning on going to Disney, but we found out that the hotel sold tickets at a discounted price. We talked to a concierge and the whole thing was a total sales pitch. The concierge tried to persuade us into coming back the next weekend for a timeshare event, which would provide us with free parking at Disney, but we politely refused. There was no real discount. At 6:00, before we left for dinner, the marshmallow roasting activity was nowhere to be seen and hardly anyone was even out on the pool decks.
We had a nice dinner at Chevy's in the next parking lot over, and it does feel nice because there are plenty of convenience stores around the hotel if you were to need something or happened to forget to pack something. On our way back up to our room after dinner, I was talking with my kids and my husband was walking far ahead of us. Apparently, he felt like someone had slapped him extremely hard on the back and he said that he felt the punch and everything. None of us did it, and there was definitely no one else present in the hallway, so that was very scary for my children and even the adults. We think it could be haunted or there could be some paranormal activity.
We decided to make a great vacation even if it wasn't the best facility, so we went back to the hotel and decided to go out to the pools (they are open until 11:00.) I wasn't planning on getting in, but I decided I wanted to, so after my husband and kids were dropped off at the pool, I went up to the hotel room to change real quick. As I was changing (alone, remember, my family was downstairs), I heard something at my door. I looked over at the door to see this little slip of paper being slipped through the bottom of the door. I looked and saw it was Orlando Pizza & Subs advertising their express delivery and coupons. That meant I was alone with a man on the other side of the door, which was very unnerving for me and I felt insecure. I waited a bit and walked out and scurried back down to the pool, knowing that just minutes before I was out in that empty, soundless hall, an unknown man was slipping things under my door (and it happened to be a restaurant with bad reviews too!).
The pools were nice at night though, and the whole place was fun, but it certainly wasn't because the hotel was nice, it was because being together in a new surrounding was fun and we were determined to make the best of everything - believe me though, the place was NOT a resort, it was just a hotel with 2 pools and 2 hot tubs.
The marshmallows were being roasted over this fire, but there was no one around roasting or eating, which we figured since the kit is so expensive and they won't let you use anything else.
Later that night, another Orlando Pizza & Subs flier came under the door, again, when I was alone (my husband and kids were exploring a few floors of the hotel). I was watching television this time and didn't hear it, but my kids found it when they came back about 10 minutes later.
The gym is nice and while I didn't have time to work out there, it looks great and is pretty spacious. The game room is overrated and all the games cost money, yet the games are those traditional penny eaters (the claw machines, all those prize games, etc.).
The 2nd day we were there, my husband had to work (we were going off with him on his business trip), so I took the kids down to the pool. The pool had a nice selection of kids of all ages and my kids had the chance to have some social interaction (they are homeschooled and we always want them to get as much interaction as possible).
We were going to go to the poolside bar and order fries for a snack, but the bartender was coughing into his bare hands, so we left. My kids were starting to get a bit tired and red, so we decided to walk up to our room, in the hallway, there was this couple making out right there in the corner of the hallway which was very clear to see. I had to usher my kids away and turn their heads, which of course got them asking why I made them turn their heads. It was a completely inappropriate scene to have happen in the middle of the hallway in a resort with a lot of young kids and families, and while it is not the hotel's fault, I just thought it was so wrong that I had to include it.
We later checked out that day to go home, and while we did make memories and enjoyed it, it wasn't because of the "resort" it was because of the fact that we spent a late night out at the pool together having fun and making the best of things together as a family. I wouldn't recommend this hotel if you are looking for an interactive resort for a family; especially if you aren't planning on going to any local theme parks.
The place was very overrated, and here is a quote:
"It's like putting lipstick on a pig." ~ My Husband
P.S. - try for the Swan/Dolphin hotel in Disney - it is much, much nicer.

3 Thank Angelina F
Dear Angelina F,

Thank you for your Trip Advisor posting. I appreciate your comments both positive and constructive. I will certainly share your comments with the team and we will utilize to improve.

Northville, Michigan
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at the Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort. We found the hotel to be very comfortable. The room was nice, with a balcony with room for two. The service and the staff was great! Very nice Pool area.

Green Features: They offered a program to not have the rooms serviced every day, saving water, etc. I thought that this was a nice touch.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Bruce C
GMLBV, General Manager at Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Bruce C,

I am so glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay and decided to share it on Trip Advisor. If ever your travels take you back to Orlando we would love to be of service to you again.