We stayed at the Holiday Inn across from Universal late April/early May 2014 (end of Easter).
We booked a one bedroom suite for two single women, so we'd each have our own space.
The hotel was easy to find and has free parking.
The reception area is fine, it has a waiting area with tv plus a games room just round the corner. It also has two further desks that you use to book the complimentary shuttles and to buy Park tickets. We used both desks and the staff were great. The general reception staff got used to seeing us pretty quickly as we had one of the last safes/lock boxes (which we used for our laptop etc every day).
Safes - this a bit of a sore subject at this hotel. They still have safety deposit type safes at this hotel; they're located in a room behind reception... and there are only about 20/30 of them (we were lucky to get one).
The carpets and general decor of this hotel in the public areas (other than reception) could do with updating; there was bit of a musty smell for a few days from the carpet, but they saw to this and had the whole area cleaned (guess someone had dropped something).
Our suite was great, can't really fault it. Two big TVs, one in each room. Kitchen area with fridge/freezer, microwave, toaster etc. The bath was little small, but to be expected in a hotel of it's age. The beds were lovely and comfortable to me, but too soft for my friend, luckily she was relegated to the sofabed which she found to be fine.
Housekeeping was pretty hit and miss for our whole stay, forgetting to replace towels, cups and coffee. Reception always had a stock, so it was easy to replace the missing items, but it was annoying to keep having to ask.
The pool is very small (the pictures online make it look much bigger than it is) and there were only a handful of sun loungers, plenty of table and chairs with parasols though.
TGI Fridays is attached to the hotel, which came in very handy when we had some pretty spectacular storms (which we watched from our 9th floor room window; amazing). We didn't need to go out into the torrential rain to get dinner, like I'm sure others had to, so we were pretty happy. We didn't try their breakfast, however it looked like it'd be a much smaller selection from the buffet area size than you'd get at a Ponderosa etc.
The hotel is one of the closest to Universal, with DoubleTree being the same just across the road. The walk to the Universal is actually quite nice, but we also used the free shuttle a few times.
All in all, if I were going back to Orlando and planned to be going to Universal a lot, I would stay at the Holiday Inn again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn & Suites across from Universal Orlando is located in the heart of Central Florida's exciting attractions, convention and shopping area. Visit our recently renovated hotel just across the street from the Universal Orlando Resort. Our property features a variety of room types to fit any traveler's needs from Deluxe Guest Rooms with two double beds or a king size bed, and spacious One or Two-Bedroom Suites with nicely equipped kitchenette including microwave and refrigerator. Must be at least 21 to stay. Fabulous amenities to enhance your visit to Orlando such as Game Room, Gift Shop, Guest Laundry Facilities and Valet Service, Fitness Center, Business Center, Outdoor Heated Pool and Kids Splash Zone and the Destination Universal Guest Services Desk with discount attraction tickets to Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure, Sea World and Wet n' Wild. Complimentary Limited Scheduled transportation to Universal Orlando, Sea World and Wet n' Wild. Shuttle transportation schedule subject to change seasonally, service provided through the Destination Universal Guest Services Desk, advance reservations required. TGI Friday's Restaurant on-property serving Breakfast Buffet, Lunch and Dinner, Bar offers Happy Hour daily. TGI Friday's also serving room service. Banquet/Meeting facilities feature 12,000 sq. ft. of flexible function space including 6,500 square foot ballroom and 8 break out rooms. Our experienced team will make your stay or event with us special. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Southall Travel and Odigeo so you can book your Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn & Suites Main Gate To Universal Orlando Hotel Orlando
- Holiday Inn And Suites Main Gate To Universal Orlando
- Holiday Inn Orlando
- Holiday Inn & Suites Across From Universal Orlando Florida