First impression on arrival was impressive.Check in very smooth and reception staff ultra efficient and a pleasure to deal with.
The hotel is designed intelligently ie if there is a queue to check in there is a very nice waiting area to relax,watch some TV,read the paper and browse the very reasonably priced gift shop,which had some pretty decent stuff (not the usual tat you get in some places) and if the kids need entertaining a games room to play in.
The ridiculously fast lift propels you to your floor faster than the space shuttle.
We were allocated a room on the second floor but as it overlooked the staff break area/incoming goods area we requested a change and within 15 minutes of the request were given room 740 (a suite) and it could not be faulted.OK the view wasn't the best,but if you want views go to the Lake District! The beds were super comfy,TVs in both rooms,a big fridge,toaster,microwave and a really dinky but cracking coffee maker.
Room cleaned every day,fresh towels,hoovered,stocks (tea,coffee)replenished daily) I really could not fault the maid service and made sure that she got a good tip.Only gripe was lack of cutlery (but that would be knit-picking)
Big negative now and not the fault of the hotel. YOU DO NOT GET A COMPLIMENTARY BREAKFAST if you book with Thomson which really rattled me as I spoke to them (Thomson) several times before the holiday and they assured me that you get a breakfast.........you do if you stay at the other Holiday Inn just down from Kirkman Road but not this one! I was not a happy bunny when they told me this.
15 minutes walk to Universal Studios so ultra convenient and an I Trolley stop just outside (over the road) from the hotel.This being a superb feature of this hotel.
The TGI Friday that is 'bolted on' to the hotel was a touch disappointing and could do with a make-over as its tired and some (not all) of the staff were not up to it (in my opinion).Food was good though and super convenient if you dont want to venture out after a hard day in the parks.
if you do want to venture out but not endure the road works that blight I-Drive at the moment you can walk to several eating holes close by - We used the Orlando/Millers ale house quite a few times and had some really good food (very reasonably priced) loads of TVs on and a great atmosphere.Kobe Chinese/Steak house not to be missed which is almost next-door (really nice but a little bit more expensive as you would expect).Golden Coral we gave a miss as we dont do eating off plastic plates (but im told the food is good)
Overall the hotel was spot-on,location superb,staff excellent.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn & Suites across from Universal Orlando is located in the heart of Central Florida's exciting attractions, convention and shopping area. Visit our recently renovated hotel just across the street from the Universal Orlando Resort. Our property features a variety of room types to fit any traveler's needs from Deluxe Guest Rooms with two double beds or a king size bed, and spacious One or Two-Bedroom Suites with nicely equipped kitchenette including microwave and refrigerator. Must be at least 21 to stay. Fabulous amenities to enhance your visit to Orlando such as Game Room, Gift Shop, Guest Laundry Facilities and Valet Service, Fitness Center, Business Center, Outdoor Heated Pool and Kids Splash Zone and the Destination Universal Guest Services Desk with discount attraction tickets to Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure, and SeaWorld. Complimentary Limited Scheduled transportation to Universal Orlando and SeaWorld. Transportation to Walt Disney World also available. Shuttle transportation schedule subject to change seasonally, service provided through the Destination Universal Guest Services Desk, advance reservations required. TGI Friday's Restaurant on-property serving Breakfast Buffet, Lunch and Dinner, Bar offers Happy Hour daily. TGI Friday's also serving room service. Banquet/Meeting facilities feature 13,000 sq. ft. of flexible function space including 6,500 square foot ballroom and 8 break out rooms. Our experienced team will make your stay or event with us special. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Southall Travel, IHG, Hotel.de, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn & Suites Main Gate To Universal Orlando Hotel Orlando
- Holiday Inn And Suites Main Gate To Universal Orlando
- Holiday Inn Orlando
- Holiday Inn & Suites Across From Universal Orlando Florida