“Updates still leave more to be desired”

Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort
Ranked #199 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
“Updates still leave more to be desired”
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

The lobby and common areas as well as the pool are fantastic! This is definitely where the bulk of the "upgrade money" was used up. So if this is where you'll be spending most of your time, then I can see how it would be worth the pretty high price.
The elevators on the other hand were not upgraded. They're down right scary! All of the rooms are exterior corridor, so if you get caught in one of FL's almost daily thunder showers, you're going to get soaking wet -- especially if you're a haul from the elevator like we were.
The bathrooms are TINY! But the good news is that the toilet and shower are in a separate room from the vanity. That helps. I'm not a fan of carpet in the vanity area, but that's just my preference.
The location is really good. Plenty of good restaurants and shopping within walking distance. There are shuttles to the major attractions (Disney and Universal).

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Shanculbertson
GMLBV, General Manager at Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Shanculbertson,

Thank you for staying with us and I appreciate your posting on Trip Advisor. We are in the process of upgrading our elevators. We are doing one at a time so that we do not disrupt our guest experience. Perhaps during your next visit you will see a brand new elevator cab as well experience all new mechanics. Building 4 is our suite building and it does have exterior corridors. The other three buildings are interior corridor. If you are more comfortable with an interior corridor and I can certainly make sure you are in this section of the resort.

Again, thanks for staying with us and we would love to be of service to you again.

Mark Politte

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Lithia, Florida
Reviewed 13 June 2014

This Sheraton is a great option in Orlando if you want to me near parks or just get away and hang out at a hotel. I loved it!! did not do parks, I just hung out with my girl. We had breakfast, lunch and dinner here at a reasonable price. Kenzo at customer service took great care of us. She is very professional and friendly. I will certainly make this a place for our get away from Tampa. Oh and the pool area, very clean, with just enough for the kids. Loved this place!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear darlene,

I am so glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay and decided to post it on Trip Advisor. Thanks for acknowledging Kenzo. She is one of our superstars. If ever your travels take you back to Orlando we would love to be of service to you again.

Miami Lakes, Florida
Reviewed 12 June 2014

It's less than a 5 minute drive to Downtown Disney and I-4. The rooms are clean and spacious, the bed and pillows are delicious, we all slept like babies. The staff is by far the most accommodating I have ever experienced in any hotel. Brandy the hotel manager and her staff bring back the true meaning of customer service from check-in to check-out. I am definitely staying there again, can't wait for next year. Valet never made us wait too long, and it was a very busy weekend, so I was definitely impressed. The housekeeping staff were courteous greeting us with a smile on their face, and always on point, providing us with extra towels as needed, coffee and most importantly water. Pool side service and inside bar, as well as restaurant were great. The food came exactly as ordered in a timely manner, and we had some picky folks with us, so again I was impressed. They have a spa, but I didn't have them time to take advantage, but I hope to next time I visit. I give Brandy and her staff a round of applause for the excellent service. Thank you for making our 5 days there a memorable experience.

Room Tip: A room with a pool view is worth it, especially in the main building.
Green Features: There were recycling bins in the rooms and through out the hotel, towels were only replaced if requested to conserve water usage.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
GMLBV, General Manager at Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear melladrama,

I am so glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay and decided to share it on Trip Advisor. Brandy is a superstar and I appreciate you taking time to write about her.

Foulridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stayed for 2 weeks during our holiday to Florida. LIke most Orlando hotels the rooms were basic but clean with fresh towels and bed linen. We found the staff helpful and the hotel overall very clean. It is in a good location close to Disney. It's not 7 star luxury but it does the jobs you require as a room and good base as you spend most of the day and night at theme parks or other attractions and restaurants in the area.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
GMLBV, General Manager at Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear loz626,

Thank you for staying with us and posting your stay on Trip Advisor. I am glad that you found us clean and good base for your time at the parks. If ever your travels take you back to Orlando we would love to be of service to you again.

Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The hotel stay was ok, but there were 2 issues. Desk lamp burnt out; 2nd I found a 1" brown hairball beside the bed in front of the night stand.

I called, asked for them to clean the room the next day. Light was fixed but did not vacuum. I called again, finally a 3rd time. Someone came at 8 p.m. and finally vacuumed.

Nice workout room, lots of machines, very clean. Cold towels when finished and cold water.

Room Tip: Building 2 had good wireless connectivity and you should ask for a view to the pool.
Green Features: Perhaps a little too overzealous. The eco card means no service. If you hang out the "Do not disturb" sign, they don't come in either. They need a card that says - "Please make beds and clean up and leave coffee"
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear yogimeister,

Thank you for staying with us. I am so sorry that you found a hairball in your room. I will certainly share this with our housekeeping department and I can assure you this is an isolated incident and not the norm.

Kentucky
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel for 1 night and I encountered more issues in that short amount of time than I have at any other hotel EVER.
At check in, we were given a room in the building furthest from the front desk(Building 4, I believe). We were directed around the side of the building and the speed bumps I had to drive over sounded like they ripped off the bottom of my car. We then parked, unloaded our car, and brought our items up to our given room.
Upon opening the door to the room we were assigned, it was clear the room should not have been given to us. The beds were not fully made and an industrial fan was blowing the soaking wet floor where there had obviously been some sort of leak or problem. I immediately called the front desk and was placed on hold for 5 minutes. When I was finally able to explain the problem, I was told keys to a new room would be brought up. We decided to wait out in the hallway, as the musty smell of the room was overpowering. A maintenance man came out of a neighboring room and went down the elevator a few minutes after we entered the hallway. He returned to the room 15 minutes later and questioned why we were STILL standing in the hallway. I explained the situation and he called the front desk to find our new room #. He helped us carry our stuff to the new room and also let us in. They finally brought the new keys to our new room over 30 minutes after my initial call to the front desk.
The new room was fine so we decided to get online to find somewhere to eat for dinner. The wi-fi would not work on any of our devices. The signal wasn't strong enough.
We returned around 11pm and there were ZERO parking spots available. There is some sort of banquet hall at the rear of the hotel and whatever was taking place that night was a large event. I had reached the end of my rope! I drove up to the front desk and let the girl know how frustrated I was with everything I was experiencing. She just blankly stared back at me with a smirk on her face which aggravated me even more! No offer for an upgrade, partial refund, not even an apology. Thankfully a man standing at the desk next to her(Rodney?) chimed in and offered to valet park my car free of charge. Still not ideal since I now had to walk all the way back to my room from the front desk, but I knew that was my only option if I wanted my car parked. On the way to our room, we heard the engine of my car being revved up several times. I am hoping the valet was just unfamiliar with the stick shift of my sports car and had a difficult time getting it in gear, but based on my other experiences I'm not so sure........
The remainder of our stay was uneventful, thankfully! I was honestly insulted, however when at check out I was told I would still be charged the $21.95 resort fee! Are you kidding me?! For what?? Wi-Fi that didn't work? Parking that wasn't available? Unbelievable.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Tamara6959
Dear Tamara6959,

Thank you for staying with us and I am sorry that you encountered problems during your stay. Being a Disney Good Neighbor Resort we have a lot of children staying with us and we have speed bumps in our parking lot as a safety measure. The speed bumps are of normal height.

As for how you found your room I have no excuse for that and I am sorry that you found it that way. It is obvious that we had a communication issue between our staff members and I will certainly share your comments with them so that this does not occur again.

The resort is made up of four buildings and yes building four is the furthest from the front desk, but walking this many times a day it is only a two minute walk from the lobby. If you felt this was too far I apologize.

I will also share you comments regarding the valet. Our valets are trained to be respectful of our guest cars.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We stayed at this resort for one night last weekend so that we could avoid the early morning drive from Tampa for a Saturday at Magic Kingdom. At check-in, we were upgraded from the basic room we booked on priceline to a 5th floor pool view room. The lobby, hallways, and room were attractively decorated and very clean. The staff was exceptionally courteous. The elevators were in perfect working order and very close to our room. We also found parking to be very easy to find and close to the lobby. The room itself was not huge, but was certainly adequate and was equipped with a refrigerator and had a very nice balcony that overlooked the pool and grounds.Yes, the AC was a bit noisy, but we were happy about that because it provided much-needed background noise for sleeping in the same room with 2 small children. My 5-year old loved the pool. The bar area was very nice, and no one said anything to me when I gave my kids juice boxes and crackers that I brought from home while my husband and I enjoyed drinks from the bar. We are Starwood Preferred members, so we were happy to discover that we had booked a Starwood hotel on Priceline. The last hotel that we stayed in was a Caroline Astor suite at the St Regis in Washington DC in April, and while this hotel cannot match that in luxury, it certainly held to the same standard of cleanliness, comfort, and courtesy of the staff. We will absolutely stay here again when we need a room in Orlando.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade at check-in, and request a room closer to the elevators if you have small childre...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Olivia G
GMLBV, General Manager at Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Dear Olivia G,

I am so happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay and decided to share it on Trip Advisor. I will certainly share your comments with the team. If ever your travels take you back to Orlando we would love to be of service to you again.