“Surprisingly Nice and Clean. Very nice and helpfull staff.”

Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando
Ranked #169 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed 16 October 2005

Me and two others stayed in this Holiday Inn across from the Universal Main gate on October 12th. We were in a 1 bed room suite, and it was very nice. You can tell that they are in process of renovating the entire Hotel, but they really made our floor, and room look nice. We were on the second floor. I was extreamly worried about the quality of the hotel, due to the negitive reviews, but I got a really good discount with them through a family member, so I deciede to try the Hotel. After one night here, I decieded to reserve a 2 bed room suite for later on in October for my other small vacation for H.H.N. This is not a vary fancy hotel, just really the basic stuff, but either way, it is very nice/simple/plain/clean.

• Stayed: October 2005
7  Thank John V
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando

Reviewed 11 October 2005

I stayed at this hotel as part of a Northwest World Vacations Package. After a long day of flying I wanted to take a walk for some exercise. I asked about walking to the International Drive area, but was cautioned against it. It was suggested that I walk over at Universal's City Walk, but recommended that I take a cab. I was told it would cost about $6. They called the "taxi" for me, but when it showed up, it wasn't a taxi at all. It was a limo service with no meter. The driver took me to Universal and told me the fare was $7, not $6. I grudgingly paid. For my return, I decided to take one of the real cabs from the cab stand at Universal. The trip back cost only $3.25! The following morning, I found out I could have taken the trolly to International Drive area for only 75 cents. The hotel is nothing special, drab 60's era Holiday Inn. I wouldn't recommend it unless you had no other options.

• Stayed: October 2005
5  Thank MrBillMi
A TripAdvisor Member
North Yorkshire, UK
Reviewed 11 August 2005

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel for a week and were very impressed. We booked at very short notice (having fled an extremely unpleasant motel on 192) and were treated with courtesy and sympathy. Our room was great - large, clean and comfortable with views of the pool. We could watch the fireworks at Universal each night from our balcony. The adjoining restaurant (TGI Friday's) was fine - and free for my daughter, and room service was great. Best of all, the staff at this hotel are fantastic - they made us feel very welcome indeed and were able to answer all our questions. There is a Universal ticket office in the lobby, which we found handy, and it was great to be able to walk (15 minutes) to Universal. The only slight problem we had was some young boys in the hotel making prank calls to our room - but I reported this to the front desk, and it was dealt with immediately by security - the boys phoned back ten minutes later to apologise. I would certainly recommend this hotel if you plan to visit Universal, though you'd definitely need a car to get to Disney from here.

• Stayed: August 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 July 2005

Recently our family spent an evening at the Holiday Inn in Orlando Universal entrance. We decided upon the Holiday Inn because of its reputation and its location. Location of this motel was wonderful--very convenient to Universal Studios and the people at the hotel were friendly and helpful.

Now the problems: First room we were not able to open the door with our key, returned to front desk, we were moved to a new room. Similar problem—now we are not “motel rookies” and we know how to use the card key, but this door was very stubborn. We finally won out and were able to get into our room.

I was very unimpressed with the cleanliness of our room, the condition of our mattress and the bad condition of the bathroom. Bathtub had been refinished some how and finish was peeling off. Ceiling was in rough shape and I spent 20 minutes wiping up the bathroom before we felt comfortable using it. It was late, we were tired, disappointed in our meal at the connecting TGI Fridays and we didn’t feel like moving again. So instead of complaining, I cleaned up.

Discussed this with personnel at check out, they were very apologetic and reduced bill. This was a good resolution to the problem in the morning, but I would have preferred a clean and comfortable room.

Next issue—TGI Friday connected to the motel. It was interesting, on our way back from our supper we heard wait staff outside complaining about the poor tips that they were receiving. I have a clue folks—your service was unacceptable—horrible in fact! We waited for 20 minutes to get waited on, waited another 20 minutes to get a salad after being told it was ready and another 40 minutes to get our food and no follow-up. Nope, it wasn’t busy! Lots of people running around, but very inefficient. My bet is if service was improved tips would improve as well.

This motel could be wonderful with the needed maintenance and cleaning. Again--the people were wonderful! Which is certainly a plus.

4  Thank sportsmom2x2
Reviewed 22 July 2005

I checked in on Jul 18 night with booking thru travel agent in HK. This is the most terrible hotel that I had spent my vacation.
I stayed on the 4th floor.

1) The room smells.
2) Air - condiitioner too much noise. Well, it is not noise. It is like an old truck has the engine on next to you all the time.
3) Cockcoaches in the room.
4) Water for shower is weak like drippling.
5) flea bites found on my son within 5 minutes entering the room. then my wife.
6) Walls are dirty.
7) Carpet is moisted and very very dirty.
8) bath room is not clean.

Now, I checked in another hotel near by with a similar rate but a much cleaner room. All I ask for is a clean room to stay for the nights.

sorry, I should have taken photo to post it here.

• Stayed: July 2005
4  Thank a90394466
A TripAdvisor Member
Florida
Reviewed 17 July 2005

My wife and I traveled here to Orlando to visit the Magic Kingdom...We are Holiday Inn "Priority Club" members so we decided to stay at this Holiday Inn being that it is very close to Disney's Magic Kingdom, and also because we are trying to build incentive "points" for always choosing Holiday Inn(s). This is one time I wish we would have chosen a different location.
We rented a room for one night, paid $89.00 plus tax. We were assigned to the 6th floor. As we were walking down the 6th floor corridor we could smell a musty aroma, and there was litter all through the hallway, as well as trash bags and dirty linen. Each step we took we could hear the squishing sound of water in the carpet. Upon entering our room we couldn't believe the condition of the room. The floor/carpet was damp and soggy to the step, and the paint was totally missing in very large area of the walls. The room was very bleak. I immediately telephoned the front desk and spoke with the Guest Manager Mr. Jeremy Butts. I told Mr. Butts that this room was unacceptable and under no circumstance was my wife and I going to stay in that room. Mr. Butts reassigned us to the 4th floor. The hallway on the 4th floor was in the same shape as that on the 6th. Wet and smelly, and very cluttered with bed linens and towels and trash. The hallway smelled of...feet?!? We entered the room (mainly to escape the smell of the hallway) and there we totally lost all of our vacation spirit. The room was damp, smelly and was decorated with flea market furnishings. Again, we told Mr. Butts that we could not understand how this Hotel could rent rooms in such a condition, and that the aroma of the hallways and rooms had actually effected us physically. We were going to leave the hotel for any other place when my wife had a 1-on-1 talk with Mr. Butts...we were assigned a room on the 10th floor, the hotels "best" floor. Suffice it to say that we did stay in this 10th floor room, but not because it was satisfactory, but because we were tired of dragging luggage around and we wanted to just go to Disney and come back to sleep and then go home.
This hotel is in such bad condition that I feel it should be totally condemned, and classified as unfit and unsafe to the public. Who inspects hotels for the safety of the public? There is no way this hotel could pass a health and safety inspection by a legit inspector!
I have attached several photos of our 10th floor room. The photos will show that the beds are very old and worn and stained. The pillows appeared to be urine stained. The carpet was not tacked down and was peeled up at the corners. When I pulled back the peeled up edge I found nasty "Q" tips, nails, dirt and ants. There was food stuck on the ceiling. The sliding glass door had a space between the wall and the door jamb that allowed outside weather to come in the room, and also allowed the a/c to escape the room. The balcony was muddy and strown with cigarette butts. The carpet was disgusting and very wet. This room was the better of the three. The hotel did reduce my nightly rate from $89.00 to $69.00...$29.00 would have been too much for this place! Note: I have found out that this hotel has been severely damaged as a direct result of several hurricanes and tropical storms over the past couple of years, thus the hotel leaks due to structural damage. This hotel is very nasty and very unsafe. Needs to be closed down and rebuilt.

• Stayed: July 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 June 2005

There was certainly nothing wrong with this hotel but there was nothing great either. It appears older from the outside but the rooms are large and clean. It is right across from Universal but still a long way from the gates. We drove over to Universal and parked for $13 on the preferred parking level. The hotel has a shuttle but it didn't run as often as we would have liked so rather than wait around after a tiring day, we just drove. It was a quiet hotel and we had no problems. If you're looking for a memorable place to stay this probably isn't the place for you, but if you're just looking for a clean reasonable place to sleep, this hotel is fine.

Stayed: June 2005